I just found my last receipt for my last bulk purchase of 5.56 (back in March 2012). Natchez SS... 1000 rds. Federal XM193 - $299.95 + Shipping.

Today... Natchez SS ... 1000 rds. Federal Xm193 - $399.50 + Shipping.

Edit... just found my receipt for my last bulk purchase of .45 (April 2012)... SGAmmo - 1000 rds. Prvi .45 230gr FMJ - 299.95

Today... 1000 rds Aguila 230 gr FMJ... $297.95.

I don't want this to become a political thread... but politics has GOT to be playing a part in the ammo prices, right? But why .223/5.56 more than .45? Because of the threat of another AWB?

I'll be glad when the election is over, Sandy and the coming Nor'Easter are over and cleaned up, and life can return that that weird limbo we called "normal".

FEAR, because of what's happening to the country, which is creating higher demand, is what is causing high ammo prices. And the fear is justifiable, imo.

If the economy shows real signs of improvement in the months/year after the election, you'll see fear ease, demand drop, and prices go down a bit. When/if that happens, STOCK UP. I'm kicking myself for not having done it sooner.

I would say that copper prices have more to do with it than anything. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc and by far the most expensive component in ammunition.

Copper is at $3.40 a pound right now. It was $1.30 back in August of 2008. Zinc is at $0.83 a pound right now. It was $0.50 a pound just a few years ago.

As our currency devalues, the price of commodities go up because our dollar is worth less.

Also keep in mind that fuel costs have gone up, so moving all of that ammunition by truck is more expensive.

Ordered a crate (880) of the 54R for my VEPR.. was $135 and $162.95 total.. and a box of PMC 55gr XTAC is $6.99 (was $5.99 till early spring).. ordered 240 rounds of that just to add to stash of my cheapy Wolf Mil-Classic I run in my AR.. Came to $91 (or $0.38/round)

The standard 223/556 is getting hard to find for small qty's at all.. I can't afford the $399 or $379 for a case in one shot.. hence the above..

Every election year everything gets wacky..