blizzzarddemon

do i need a new FOID

i had gotten a tattoo recently and i was told by someone i need a new FOID because i now have a distinguishing physical characteistic. mine is lamintaed and falling apart if i file for a new one with state police do i have to go through the process again with fingerprints and reference letters i am going to be applying for some pistol permits so i can just fill the paperwork then but im hoping i dont ned the fingerprints and all that for a new FOID

thanks in advance for the help

the spot on the FOID is blank and when i got my FOID i didnt have any tattoos

I couldnt give you any sort of statue on the law, but i've NEVER heard of this before, and I dont imagine anybody even bringing it up during a purchase.

I listed a facial scar on mine, I dont plan on getting a new fid every time I get a tattoo

For the handgun permit on the mental health form does the part 2 need to be filled out last time i did but the state trooper said no but a sheriff told me yes

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

How did you fill out Part 2? Are you any of the mentioned >

part2.jpg

Good

I can print the forms from the web instead of going to the state police and picking up

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Except for the SP-212A - only available from your local PD or NJSP (if no local PD)

Just looked it up and my town never made me fill out form SP-212A, just the application and the consent to a mental health check, then 2 dollars and that's all

Shhhhh! Then they are breaking the law.....but this time it's in our favor

OK guys (dark hunter & blizzarddemon), you have sent me into research mode. Technically, your PD's are fine in not requiring the SP-212A, providing you have been previously fingerprinted and they do a thorough investigation. Here is how the law reads...

2C:58-3,e

The chief police officer or the superintendent shall obtain the fingerprints of the applicant and shall have them compared with any and all records of fingerprints in the municipality and county in which the applicant resides and also the records of the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, provided that an applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same licensing authority for which he was previously fingerprinted, and who provides other reasonably satisfactory proof of his identity, need not be fingerprinted again; however, the chief police officer or the superintendent shall proceed to investigate the application to determine whether or not the applicant has become subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this chapter.

The requirement shown in red above is generally satisfied by the use of SP-212A throughout most of the rest of the state. If you became a prohibited person and your PD didn't catch it because they failed to do a complete investigation (read that: SP-212A), they open themselves and the municpality up to some major liability.

You guys are among the fortunate ones - less paperwork, hassle and expense than what the rest of us go through.

Adios,

PIzza Bob