compujas

Hornady LNL AP questions

Sorry for being so persistent, but I just want to make sure since I've seen it in several pictures and videos a different way.

So it's not supposed to be suspended off the bottom like in the video below (around 1:30).

Or here.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6497504&postcount=4

Yeah. In one of the videos from Hornady I saw they had it all the way down, but it was about the bullet feeder so they didn't mention it, I just noticed. So I'm not entirely sure which way it's supposed to be, so I just threw an e-mail at Hornady and see what they say. Either way is fine by me, I just want to know what's correct.

Yeah. In one of the videos from Hornady I saw they had it all the way down, but it was about the bullet feeder so they didn't mention it, I just noticed. So I'm not entirely sure which way it's supposed to be, so I just threw an e-mail at Hornady and see what they say. Either way is fine by me, I just want to know what's correct.

I have 2 of the Hornady measures, one free-standing one on my LNL Baffles in both fell freely to the bottom of the measure

I'm sure you've all been on the edge of your seats waiting for the answer. According to Hornady, "the baffle is to set all the way to the bottom of the powder measure so that you can get even pressure on the measure casting with the powder charges." So it sounds like it's fine and it's supposed to go all the way to the bottom. Not sure why the ones in the picture and video I linked are different, but whatever.

Dunno....I don't even use one...and mine throws fine.....

I guess it depends on the powder you use, If you use a very fine powder, it's possible the extra weight can compress the powder. Or you can just fill it a little at a time, or just keep it topped off. I don't fill mine up that much, maybe a 1/4 so i don't use it either. I'd rather add as i go then have to empty it, since i store mine empty. The baffle has to be on the bottom to work correctly, if it gets hung up before the bottom just push it down, if it's not supporting itself then the powder underneath will support it until you use it up. I you manage consistent loads, then it's really nothing to worry about, i wouldn't change anything, if it aint broke don't fix it.

I'm sure you've all been on the edge of your seats waiting for the answer. According to Hornady, "the baffle is to set all the way to the bottom of the powder measure so that you can get even pressure on the measure casting with the powder charges." So it sounds like it's fine and it's supposed to go all the way to the bottom. Not sure why the ones in the picture and video I linked are different, but whatever.

They might have been older measures. When I started 27-odd years ago, none of my measures had Baffles (RCBS and Lyman) I didnt notice them becoming commonplace until the last 10 years or so.

I guess it depends on the powder you use, If you use a very fine powder, it's possible the extra weight can compress the powder. Or you can just fill it a little at a time, or just keep it topped off. I don't fill mine up that much, maybe a 1/4 so i don't use it either. I'd rather add as i go then have to empty it, since i store mine empty. The baffle has to be on the bottom to work correctly, if it gets hung up before the bottom just push it down, if it's not supporting itself then the powder underneath will support it until you use it up. I you manage consistent loads, then it's really nothing to worry about, i wouldn't change anything, if it aint broke don't fix it.

First thing I bought with my Hornady Loader was the drain spout..makes life a LOT simpler switching from powder to powder.

First thing I bought with my Hornady Loader was the drain spout..makes life a LOT simpler switching from powder to powder.

I thought about buying the drain myself but all I have to do is twist the powder measure a quarter turn and pop it out. Then dump it out

I thought about buying the drain myself but all I have to do is twist the powder measure a quarter turn and pop it out. Then dump it out

True, but i;m lazy, pop in the spout, flip down the handle, and it drains right into the can.

Do you know if they have a drain for the Dillon? I can't pop the powder measure off of my toolhead like I can with the LnL

I;ve never used a Dillon press or powder measure, my drain is made by hornady...Dillon is slick, they want you to buy a new powder measure for each toolhead from what I understand though.... Another reason i like my Hornady. while switching calibers is a touch more involved, it still takes under 10 minutes, and that includes draining and refilling the powder measure if i need to. Most of my handgun loads use either Clays or Titegroup, so with them it's just a matter of popping out the metering assembly, since I bought enough of them to have one for each load. Even factoring in the cost of dies, it's about half the cost to change calibers for the Hornady as opposed to a Dillon IMO.