JrzyGuy30

National Guard Denied in Brooklyn because of guns

mipafox,

The fact you feel that people shouldn't criticize someone for their actions solely because they are from a different state is fairly ridiculous, to say the least. I am surprised that even needed clarification.

I don't know if it is still the case but it used to be that the only NG personnel that were allowed to have loaded weapons in the New York city were current LEO's. I had heard a few times that for the above reason NYC wouldn't bother calling the NG for guard duty because it would just take a cop off the street.

I had always thought that those NG in penn station had to have specialized training, not like in 2011 when they sent anyone but gave them no bullets.

That article is not really the best though. Reads a little like gossip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The National Guard evolved from colonial state militias. Though they are the "National" Guard in name, they tend to have an obvious allegiance to their home state. (I tend to view the Guard as a State Militia with the ability to be tasked for duty at the federal level.)

The role of the Guard is not "humanitarian relief" (although they can assist in such a role). Their mission.... "providing to the states units trained and equipped to protect life and property". http://www.nationalguard.mil/about/.

I believe the state and/or federal government can expand the role and duties of the Guard via executive order. The Guard can be given the power to arrest or detain individuals among other things. example: http://www.infowars....f-u-s-citizens/. “The New York National Guard assisted in more than 2,000 arrests last year (2010), and had almost $150 million in drug, property, and weapon seizures,”

I am not arguing whether or not the Guard should be used in this case (as per the OP).

I do take issue that the NG may have been denied the opportunity to provide support because they are "armed" and that their help is some how inferior. -sounds like a judgment made by someone who never served in the military.

- I am not a Guardsman. I am an AIr Force vet. But my observation is that the NG is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Armed Forces... they get no respect. I think they deserve some credit and I think Bloomberg really did a disservice to the NY NG by making them seem like incompetent morons who can't be trusted. Shame on you Bloomberg.

lots of problems in bklyn still. PD must be on site if you get a gas delivery, simply for crowd control. People want order, not chaos, some folks are getting really fearful. NG was standing by in Queens, Day 2 and were welcomed in devastated Breezy, Rockaway, and Belle Harbor. I don't care how it happens but they need beaucoup gasoline deliveries, to settle down people's nerves. There is plenty of food if you can get to it. Did you ever see a calm New Yorker on TV? Subway riders are actually glad the trains are moving, grateful even. I guess the Mayor has his reasons, not saying I agree with him, not saying I disagree with him, that's too easy when I don't have to pay the price for making decisions. Want to make a difference? Get a gas can, drive to NYC and give it away to someone, it'll blow their minds. I offered gas to complete strangers and they gave me that ' what angle are you playing look'. Stunned in to silence. Did you ever see a silent New Yorker? No, I didn't take money, that really sat well with the fellow. I'm going to do it again today. It's a new game, Shock the New Yorker with Kindness. I'm getting a little too cute here. There are plenty of desperate people who need help, Nancy Reagan, " Just Do It "

We have friends in Breezy Point. Their home survived the 2001 air disaster, just barely. With Sandy, they lost most of their first floor, their boat, all of their possessions on first floor, etc. They are now living at a friend's house a few blocks away. The husband is a Federal LEO and he is concerned about some of the animals running loose around their neighborhood. He says the NG and the NYPD are doing about as good a job in keeping order as can be expected, but he's sleeping with his Glock just in case.

These folks need MORE LE and NG out there; for Bloomberg or anyone else to prevent that is criminal.

Good for you RedRiverII. Mindfu*cking them with kindness. Too funny, but more people could follow your lead. I hope I can get over to spend a day helping out this weekend. I'm starting the enrollment process with Team Rubicon.

Heading to Breezy Point tomorrow with a bunch of veterans connected to Team Rubicon. It will be interesting to see how things actually are. Considering the group I will be with, firearms wouldn't be needed.

WOJO, I was there yesterday as well. Did you happen to notice the parking lot for the beach? It looks like the Pennsylvania dump from years ago. Lots of activity since right after the storm. Thank God.

Did I run in to you yesterday morning at the Hess station on 33? I BS'd with a guy going to Breezy driving a black pick-up.

Today's news: Bloomberg has banned all food donations to homeless shelters because he can't verify the SALT and FAT content. Are you effing kidding me? This guy is a dictator, and needs to go. NYC wanted him- even let him change the law so he could run for a 3rd term- so they are getting what they deserve, but: is this the future of federal govt as well?

Today's news: Bloomberg has banned all food donations to homeless shelters because he can't verify the SALT and FAT content. Are you effing kidding me? This guy is a dictator, and needs to go. NYC wanted him- even let him change the law so he could run for a 3rd term- so they are getting what they deserve, but: is this the future of federal govt as well?

Today's news....from March. But still....nuts.

I remember voting in Term Limits. He stole his third term.

If I'm not mistaken, the term extension was a referendum voted on by the people, and as soon as Bloomers was re-elected, the old term limit of 2 went back into effect.?

RedRiver, it wasn't me. I drove to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and took the subway to Brooklyn to meet up with Team Rubicon. From there we boarded a bus and went to our Camp Hope at 125th Street. Sometime tomorrow I am going to start a post. It was an amazing show of Veterans doing some amazing things for total strangers. I wish I could go back today, tomorrow or whenever. My wife has a feeling that I will be burning some sick days to go back. So much work needs to be done.

it's a whole lot worse than folks can fathom just watching on TV. Thanks Wojo. I tried to tell one of my friends that he might be in a state of shock, but he got a little agitated so I let it go. It's two weeks now, I get to go home to a warm house but these folks have no power yet and it may not be restored for ???

One of the combat vets called it a war zone without violence. The destruction was beyond words and scale. I am trying to get back there. There is so much that needs to be done for so many. Much of the work has to be done by hand, 5 gal pails and shovels. You need to clean out basements, demo down to studs. push cars, shovel sand, cut trees, and perform random acts of kindness / share a kind word wherever you can.

Go to Team Rubicon's website or on Facebook if you want to see some stuff. Click on the video of Harry if you want to cry. I hung out with him on and off throughout the day and had no idea of his story until they cut the video on Sunday. If you are a veteran, the tears will form either in your heart, throat or eyes.