msg73

Glock/M&P vs S_I 2011 for USPSA Limited?

I'm looking to get a new competition toy. It's clear that S_I 2011 framed pistols dominate the USPSA limited/L10 divisions, but are they that much better than a 40 caliber glock or M&P that it's worth paying the higher price? You can get a nice G35 or M&P 40 Pro with upgrades (trigger job, magwell, tungsten guide rod, barrel, etc.) for around a grand. You'll probably have to spend double that for a 2011 setup. If I'm spending that much, I'd rather spend a little more and get an open gun. I know it's more the indian than the arrow but wanted to get some feedback on whether the polymer options are at a big disadvantage.

Are 2011 an advantage, yes. Double the price advantage...really depends on the shooter. The 2011 is a little heavier, has a better trigger and will be more accurate. But the reason I shoot them over anything else is fit, they just fit my hand better than a M&P, Glock or Tanfo.

Open guns are usually about a $1k more than a limited gun

The 2011 is a little heavier, has a better trigger and will be more accurate.

I was hoping that a tungsten guide rod, Apex FSS trigger and an aftermarket barrel (e.g. KKM, Storm Lake, etc) would help address that...to some extent at least.

The changes will help. It really comes down to what you want to spend, what you want. The 2011 is a better gun, if you want the better gun, you have to spend the money. Will it be money well spent? probably not. Will it make you a better shooter, nope. But there is a lot said for getting what you want, the first time. get the Open gun :D

I was hoping that a tungsten guide rod, Apex FSS trigger and an aftermarket barrel (e.g. KKM, Storm Lake, etc) would help address that...to some extent at least.

Don't forget new sights and a magwell. I like the Dawson fiber optic front and rear. In my experience, the gun makes a difference but twice the price does not mean twice the gun or huge increase in scores. Unless you're turning pro, a souped-up Glock / M&P will get you pretty far. Save your money and use it to practice more and reload. All the serious shooter reload.

I suppose I was looking for a cheaper option. I usually regret those decisions.

Here's a funny example of mine:

About a dozen years ago, I was car shopping and was going to get a Hyundai Sante Fe. Affordable, practical and seemed to make sense. I was all set to buy and went to the dealership. However, the options I wanted needed to be special ordered and would take 2 months. I said forget it and went to a Porsche delearship and drove out with a new Boxter. Hyunday -> Porsche...pretty extreme ends of the spectrum. To this day, I thank god I didn't get that Hyundai.

Go big or go home, right? I may now shift my focus on building an open gun.

I'm looking to get a new competition toy. It's clear that S_I 2011 framed pistols dominate the USPSA limited/L10 divisions, but are they that much better than a 40 caliber glock or M&P that it's worth paying the higher price? You can get a nice G35 or M&P 40 Pro with upgrades (trigger job, magwell, tungsten guide rod, barrel, etc.) for around a grand. You'll probably have to spend double that for a 2011 setup. If I'm spending that much, I'd rather spend a little more and get an open gun. I know it's more the indian than the arrow but wanted to get some feedback on whether the polymer options are at a big disadvantage.

Depends on what you like and what works best for you. I have a Brazos STI Edge and if your down at OBRPC you can check it out and send a few rounds down range if you like. To me, while I have never worked a Glock into a comp pistol other than my G19 that I have used for Production Division, I sure like my STI a lot lot better.

If you're looking for an alt 2011 cheaper route, look into the CZ Tactical sport or Tanfoglio Elite Limited. I have a tanfo you can try at trpc. That said, buy an sti edge and get it over with!

Funny, I do have and used to shoot a very nice CZ 75 Tactical Sport in .40S&W. It's a very nice gun and I probably would not be thinking about getting rid of it other than I load .40S&W for my STI and the OAL is way way too long to shoot in the CZ and I don't feel like loading different lengths and loads in the same caliber.

With that said, anytime someone is coming out to OBRPC and want to check out my CZ75-TS, just let me know, I am really thinking about selling my first gun. Yea I know Blasphemy for me to sell a gun, but I just don't see myself shooting it anymore, and it's all set up for Limited and L10 divisions with plenty of mags.

I was in the same decision process about 3 months ago, when my son took over my p226. I was first thinking of going limited-10. My research shown for this division you really need a 2011 and reload your own .40 rounds. To get a feel for this, I ran my 1911 in single stack major for a match. It was nice to shoot something different, but the overall excitement of shooting the match was the same as when I shoot production. I also do not have the time to get back into reloading at this time. So at my level of shooting there was not much fun factor difference. I then looked into going all out for an open pistol. Optics, compensators, hot loads, cool stuff! Expensive, but looks like fun. Then I remembered this is NJ, so mags are limited. Plus 38 Super and hot 9mm is expensive, unless you reload, of which I dont have time for. I decided to stay in production with a new mp9pro, and with my existing 1911 shoot the occasional SS-major.

If you're looking for an alt 2011 cheaper route, look into the CZ Tactical sport or Tanfoglio Elite Limited. I have a tanfo you can try at trpc. That said, buy an sti edge and get it over with!

Thanks Ryan, I'll check it out the next time I see you at Tenafly.