mag1

Scope Help

Need a scope for remington 700 .308 w 26" barrel

I found 3 that i may want:

1. Nikon Monarch ucc 3-9 40mm for $200

2. Leupold VX3 6.5-20 40mm fine duplex for $550

3. Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 40mm Rapiz Z600 for $400

Both have been mounted but not used.

I know nothing about scopes, and will use the rifle maybe one day for hunting if I go out of state. If not, I just want a decent scope for this rifle since I will be doing some upgrades to it. I keep reading get the best scope you can afford, uggh.

If there is a big difference in quality,I would have to spend the xtra money. I know there is a big diff with the magnif.

Just seems that the Leup price is very good. He wanted $625 for it, said he would take $550..But is this gonna be an overkill for what I may use the rifle and scope for?

But for $200 for the Nikon, why the hell not..unless its a POS.

I dont know the going price is on the Nikon Monarch, but the Leup are going for minimum $675 and $610 on ebay right now. Zeiss's have a 100 rebate.

SO should I go with the Leup, or save the money and go with the Nikon?

The Zeiss seems like the best bet!

mAN i got to this topic late... I wanted to chime in because, in my search for a scope for my new Rem 700 .308, I also was considering a Leupold VX3, a Zeiss, and ultimately a Nikon Monarch.

I was looking at the highest end VX3's and VX3L's and was about to buy a 4.5-14x50mm Illuminated Reticle Boone and Crockett ... and would have bought it from CMO but they were so rude to me on repeated occasions I just could not give them another dime.

I came close to buying a Zeiss on several occassions, the thing is it was as much if not more for the comparable Leupold but without an Illuminated Reticle, I also was going for a Rapid Z 6/8/1000 reticle depending. I really liked the quality of the Zeiss and the idea of the 200 yd Zero and all the compensating / range finding stadia on the reticle.

I ultimately went with the Monarch 5-20x44mm BDC SF because I am already very comfortable and happy with two Nikon's I have, the quality of the Monarch is AT LEAST as good as the other two if not greater, and it is about half priced. The one you mentioned, the 3-9x40 UCC is their newest release, which is a historical piece of their original Monarch ... the 3-9x40mm Monarch UCC might be the best scope of the price on the market today, you could not beat it with a bigass stick for 200 bucks.

Anyway a Zeiss is absolutely beautiful and super high end, you should be extremely pleased! I got the Monarch from Dick's Sporting Goods on Monday, for 25% off and free shipping, AND I HAD BEEN ABOUT TO BUY IT FROM THEM SUNDAY NIGHT, and dog distracted me, and then I had a 25% off coupon email Monday morning, talk about luck! I could not pass up a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm BDC SF scope for $397 !!!!!!

Bought the Zeiss 3-9 x 40mm for $340 this morning.. Has the Rapid z 600 reticle.

I think you made the better choice if you intend to hunt with it someday. A 3x9 variable is just about ideal for the varying terrain found on the East coast (if that's your intention) and that power range can handle a variety of situations. The 6.5x20 Leupold would come in handy at longer distances, or if you wanted to pluck the eyelashes off a gnat. The Leupold's field of view @ 100 yds. at 20X (5.6 ft.) would hinder you in the woods, and even the low end power at the 6.5X's field of view (14.3 ft.) might even hinder you on very close shots, like those measured in feet.

Zeiss makes some nice stuff.

+1 on the 3x-9x. I bought a new 30-06 and for 90% of all applications, a 3x-9x is ideal. I have a 5x-15x and recently sold a 6x-24x each has their place, but the 3x-9x is the most utilitarian.

I picked up the Nikon monarch 2.5-10x 42mm with bdc for $370. Hard to beat IMO. You really need to spend the money in the high power scopes for clarity. under 10x it's still as important but not as critical.

I completely agree - I bought a high end Nikon Monarch for my own 700, a 5-20x44mm Side Focus BDC reticle... and IMHO it is amazing, AMAZINGLY value, and clarity is just awesome.

PLUS I hesitated from buying it one night, the next morning I got a Cyber Monday deal, 25% OFF PLUS FREE SHIPPING *FROM THE SAME PLACE* I almost ordered from the night before. GOD BLESS my little doggie who needed to go out ASAP and prevented me from finishing the order;

I went with a vortex razor ffp, mil mil.5-20 x 50m with vortex 35mm rings. I was going back and forth, and talked with some vets and they said this would be the best bang for the buck in a sub$2000 scope. I wanted ftp and a matching reticle/turrets.

Got a very nice deal on a slightly babied 1. Should be here next week!I'd

F I don't like it, I can always get my money back and get another night force.