vmastro87

REM 700 vs Browning XBolt your thoughts?

From a strictly "Company" standpoint, I feel like Browning makes only quality products. I have been happy with every one I have owned or shot. These days I think Remington quality has slipped. Unless you are buying premium products from them (i.e. Wingmasters, 700LTR, 700P, etc), you are getting a product that may or may not be well made.

On the flip side, Remington customer support has always been top notch. I have gotten free replacement parts from them with no hassle (that the parts came off in the first place is a different story). My experience with Browning Customer Support is a shade below.

To elaborate on this a bit...

I have a remington versamax that I can say is a giant piece of crap. It is a $1300 piece of crap to be exact. Their ammo is on the bottom of my list too. I would recommend throwing the bullet at the target before firing it out of a remington.

I'll sve everyone a giant rant and just let them look up my versamax thread if they want to know more.

Ken

To elaborate on this a bit...

I have a remington versamax that I can say is a giant piece of crap. It is a $1300 piece of crap to be exact. Their ammo is on the bottom of my list too. I would recommend throwing the bullet at the target before firing it out of a remington.

I'll sve everyone a giant rant and just let them look up my versamax thread if they want to know more.

Ken

I agree with Lunker, Browning has never put their name on a lemon. I feel for you and your Versamax. The Versamax had QC problems for a while after its introduction. (I think it was recalled after only a handful had been sold.) Remington has struggled for a while to make a good shotgun since their 870 & 1100, which still soldier on. The 11-87 is nothing more than an embellishment of the 1100. Since 1973, Remington hasn't made an innovative shotgun (other than enhancements of the 1100 or 870) that they've put to market that were sales champs and/or died because they were plagued with problems. Ever see any of these Remington's around today? These were their attempts at O/U's: Mod. 3200, Peerless, 396, 300, & 332? Or the SB Trap Model 90, or semi-auto's 11-96 & 105CTI? And now the Versamax seems plagued with minor problems. A lot of shotgun double-dribbles here. I don't know of many Browning failures, or many Beretta failures either if we want to highlight the other "B" company.

Wayne Leek's designs, the 700 & 1100 are still around and doing fine after half a century.

What about the Ruger Scout .308? I read a recent article and it stated that if you only had 1 rifle, this would be the one to own.

Any comments from those that are long time owners of Rem or Browning? Is this rifle in the same class?

To reply to both the two above me,

The Ruger Scout is a 'scout' rifle, the mount for the scope is forward and the rifle is not designed as a traditional bolt action 'sniper rifle' or 'hunting rifle' etc. You would need a special scope with the eye relief long enough to take advantage of its forward mount. Further, by being a 'scout rifle' build with a 16.5 or 18" bbl, you are not really set up for long distance /high velocity shooting its more of a combat shooter bolt action for medium range? I don't know I just don't see the point, other than it being Jeff Coopers baby.

I have the Remington 700 AAC-SD. I will admit fully I did not go looking for it and say 'I need the upgraded package tactical Remington' I would have been happy with a SPS Tactical too. But it is what they had, and further they had more than one so it was completely brand new in the wrapping/box etc. and I was happy about it. It's really nice , great looking stock, comes with a Hogue recoil pad which is supposed to be a copy of commercial one, it has the threaded muzzle so I can put a muzzle brake or flash hider on it (Am looking at an AAC Combination muzzle brake/flash hider, the big AAC muzzle brakes are like 200 and I hear loud as all get out) and it also has 1:10 rifling rather than 1:12 on the 20" heavy barrel. To be honest I love the rifle. I put a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 SF BDC on it, and I guess it's not the sexiest scope... but I got an incredible deal and it was a conscious decision , I was also looking at $1200 Leupold and Zeiss's , but I liked the Nikon better and it allowed me to buy ammo, accessories etc. Like the $110 Harris S-BRM bipod, Viking Tactical padded sling, heavy duty 1 1/4" swivels, and the muzzle device has been back ordered for a long long time. Plus a decent amount of high high quality .308 so , I feel like my package is not only looking great it operates/is great.

I looked at their $1300 Kimber and considered a 700P or LTR etc. but for me and my uses and such, I feel like I have a tremendous package that can compete with a lot of peoples big boys, at a very reasonable price, and i have plenty of room for upgrading etc. When I finally just buy the stock upgrade etc. I will be even happier with the look and feel etc. But AAC-SD is a highly highly recommended rifle imho.

img2176l.jpg

The Ruger Scout is a 'scout' rifle, the mount for the scope is forward and the rifle is not designed as a traditional bolt action 'sniper rifle' or 'hunting rifle' etc.

Ruger's Scout Rifle is setup for both rear-mounted conventional or forward-mounted (EER) scopes. The receiver bridge still accepts Ruger's proprietary scope ring/mounts in addition to the forward Picatinny rail.

http://www.ruger.com...e/features.html

Does browning make a heavy barreled "bench rest" type gun similar to the Savage 12 series? I'm looking at the Savage 12LRP in 6.5 creedmoor and ive always enjoyed my other browning products and the 60* bolt is a nice feature so i thought i would see what's available from them. They appear to be mostly hunting rifles and some medium weight barrels but not much to compare the the Savage 12 LRP. Any thoughts?