keithco88

Cigar gift recommendations

Thinking of getting my Dad some cigars for xmas. Nothing crazy, he's not upscale with his stuff but I'd like to get him something reasonably nice that won't slaughter my bank account. He smokes while golfing primarily, sometimes while riding the tractor so just something that tastes good (not heavily flavored like those vanilla things though) is usually his speed

Anybody have websites or local shops (i'm in Union county) they'd recommend?

cigarbid.com or cigarsinternational.com

dunno any b&m shops around union but if you have time check out JR cigars

there's one in e Hanover I think and one somewhere in bergen co

but for the best bang for your buck and you're in no rush buy from the websites above.

their based out of pa so shipping is fairly quick

Cigars International has great sale prices. They have a store next to Cabela's if you can spare time for the trip. J&R is a little pricier, but it is nice to have someone help take out the guesswork. Do you know what he smokes? Dark maduros, connecticut yankee, medium body? Not vanilla but other flavored okay?

Non-flavored mild body: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=CS-G21&cat=3

Flavored mild-medium: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=CS-AIE&stext=acid%20kuba%20kuba I like the Kuba Kuba.

You can always go with a sampler pack from CI as well. That might be your best bet.

Jr cigar sampler packs are generally pretty good. However they are much easier to find on their website than in their store.

Although i will add that if anyone wanted to get me some cigars i would hope for El Ray del Mundo

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars&brand=el%20rey%20del%20mundo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good mail order place is Famous Cigars near Easton, PA. In fact they have a shop north of Easton if you're out that way.

They have a lot of samplers, etc.

For my money, NOT flavored-(what's the point? buy bubble gum if you want flavors), the Arturo Fuente 858 is one of the most consistent cigars I've ever seen for about $5 each. Honduran Excalibers are nice too and not too pricey.

There are now millions of new labels our there and they're all a crap shoot. Punch makes a nice cigar for not much. Pricy alternatives are Padron and Rocky Patel.

If he's not particular, a bundle of nicaraguan, sumatran, honduran, or Dominican toros should keep him happy for a long time.

Yeah, this thread could get as contentious as bashing a Glock... Cigars are a lot like guns. People tend to prefer specific brands. I agree with Bulpup that El Ray Del Mundo would be a great cigar, but it may not be the best for an occasional smoker.

I didn't think of the Ashtons - but I think they are too expensive for what you get.

I'm thinking of the "safe" bet - something that won't knock him on his behind with flavor. Also keep in mind that you said he smokes primarily while golfing or riding his tractor. This leads me to believe that whatever you give him won't be smoked until the spring or summer. I smoke cigars in my house - my guess is that he probably doesn't. It also lets me know that you should probably get him Toros (50x6"or Churchills 50x7") that can last a golf game.

So how about this: buy him a few cigars and buy him a small humidor to go along with it.

Get this holiday gift basket from JR Cigar which contains a good range of cigars and a cigar cutter:

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemDetail/itemcode=3GB

and buy him this Xicar travel humidor which will hold all of his cigars and allow him to take them to the golf course:

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemDetail/itemcode=3MAX15/CIGAR-TRAVEL-HUMIDOR:-XIKAR-X-TREME-(15-CIGAR).html

I would recommend for an occasional smoker the Oliva Serie "G" , nice and mild with a cameroon wrapper and only about $5.50 a cigar in NJ . I've given them to a bunch of occasional smokers and they've all liked them .

Personal favorites that won't break the bank are:

Romeo y Julieta 1875

Gurkha Symphony

Gurkha Master's Select

Gurkha Grand Reserve - These are infused with fine Louis XIII Cognac

Arturo Fuente Hemingway - One of my top three favorites

Montecristo

Macanudo Gold Label

Tough time of year, a lot of them are out of stock.

I normally shop at:

www.cigar.com

www.cigarsinternational.com

www.jrcigars.com

www.famous-smoke.com

Cigar.com and Cigars International seem to be somehow linked, their inventories look to be shared and I have, on a number of occasions, received Cigars International matches with my Cigar.com orders.