Bishop

Pressure switch attachment question

Hello fellers,

New AR-15 guy here.

Just got a M&P 15 Sport and have been upgrading some things.

It's spanky new and hasn't seen any rounds as I don't have access to any ranges and have to hit PA in a few weeks just to even sight it in and play some.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone has input on what to use to attach a light pressure switch directly to the quadrail body, not the tabs, the vented body.

Have a perfect spot for it directly under the side rail light, in the valley between rails, where my index or middle finger can just slide up to comfortably and easily use it while gripping a maggrip.

The spot is perfect and am at the moment using velcro and am concerned if there will be a heat issue.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, just hate the idea of velcro and heat long term.

Thanks in advance

Check out the larue rail index clips

http://www.laruetactical.com/indexclips-72-piece-set

they come with a few with a little tail on them to hold the wire coming off the tape switch. Maybe you could work them to hold the tape switch in the gap as well.

Automotive double stick tape. Strong stuff. Put out by 3M... Used for doublesticking a lot of stuff. OR, Silicone Cement. Peels off easy if you don't like it. Or what they said above.

vladtepes, I should have been more specific, the Magpul AFG (Angled Fore-Grip), not maggrip, like in your picture. Sorry for the confusing typing :)

The Thorntail mount looks great, but am running a 2 point sling attached to the forward end of the rail with a magpul RSA, so my light is on the other side, the RSA needs some play room so am keeping the side and top clear, thus the need for a pressure switch.

Have 3m double tape that is tuff as heck, but so tuff that removal would be an issue if needed, DirtyDigz, the 3M Command may be a good alternative, but from using it on glass, the peel I think would bend the crap out of the switch ... thus the velcro ... unless .. I get plain velcro and 3M that down secure, same on the switch ... that may work and not force removal to a possible breaking point.

May have enough room for some larue clips with the tabs as well and slide the the light back a bit on the rail and sticky to that.

I'm comfy with the industrial velco securing together and safe as it would be in the well between the rails, just the heat buildup is my main concern.

I should take a pic.

Here is the perfect spot, when gripping, just a slight movement of the left index and its there below the light.

Back of velcro already stopped sticking to the pad ... go figure .. never had luck with industrial velcro backing, industrial velcro with non-industrial glue.

I'm thinking double sided tape to the velcro see how the adhesion holds to the metal, the velcro glue, the rubber on the pad itself, and if it can handle heat.

Can the quadrail get that hot???

Haven't shot it yet so don't know.

switch.jpg

Update:

Double side is working on velcro and on quadrail.

However, seems the pad itself is covered with a silicone based rubber .. nothing sticks.

So .... dug into the tackle box ... Pro's Soft Bait Glue ..... bonds the rubber that does not bond... specialty glue for odd rubber/silicone etc .. good to have around and pliable, highly recommend to have in the toolbox/fridge... bonded a piece of velcro ..... its stuck.

If the 3m doesn't hold to the metal for the opposit velcro, will try gorilla glue ... have great success with it on things.

I may have this licked, and the pad cap has a finely possitioned button that I can also reach fast.

I think I may be cooking with gas now, will see.

BTW, am impressed with the Jetbeam BC25 ... 650 lumens watertight shallow for around $50, I think $10 for the mount. Compared to more expensive lights I have, nice. Not waterproof but I don't expect to go under like my fishing lights.

vladtepes, I should have been more specific, the Magpul AFG (Angled Fore-Grip), not maggrip, like in your picture. Sorry for the confusing typing :)

The Thorntail mount looks great, but am running a 2 point sling attached to the forward end of the rail with a magpul RSA, so my light is on the other side, the RSA needs some play room so am keeping the side and top clear, thus the need for a pressure switch.

Have 3m double tape that is tuff as heck, but so tuff that removal would be an issue if needed, DirtyDigz, the 3M Command may be a good alternative, but from using it on glass, the peel I think would bend the crap out of the switch ... theus the vlecro ... unless .. I get plain velcro and 3M that down secure, same on the switch ... that may work and not force removal to a possible breaking point.

May have enough room for some larue clips with the tabs as well and slide the the light back a bit on the rail and sticky to that.

