I am no legal expert but as far as I understand it its legal to purchase a longgun out of state and bring it back to NJ as long as the gun is NJ Legal and a purchaser paper is completed. With certain rifles you need to be really careful especially with AR'S, AK's, SKS and other types of battle rifles to make sure they are NJ compliant. I do know that you cannot purchase a handgun out of state without having it transfered back to a NJ FFL dealer. I am unsure of the legality of purchasing ammo out of state and bringing it back. To be safe I would either buy it local or order it online where its legal. I hope this helps!

Yes, you can. People here do it all the time. Just make sure it's NJ legal before you bring it back into the state. If you buy a non-NJ compliant rifle in DE, make sure you have them to the compliance work before you bring it back here.

i just bought a rifle in de last month. not only is there no sales tax, but no nics fees either!! if the rifle is 500, 500 is what you pay :D

We're lucky here in Carneys Point and Pennsville only 3.5% tax on taxable goods, and with in 5 minutes of the bridge. Its just a shame all the good gun stores are out of state or an hour away.

As to OP: Yes it is legal as long as you follow the evil features and banned by name clauses. It HAS to go through an FFL though. And just follow local ordinances. I know Wilmington has a thing against guns, they need to be cased and locked when traveling.