jonny.montana

Generator

Unfortunetly your window to buy a gen is pretty much passed, people who are selling are asking AT LEAST double of retail cost, IMO if you don't absolutely critically need one just go ahead and rough it, buy a generator in a few weeks when the buzz dies down.

There where a few individuals at the local home depot that would wait to get a generator then sell it for 3 times the price in the parking lot. I think those types that price gouge the desperate should be hung by their pinky toes and beaten like a drum.

Ken

I'm actually quite surprised to see Amazon raising it's prices so quickly. I bought a generator from them on Thursday for $429. Today it's $539 (with a 3-6 week wait). Not as drastic as the guys trying to make 2-3 times what they paid.. but still.. it was somewhat unexpected as their prices tend to be pretty fair most of the time.

We stopped at Lowes in Butler last night and saw two generacs go out the door to one guy. All I heard was they sold for $1350 each and they were expecting a shipment today but didn't know when. I didn't get a look at the model so I have no idea how bad they were gouging.Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

We stopped at Lowes in Butler last night and saw two generacs go out the door to one guy. All I heard was they sold for $1350 each and they were expecting a shipment today but didn't know when. I didn't get a look at the model so I have no idea how bad they were gouging.Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The sad part is most of these fools wont sell them.But will return them next week unopened for a refund. So really it helps no one but makes the people in need suffer more.

Amazon uses price discovery, basically their prices go up and down automatically with demand. If no one buys them, prices get lower down to a minimum margin, if items are hot, then price goes up.

Makes sense. I have a few things in my "save for later" cart because it lets me know when the prices change.. but I've never seen anything change so drastically. I guess I got lucky and bought at just the right time.

The sad part is most of these fools wont sell them.But will return them next week unopened for a refund. So really it helps no one but makes the people in need suffer more.

I got my system at HomeDepot last year for Irene, they were taking numbers just like at the deli probably the same this year. Anyway I had no intention of returning my system but someone mentioned at HomeDepot (last year) that the gens were a one-way item, they were NOT taking returns on generators. I always wanted a gen anyway. After last year's storm when I got a few bucks ahead I installed the Reliance 8-circuit Transfer Switch Kit.

Natural gas is nice but its nicer to have dual with propane option. also your passed the point to buy anything now.

FWIW I picked a B&S 5500 watt gen last year. My primary fuel is now NG, I converted my gen to Tri-Fuel so I could use NG/Propane or gasoline, it is nice to be able to go back if needed. My Tri-Fuel kit was about $180 so for those with gens already you may be able to convert if you are interested. Here’s where I got my kit, http://www.uscarb.com/ the website is cheesy but the kit does work nicely and they are a good folks to deal with IMO. I don’t know about the dedicated systems(NG/Propane only) where they drill out your carbs but I’m very happy with my Tri-Fuel kit,

Lastly I'm sure the install would be fairly easy for most members here but does take some mechanically ability, for example I had fabricate my own regulator mount and perform some basic pipe fitting for the NG connection. This is not a complete out of box install. Some systems require cutting the frame (which I was not going to do) and/or moving the engine. Also you could be looking at voiding a warranty on new systems, YMMV

I got my system at HomeDepot last year for Irene, they were taking numbers just like at the deli probably the same this year. Anyway I had no intention of returning my system but someone mentioned at HomeDepot (last year) that the gens were a one-way item, they were NOT taking returns on generators. I always wanted a gen anyway. After last year's storm when I got a few bucks ahead I installed the Reliance 8-circuit Transfer Switch Kit.

FWIW I picked a B&S 5500 watt gen last year. My primary fuel is now NG, I converted my gen to Tri-Fuel so I could use NG/Propane or gasoline, it is nice to be able to go back if needed. My Tri-Fuel kit was about $180 so for those with gens already you may be able to convert if you are interested. Here’s where I got my kit, http://www.uscarb.com/ the website is cheesy but the kit does work nicely and they are a good folks to deal with IMO. I don’t know about the dedicated systems(NG/Propane only) where they drill out your carbs but I’m very happy with my Tri-Fuel kit,

Lastly I'm sure the install would be fairly easy for most members here but does take some mechanically ability, for example I had fabricate my own regulator mount and perform some basic pipe fitting for the NG connection. This is not a complete out of box install. Some systems require cutting the frame (which I was not going to do) and/or moving the engine. Also you could be looking at voiding a warranty on new systems, YMMV

Interesting kit.