Sign in to follow this  
Bully

Opinions on Winchester primers?

I can't seem to find CCI or Federal locally. And, I missed getting in on the NNJ Powder Valley thread. One of the shops that I have had dealings with has Winchester primers in stock. Anyone have any opinions on them? I am unfamiliar with them (as I am with most things reloading) and would like some informed opinions.

Thanks to all that can help out.

Christopher

I have used winchester primers ( lg pistol, small pistol and small rifle) for my pistols for the last 10 years with no complaints.

I use Federal small pistol for my glock loads.

You will find that if you are reloading for a glock or revolver with some work done to it, you should consider using Federal primers. They are not as hard as the others.

Winchester should be fine. After the last shortage, the QC dropped a little. Duds went form maybe 1 in 10k to 1 in 5k as a rough guesstimate. Biggest culprit was missing anvils, so it is at least something you could visually check for. If they aren't of that vintage, the only issue is that they aren't quite as round as they used to be. They used to be awesome for a vibra-prime or the like and now have plenty that stick. Also, for tight brass they used to work well, but your odds of jsut crushing the primer cup on one side is much higher now. The roundness problem is something CCI always has had as well as wolf. CCI's cups are tougher though which made it less bad except for tube loading devices.

I only use Winchester primers. I will use the CCI34 and 41 primers in my M1A and AR. I cant say I have ever had a failure to fire from any of them in years. I do not like CCI 200 and 400 primers at all. They flatten out on moderate loads. Flattened primers usually occur with hot loads. I can use the winchester primer with the same loads and the dont flatten out.

Ken

Winchester should be fine. After the last shortage, the QC dropped a little. Duds went form maybe 1 in 10k to 1 in 5k as a rough guesstimate. Biggest culprit was missing anvils, so it is at least something you could visually check for. If they aren't of that vintage, the only issue is that they aren't quite as round as they used to be. They used to be awesome for a vibra-prime or the like and now have plenty that stick. Also, for tight brass they used to work well, but your odds of jsut crushing the primer cup on one side is much higher now. The roundness problem is something CCI always has had as well as wolf. CCI's cups are tougher though which made it less bad except for tube loading devices.

I have problems with large primers. The last three don't drop into the primer tray and I have an occaisional failure to pick up a primer. I use CCI primers and have no problems with the small primers. I think I still have some Winchester large primers. I will have to see if my primer problems are due to the brand of primer rather than my equipment which is a Dillon 550. Anyone have similar problems with CCI large primers?

I prime by hand with an RCBS thingy. Should be ok?

C

Unless an anvil is missing, I don't believe their variation roundness/flaring of the cup will matter to a hand priming tool or manual filling of priming tubes. Pre 2008 they used to be my favorite.