just leave your handguns at home if he is not on the way to the range. if you pick up him and his hand guns/long guns and go to the range and after bring him and his guns home i would think that you would be totally legal. But i am not a cop.

For maximum compliance with the law, assuming you are transporting handguns:

- Leave guns at home, pick up friend

- Return home, pick up guns

- Drive directly to range. Shoot.

- Return directly home, drop off guns.

- Drop off friend.

If the friend has his own guns, then one of them would be outside the law by doing what you said.

I am not a lawyer. Also the law says ,reasonable deviations as necessary to the circumstances.

If you and your friend aren't prohibited persons, then picking him up on your way to the range is reasonable. Because the circumstances are that you are going to shoot together.

The reason the law is written this way is to make you ask these questions. They want you to be afraid to go to the range because if you're afraid then you are less likely to go. And that means fewer guns "on the street"

Don't give in to fear. You're going shooting with a friend. He wants to bring his own guns and you don't want to take sepaeare cars. These are the circumstances.

COULD someone jam u up? Sure. The only way to NEVER get jammed up is to sell all your guns and give it up. I know I'm not about to do that.

Just pick him up and go. Stop worrying so much

" reasonable deviations " is the law .... only you can interpert what it means.

I tired to say this without saying it. IMO picking somebody up on the way to the range is a reasonable deviation.

Cite: gas prices, global warming, car pooling, being economical.

If the friend has his own guns, then one of them would be outside the law by doing what you said.

I am not a lawyer. Also the law says ,reasonable deviations as necessary to the circumstances.

If you and your friend aren't prohibited persons, then picking him up on your way to the range is reasonable. Because the circumstances are that you are going to shoot together.

The reason the law is written this way is to make you ask these questions. They want you to be afraid to go to the range because if you're afraid then you are less likely to go. And that means fewer guns "on the street"

Don't give in to fear. You're going shooting with a friend. He wants to bring his own guns and you don't want to take sepaeare cars. These are the circumstances.

COULD someone jam u up? Sure. The only way to NEVER get jammed up is to sell all your guns and give it up. I know I'm not about to do that.

Finally someone with some common sense.

I do it all the time, I've carpooled with my friends plenty of times. I'm always the one picking them up, but hey to me it's a reasonable stop. No worries, just pick up, shoot, eat and then drop off.

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Just pick him up and go. Stop worrying so much

This and the other similar answers are the most reasonable.

I know there are some that will crap their pants, not stop for coffee or gas, and spend hours determining the most direct route. Someone please show me where all these honest law abiding shooters were arrested going or coming from a range because their deviations were ruled not necessary or reasonable. This is in the same category as "arrested for one holowpoint" concerns.

Use common sense and you will not get in trobule.