BCeagle

New Buyer curious about AR designations M3, M4 etc

And I will try again...

I won't be using it at any "significant" distance, and at the distances I would be using it at, it packs a bigger punch, it's a round to kill, not to wound. Not to mention I've already got a rifle in 7.62, and would like to use the same ammo. If I had wanted a .223, I would have purchased one. But I didn't, so I didn't.

I USED to think like you..Ive had numerous ARs and AKs in both calibers.... if you hit your target with EITHER 7.62x39 OR 556... it is going to do more damage than you could possibly imagine.. the difference with a 556 AR is it will make holes in holes, and do it at distance.... while you will not "shoot it at any distance" why would you ever limit yourself.....

don't kid yourself about the potency of the round..

I am not a doctor.. but I am fairly confident this is a kill.. and not some small wound..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2vaJCBQTs&list=UU1UICFxcABkGg8Nj3X0dW8Q&index=120&feature=plcp

What are you REALLY gaining...

40052militaryassaultrif.jpg

you can LOVE 7.62x39.... I shot it forever... I only gave up on it because it is not a vastly domestically produced caliber and I can obtain the same result with a light more accurate round that will travel more distance... and is the standard... My question to you was not a personal attack or an effort to mock you... it was instead curiosity... I ran MANY AKs... and my favorite by far was my 556 AK because of the accuracy and lack of recoil... I could accurately get MANY shots on target quickly... bringing 556 to the AK made sense for me because it allowed me to run the AK with a favorable round... brining 7.62x39 to an AR ONLY makes sense to me if you have a ton of it... will have a ton of it.. and don't want to stock another caliber...

I was just curious about your reasoning..

THREAD DRIFT.

the poor guy just wanted to know about different designations.. i think that's a reasonable rookie question..

M3 vs M4.. etc etc. sound like he is knowledgable to know the pros/cons of buy vs build.. but when you buy you get bombarded with the abbreviations..

THREAD DRIFT.

the poor guy just wanted to know about different designations.. i think that's a reasonable rookie question..

M3 vs M4.. etc etc. sound like he is knowledgable to know the pros/cons of buy vs build.. but when you buy you get bombarded with the abbreviations..

Thanks, just so many options when I see 2 guns that look identical, I just played the same game on Brownells and Cabelas and the only thing that looks like it makes a difference is a few of the higher end brands and the optics. Other than that I can buy the gun I want pre-made. (i like the idea of knowing how to put one together but that can wait)

I like the discussion, but I already decided on 556.

it packs a bigger punch, it's a round to kill, not to wound

Keep in mind, you are not limited to 55g FMJs.

As to the OP, if it's going to be a range only gun for plinking, a Stag, Bushy or S&W Sport etc. will be fine for you. Later on, if you decide you are going to use it more rigorously, you can upgrade parts or buy a new rifle. Buy one, get used to running it and you will see what options you like and don't like. That's the fun of the AR platform. :)

Be aware: AR shooting/collecting can be addictive!