I'm comfy with the industrial velco securing together and safe as it would be in the well between the rails, just the heat buildup is my main concern.

I should take a pic.

I run an RSA on my AR in 308... bring the RSA all the way back behind the AFG, on the top pointed towards your support hand side....... I run a similar setup on my 556 AR (the one pictured)... it keeps the sling away from my support hand when running the gun hard.. you can see it in the pic I posted... it still provides plenty of support..

Here is the perfect spot, when gripping, just a slight movement of the left index and its there below the light. Back of velcro already stopped sticking to the pad ... go figure .. never had luck with industrial velcro backing, industrial velcro with non-industrial glue. I'm thinking double sided tape to the velcro see how the adhesion holds to the metal, the velcro glue, the rubber on the pad itself, and if it can handle heat. Can the quadrail get that hot??? Haven't shot it yet so don't know. switch.jpg

all depends on how you run a afg.. I do not cradle it in my hand... my thumb runs down the bore of that gun pointed forward up high... to control the gun... my finger tips are on the bottom of the afg...

similar to this...

AFG_9.jpg

with a really solid hold... it puts my thumb right in line with the momentary switch...

further no cables or wires to get caught up on or break...

the hailey mount is extremely lightweight and simple...

lightweight and simple streamlines the fighting gun..keeps it light and fast..

if you are insistent on running a switch.. the best switch setup I ran was a surefire rail mounted switch at 12 oclock... right where your thumb should be..... if you do not currently shoot that way... give it a fair try.. its awkward at first but it really shows you how much control you can gain over the gun..

also just to add. if you run a high quality switch like surefire with a straight cable.. th larue clips do an amazing job of holding it...

But again the switch was never the "best" setup for me..

here is the surefire switch mounted at 12... like I had it at first..

arvlad8.jpg

I run an RSA on my AR in 308... bring the RSA all the way back behind the AFG, on the top pointed towards your support hand side....... I run a similar setup on my 556 AR (the one pictured)... it keeps the sling away from my support hand when running the gun hard.. you can see it in the pic I posted... it still provides plenty of support..

Have been debating that, just getting used to the vtac sling and getting the length right.

Gonna try it in the back position, now my grip is the RSA is on the left pointing up, thumb rests on its base and rails cover next to it. Can feel it in the way.

Will set it back ... was worried that the rear attachment is at the rear of the lower, not on the butt, thought they may be too close.

If I feel comfy with it back and the rear so close, then will move the light to the left, button will be right near the thumb I'm guessing.

Fellas, thank you all for the input!

Damn glad I found this site! :)

the other thing is when you run it on the top pointing towards your support hand and you drop the gun to transition to sidearm the sling is attaching to the gun right where it comes under your arm.. again keeping it tighter to the body and keeping extra webbing out of the way...

Everyone, thanks for all the input.

vladtepes, moved the RSA back to the rear of the forgrip and on top, vtac sling works fine, actually better and am adjusting it for fit.

So moved the light to the left side, and on a budget so used a offset light mount I had on the top rail, lets me snug up my grip with the left hand pretty much unimpeded. Very nice.

Light is in the optic area but just barely and not in the way of red dot or sites. It's not as far forward as the thorntail but close and is very doable, so switched to the regular button cap .. good thing as the pressure pad cap was playing games already ... tried to contact jetbeam to get an answer .. not worth the time ... it has a mind of its own as to when it wants to work, something going on in the cap, the regular back is so far solid 100% so thank you for the input.

Once the budget opens up, would like to move it forward some more and out of the red dot sight.

All in all, very happy with everything. Ready for a test drive once I get some time. Need some outside time to adjust, sight in, and get comfy with everything ... the vtac slings I'm finding interesting and may switch even the 870 and a 22 over too them, interesting slings and carry options .. only compalint is the pull string.... just made a longer rattlesnake paracord pull and much better now.

Again all, much appreciated :)

the other thing is when you run it on the top pointing towards your support hand and you drop the gun to transition to sidearm the sling is attaching to the gun right where it comes under your arm.. again keeping it tighter to the body and keeping extra webbing out of the way...

Finally picked up a Thorntail.

Thanks, its a perfect fit. Just right!