Sign in to follow this  
springfieldxds

Thomaston preacher appeals church gun ban to U.S. Supreme Court

http://www.macon.com/2012/10/16/2214854/gun-toting-thomaston-preacher.html

Now he is arguing around the first amendment but if this actually makes it to the supreme court could this be the case we're all looking for, can scotus rule that the second amendment allows an individual to cc for protection under this case?

http://www.macon.com...n-preacher.html

Now he is arguing around the first amendment but if this actually makes it to the supreme court could this be the case we're all looking for, can scotus rule that the second amendment allows an individual to cc for protection under this case?

Ultimately, i think it will boil down to whether or not the state can regulate the rights of privately owned property. If this preacher gets to carry in church, everyone should be able to. Not sure if that's how he feels considering his argument, although that is the right approach.

Ultimately, i think it will boil down to whether or not the state can regulate the rights of privately owned property.

This issue came up in a different context in a SD case a few years ago. LEOSA allows the state to control the carrying of firearms on state property and buildings and of course control by the owner of private property. Some out of state LEOs were assaulted by a biker gangmember in a bar in Sturgis and one shot the biker. There was no issue over the fact that the shooting was justified (I'm sure being in SD had a lot to do with this) but the LEOs were charged with carrying in a bar, a violation of SD law. Somewhere during the arraignment process, IIRC, the judge ruled that because the LEOs were carrying under the Federal law, the state law did not apply to them as the state had no authority to regulate carry of firearms in a bar they didn't own.

Some states use similar logic regarding carrying firearms on school property. Illegal on public school property and private schools make their own rules.

I agree with the preacher but more on 1A issues than 2A.