liquidskin

FL CCW Application delivered.. Start the clock!

I've been reading great things about the turnaround time on these... Hope my experience is similar!

Very excited to get this... Gives me a great excuse to pick up the Kahr CM9 :-)

Will update this thread when I hear back from Florida. My application is in their possession as of 7:03 AM!

Edit: arrived 103 days after this thread was started

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

They approved mine in two weeks. Using their automated tracking system, I called after one week just to make sure they received it. The second time I called, at the two week mark, it was approved. It took another week before I received it in the mail, so three weeks total.

It should only take about a month or so...

What made you chose the CM9? you already pick it up??

I'm probably much more confident that the CM9 will be right for me than I should be, considering I've yet to even get my hands on one! I'm fairly sold on a single stack 9mm that's going to be concealable, possibly even pocket carryable. Being that Glock doesn't have anything as small as the Kahr, the CM9 is going into the contest with a hell of an advantage.. Of course, I'm open to other suggestions!

Well i "liked" the CM9 when i held it, but ended up buying one before i fired it. I actually liked and shot the PPS and M&P Shield MUCH MUCH better. Ended up selling my CM9 and I am going next week to pick up my Shield.

Last november I was really on the fritz between the PPS and CM9. Decided not to get the PPS b.c i didnt like the mag release and it was over $200 more than the CM9. The shield i like just as much as the PPS but it has a "regular" mag release. Plus i have a full size M&P so its a perfect combo.

I really didnt care for the sights on the CM9 at all, and i wasnt very accurate with the gun either. I shot the PPS and Shield much better..

Just a suggestion, def try before you buy!

The CM9 was also about as far from a "range toy" as possible. Yeah i know you arent buying it for that at all, you want a slim 9mm for CCW. But its nice to ENJOY practicing with your CCW since its important to be proficient with it. The PPS and Shield i can shoot all day, the CM9, not so much.

Sorry, my point is fire one before you commit. I thought i really liked mine until i tried the other options. Thats why i switched over to the shield. There are people that really like their CM9 tho, so its only my opinion.

I also like that the shield has an external safety. Like carrying cocked and locked. A lot of other people dont. I CCW so rarely that i wasnt 100% comfortable carrying cocked/one in the chamber without a safety and carrying WITHOUT one in the chamber is pointless IMO but that is a matter of opinion as well. I can tell you that the Kahr doesnt like to be loaded by racking the slide with a full mag. The manual says to load it by locking the slide back then inserting a mag...

So in a real life situation, carrying without one in the chamber, you would have to rack the slide to load a round and depending on the situation, that may not be possible. At least with the Shield, all I have to do is flick off the safety. I like that option…

Some great input, thank you...

What stops me from putting the Shield into the lineup is that it doesn't look to be very pocket friendly. Sucks though, because it looks killer...

I dont know what body type you are, but i am kind of slim (5'10, 160lbs) and pocket carry was pretty uncomfortable for me anyway. The only way i would consider doing it would be in a cargo pocket. I found IWB much more comfortable and the Shield is just as slim as the CM9. The width is the most important thing when considering IWB. My whole thing was not having to change my wardrobe just for the days i wanted to carry and both the Shield and CM9 let me do that.

Have you ever tried pocket carrying?

I dont know what body type you are, but i am kind of slim (5'10, 160lbs) and pocket carry was pretty uncomfortable for me anyway. The only way i would consider doing it would be in a cargo pocket. I found IWB much more comfortable and the Shield is just as slim as the CM9. The width is the most important thing when considering IWB. My whole thing was not having to change my wardrobe just for the days i wanted to carry and both the Shield and CM9 let me do that.

Have you ever tried pocket carrying?

I have no carry experience to be honest. I guess I wanted something that I could pocket carry when IWB wasn't an option. I'm about 6' 1" and 180. I do my best to look reasonably put together and dare I say, "stylish" (hey, gotta do it for the Mrs.) and I don't think alot of my clothes have huge pockets. I don't own any cargo pants and really have no intention of getting a pair. Based on what you're telling me, it sounds like IWB might be my only option in a 9mm...

Your FL CCW permit will come faster than your NJ FPID did, guaranteed.

Unless you're the lucky few that live in a town that finishes permits in under 8 weeks.

I mailed my Florida application in late May and they turned it around in 8 weeks. Others submitted theirs in Florida with the electronic fingerprints and got it turned around much faster. So, if you mailed it in and it hasn't been 8 weeks, sit tight. Florida isn't jerking you around.

I understand they are issuing more permits to non-residents than residents and demand is high.

I submitted my FL CCW paperwork in middle of November 2009 and had my permit well before Christmas. It was a while ago and I wasn't timing it. But it was certainly less than 4 weeks.

I have no carry experience to be honest. I guess I wanted something that I could pocket carry when IWB wasn't an option. I'm about 6' 1" and 180. I do my best to look reasonably put together and dare I say, "stylish" (hey, gotta do it for the Mrs.) and I don't think alot of my clothes have huge pockets. I don't own any cargo pants and really have no intention of getting a pair. Based on what you're telling me, it sounds like IWB might be my only option in a 9mm...

Yeah its tough to pocket carry esp if you wear "fitted" jeans. As do i as well. I have a few pairs of cargo shorts tho and that has certainly worked. I prefer IWB tho with a nice belt.

I had a High Noon 'Mr Softy' IWB holster for my CM9. Its not bad for the money and i carried several times with it. Its just very tough to re-holster which isnt good if you plan on un-holstering to get in the car or something, if not its no biggie IMO.

My FL and UT applications were received in their respective states on September 19th. The Utah permit arrived today. Hopefully Florida's won't be far behind....

Received my Florida permit yesterday, so 47 days for Utah, 61 days for Florida.

My FL and UT applications were received in their respective states on September 19th. The Utah permit arrived today. Hopefully Florida's won't be far behind....

Why both Fl & Utah?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk