deadeye74

Primers

I was wondering what primers are the softest, and which are the hardest? Is there a dramatic difference between the various brands? Does a brand like Tulia even compare to Federal or CCI?

I've been using Federal 100 small pistol primers for my .38 special rounds with great success. Made my first test batch of .44 mag ammo yesterday with Winchester primers, 180g XTP's and Blue Dot. Had two rounds out of 24 not fire, and it was obvious that there was hardly a dent in the primer of the two bad rounds. My Super Redhawk does have a lightened hammer spring, but this is the first time primer strike has ever been an issue.

From what I read:

Federal will be the absolute softest and most reliable against light strikes. Winchester will come 2nd after that, and CCI will be an even harder primer. Those are 3 big names, I'd stick with federal if you have a slicked up action job and are concerned about ignition.

Also, if your shooting a lightened revolver make sure your primers are set really good, below flush .008 depth is the most ideal.

Federal are soft and cannot be used in Lee Progressive presses.

Tula and wolf are hard. You have to make sure they are seated

very well to insure they go off. In striker fired pistols I got some

that did not go off. Maybe 5_10 out of 1000. It happened with

my hammer fired guns less and a second pull of the hammer/trigger

usually set them off. CCI, Winchester, and Remington I had very

good experieces with. I still think it's worth saving the 10-15 bucks

buying Tula or Wolf.

That would be more of an issue from improperly seated primers or too light of a mainspring than too hard a primer.

Not entirely, Maybe for a stock out of the box pistol, but for a competition style pistol or revolver that has it's trigger / action lightened up they'll need soft primers like federal to fire off.

My list of soft to hard is:

softest and unused by be is federal

the next softest is CCI (by the aount of flattening I see)

after that is Winchester

And the hardest and most used by me are the CCI #34 and #41 primers

All my findings are for large and small rifle non magnum primers

Ken

Not to jack this thread but where is everyone getting their primers from? Lookin to snag 5000+ CCI #500 spp...hmmm, group buy?

I dont know if you get down this way but I get all mine from Salomons shooters supply in farmingdale. He is cheap enough that it may even be worth the trip if you buy powder too.

Ken

I dont know if you get down this way but I get all mine from Salomons shooters supply in farmingdale. He is cheap enough that it may even be worth the trip if you buy powder too.

Ken

Yea, Iv'e been there, hes about an hour and 15min away. Called, and hes out of CCI.

Unless you want your gun to go off reliably.

3-5 rounds not going off out of 1000 is fine with me. Well, not when I'm shooting a classifier. LOL!

I use Tula/Wolf for practice/fun matches. I use CCI and better stuff for real matches/classifiers.

Let me add a layer to this discussion.

How about using magnum primers (pistol) in place of a standard primer? I've been searching the subject and seems a lot of reloaders are using small and large pistol magnum primers exclusively.

Let me add a layer to this discussion.

How about using magnum primers (pistol) in place of a standard primer? I've been searching the subject and seems a lot of reloaders are using small and large pistol magnum primers exclusively.

In general, yes you can. There are some caveats, like knowing which primers are slower and which are faster. IF you are at the ragged edge with federal small pistol for pressures, switching to winchester SPM may cause issues. For 9mm it generally won't as brass is generally all dimensioned for +p loads even if it wasn't a +p load to begin with. I don't recommend it without access to a chrono unless you are loading well below max load. If you are near max and know your load's velocity, back off a tenth, chrono, if it slowed down and there are no pressure signs, put the tenth back.

I used the large pistol magnum in my 45acp loads and I didn't notice a difference at all. Maybe the chrono would tell a difference,

but I know lots of people use magnum primers and it's really not too different from standard primers.

I was wondering what primers are the softest, and which are the hardest?

My DMS (Don't Mean Squat) Test of Primer Hardness ...

22 Oct 2010

Test Procedure: Using a Lee Hardness Tester that measures Brinell hardness, placed a new primer on a piece of steel. Held the indent ball on the primer for 30 seconds. Measurement is the diameter of the indent, smaller numbers are an indication of harder brass

Pistol Primers

0.32 – CCI 300 LP

0.38 – Federal GM150 Match LP

0.40 – Federal 155 LP Magnum

0.40 – Winchester WLP

0.42 – Federal 150 LP

0.42 - Federal 100 SP

0.44 – CCI 400 SP

0.48 – Remington 2 ½ LP

Rifle Primers

0.26 – CCI BR-2 LR

0.28 – CCI 200 LR

0.32 – Federal 215 LR Magnum

0.34 – Remington 9 ½ LR

Note: Rifle primers are harder than handgun primers!

Lot Numbers were not recorded