ricgnar

barrel options for left handed Remington 870

I didn't realize there are left handed barrels either, until after I bought my (first shotgun) Remington. I emailed Remington with a question and they informed me of the difference. I likely would have dealt with right side ejection had I known because I love to customize things, not having options is killing me.

I did not know there was any thing different with left or right handed barrels (Learn something new every day!) but also remember, Mossberg is one of the biggest if not the biggest producers of Remington 870 barrels.... they make a ton! So if you cannot find a *REMINGTON* Remington 870 barrel to suit your needs just double check a *MOSSBERG* Remington 870 barrel.

This may be as difficult to find as a left-handed smoke shifter. Remington stopped carrying these a while ago.

Try Corson's Barrels. They list a few on their website, but I suspect those listed are polished-blued versions for the 870 Wingmaster. http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/

barrels are the same for lefty's and righty's

LH barrels are different from RH barrels.

RH ejection port means ejector staked on the left-side of receiver frame, notch on barrel extension tab cut on left side of barrel mates with staked ejector.

LH ejection port means ejector staked on the right-side of receiver frame, notch on barrel extension tab cut on right side of barrel mates with staked ejector.

LH barrels are different from RH barrels.

RH ejection port means ejector staked on the left-side of receiver frame, notch on barrel extension tab cut on left side of barrel mates with staked ejector.

LH ejection port means ejector staked on the right-side of receiver frame, notch on barrel extension tab cut on right side of barrel mates with staked ejector.

are you sure?

are you sure?

Ray I'm looking at an RH 870 barrel now. There is an extractor cut on the right side. The barrel hood sticks out from the end od the barrel from about 250 to 45 degrees viewed from rear. No way would this work on a LH gun.

are you sure?

Yep. Extractor slot cut, bolt, barrel, ejector are all different. Look at your RH 870 and envision a "negative" version or reverse image of your RH.

Go to the parts list here and search the YELLOW (LH) items for the 870.

http://www.remington...sPriceList.ashx

Yep. Extractor slot cut, bolt, barrel, ejector are all different. Look at your RH 870 and envision a "negative" version or reverse image of your RH.

Go to the parts list here and search the YELLOW (LH) items for the 870.

http://www.remington...sPriceList.ashx

I don't have a RH 870, just the LH model. Thanks again Parker

Thanks for the responses to my question, I have one more. I intended for my Remington 870 to be dual purpose HD and Trap/Skeet. After learning there aren't many options for the left handed 870s I went ahead a ordered a Magpul 870 tactical from Buds.

How difficult is it to swap the safety switch? I swapped the control lever on my HK45 with no problem and was hoping I could do the same on the 870 tactical.

Thanks for the responses to my question, I have one more. I intended for my Remington 870 to be dual purpose HD and Trap/Skeet. After learning there aren't many options for the left handed 870s I went ahead a ordered a Magpul 870 tactical from Buds.

How difficult is it to swap the safety switch? I swapped the control lever on my HK45 with no problem and was hoping I could do the same on the 870 tactical.

It is an easy task to remove the old safety button. Just don't lose the little ball detent or that tiny spring that's held captive with the tiny cross pin. I have read that the Fortmann LH safety is designed to be used with the new trigger groups. I have no experience installing them.

Be mindful that if you look at that Remington parts list, there are a number of "LH" items on there that you can order. I notice that Remington sells a "LH" trigger plate assembly for RH eject. They also sell a LH eject, LHSafety (?). I couldn't tell you the difference between either one unless I had it in front of me on the workbench, so it may be wise to speak to Midway regarding the Fortmann LH safety before ordering and installation.

This link with illustrations should help you for installing the Fortmann LH safety. (If you have more questions, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to reach out to the fellow who put this thread together and ask him, for he installs his in a "new trigger group from eBay." I'd want to know what trigger plate assembly he installed it in.)

http://lhshooter.com...on-install-diy/