DirtyDigz

Think twice before calling suicide hotline for non-emergency help

So apparently you lose all rights to possess firearms in Westchester if you call the suicide hotline:

http://www.newyorkcr..._about_sui.html

As a New York criminal defense lawyer that handles an inordinate number of gun related cases, I hear a large number of stories about the interaction between the police and law abiding gun owners. After more than 20 years, however, very few cases shock me. What happened after a Westchester County gun owner called a suicide hotline bears repeating as a cautionary tale to law abiding citizens everywhere. ...

... The gun owner clearly remembers calling 1800 SUICIDE to ask about tools for managing depression. He also recalls that he started out the conversation by telling the operator that he wasn't going to hurt himself or anyone else but that he simply wanted information. The operator then steered the conversation to whether or not there was a child in the house (there was) and whether or not there were guns in the house (there were). Within a very short time of answering that there were guns in the house, and while still on the telephone, the Westchester County gun owner heard a knock at the door. It was the police. ...

... After being held against his will for several days, the gun owner was released to the custody of the police who then drove him home to take the rest of his guns without a warrant. The gun owner was made to open the safe while the police inventoried and seized his guns. To date, two months later the police have refused to release the guns putting the burden on the gun owner to go to Court to get a Court order for the police to release the guns. ...

Update: Mr. Tilem's client has decided to voluntarily relinquish his NY firearms permit. As he's moving to Florida, he doesn't want to risk a revocation, which would adversely affect his chances of securing a Florida permit. Given the Empire State's past history, chances are high that the guns will never be returned.

Americans who put these government officials, politicians, judges, and stormtroopers into power deserve what they get.

Forgive me... but Mr Tilem deserves it. In this day and age calling any of these outreach emergency lines is foolhardy. As soon as a real person picks up he/she is trained to expect the worst and act accordingly.

Could he not just as easily googled" how to manage depression"? This individual was indeed asking for help and even if he was not going to harm himself or others then, what was the authorities to do? in this climate of litigation,public condemnation of the police and lack of personal responsibility I say let Mr Tilem move to Florida and let them deal with his issues and possible suicide.

Americans who put these government officials, politicians, judges, and stormtroopers into power deserve what they get.

The problem is that the Americans who **do not ** put these government officials, politicians, judges, and stormtroopers into power *do not* deserve what they get. But they still get it nevertheless.

Precisely how do the police *make* you open your gun safe without a warrant?

If the police come into your home without a warrant, you walk in to the kitchen, take out the phone book, sit down at the kitchen table, flip it open to the Lawyers section and ask for everyone's badge numbers.

I think Duppie's post covers it best. This guy, unfortunately started the proverbial "ball rolling" by calling a suicide prevention hotline.

Gotta agree this one time. Calling a suicide hotline should automatically and permanently deprive you of your Rights under the First, Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and possibly Seventh (as much as the Fourteenth is used by libs) Amendments to The Constitution.

I think you should still be protected against quartering soldiers in your home and cruel and unusual punishments, of course. As long as it doesn't present a burden to the government.

Yet another ridiculous story derived from the general lack of education about mental health care.

Emergency suicide hotline. WTF would anyone think would happen?

Anyway, the proper thing to do is find a therapist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk