Sign in to follow this  
nj22

Slug or buckshot?

Hey guys,

I asked some hunters this question on another forum, but was hoping to get a range of opinions. This will be my first year out hunting (deer). Shotgun this time around. I was originally planning to get a cantilevered slug barrel because I was under the impression that slugs are more likely to yield a quick, ethical kill. I have since been told, however, that at close range in wooded NJ WMAs 3" copper plated buckshot is the better choice, esp since the deer will be moving during 6 day. Any thoughts on this?

I bought some 3" 00 shells and plan to pattern various rounds and chokes at around 30 yards (my shoulder is not thrilled about the idea). Mistake?

I make this decision day to day because to me it has more to do with the terrain ou plan to hunt. If its open and you have clear lanes out to 50/75 yards then sure take the slug gun. If you are pushing through more dense brush where you are hunting, the scoped slug gun may have any advantage over quality buckshot.

I prefer slugs over buckshot. Modern slug guns (those with rifled barrels designed for modern sabots) are accurate and when properly set up with a good scope can offer the ability to hit deer out to 150-175 yds. Smoothbore slug guns shooting traditional Foster-style slugs can still be accurate out to 75 yds. or as far as someone can keep a group inside an 8" target. Sabot or Foster slugs offer better penetration than buckshot, and usually provide complete penetration on broadside hits creating both an entrance and exit wound offering more than one blood trail. I've never seen buckshot penetrate a deer. I've butchered enough deer over the years and picked enough buckshot out of necks and hindquarters to realize that when buckshot is used incorrectly, and doesn't hit any vitals, hunters watch their deer run off and are often disappointed when there's little or no bloodtrail to follow. The same could be said for a poorly placed slug when it misses vitals. But with a slug you can pick the spot you want to hit more precisely that you could with a pattern of buckshot. There are still many hunters who use buckshot and they are very successful, but those who do also understand buckshot's limitations.

I've been doing this since Noah was a baby. I agree alot with Parker. Only thing I can add is a GOOD smooth bore gun with sights is good to a FULL 100yds and if you find the right slug (they're all a little different) you can expect 4-6" groups.

Buckshot? Pattern, Pattern, Pattern. Get a piece of cardboard draw a 30" circle and see how many pellets you get in there. My full choke gun gets 9 of 12 in a 30" circle but the center of the pattern is a little low. So this you need to know too.

This is all about being an ethical hunter,

OP - Good question...

BTW check this out if you're shooting an 870 http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/40567-remington-870-barrels-best-offer-or-trades/

I was a little afraid I would get these responses. Hunting ethically is priority #1. But a few discussions with hunters recently led me to believe that the new copper plated buckshot in 3" shells was a better choice for sub 40yard hunting situations. Better meaning more likely to stop the deer in its tracks. So now I have $100 worth of different buckshot on the way to pattern the gun. Not that I mind spending the money for the right reasons, just don't want to waste money in the processes of landing on the best gear for the job.

RE the hastings barrel, if I go slug I'm going to want a cantilevered barrel for a scope. But thanks!

I was a little afraid I would get these responses. Hunting ethically is priority #1. But a few discussions with hunters recently led me to believe that the new copper plated buckshot in 3" shells was a better choice for sub 40yard hunting situations. Better meaning more likely to stop the deer in its tracks. So now I have $100 worth of different buckshot on the way to pattern the gun. Not that I mind spending the money for the right reasons, just don't want to waste money in the processes of landing on the best gear for the job.

RE the hastings barrel, if I go slug I'm going to want a cantilevered barrel for a scope. But thanks!

3" shells carry a heavier payload (# of pellets) but some are slower in velocity than say a 2 3/4" "express" load. Pellet weight more so and velocity are determining factors in energy. (Typical pellet count of 00 buck in 12 ga. 2 3/4" and 3" loads can be 9, 12 or 15 pellets.) Pattern your gun at 25 yds., then lengthen that distance during practice. Some folks like to use a paper plate (10") as a measurement their pattern in relation to the kill zone of a deer. Keep the majority of pellets inside the plate to distance X, and that's the maximum distance you should stick with for an ethical kill. There's nothing wrong by patterning your gun with various loads. By doing, you learn.

Deer won't "stop in their tracks" unless you hit the spine or come close to it, or hit the brain. Most people don't shoot at a deer's topknot either.

Buckshot at close range is pretty devastating. Slugs are as well, but will create a larger primary and often a secondary wound channel which increases your chance for an ethical kill. Knockdown power is somewhat a fallacy. Death comes as a result of starving oxygen to the brain where the projectile penetrates/disrupts major organs and blood vessels. In contrast to a firearm, when using a bow &arrow, it takes only 25 to 41 ft.-lbs. of kinetic energy from an arrow to cleanly harvest a deer. A muay thai fighter hits you a lot harder than that.

Yes Old School, some smoothbores can be very accurate out to 100-125 yds.