Combat Auto

Timming on Assult Weapon Ban and what it means in NJ

here's the kicker. imagine if the whole country adopted the jersey laws when it comes to banning all kinds of guns and the evil features...we would be able to buy stuff in the catalogs and won't be drooling at guns that we wish we could buy if only we lived in XX state. "Welcome to our world, America!" lol

Why get all wrapped around the axle about a new ban?

There isn't going to be one. The American public has a short attention span. Once all the funerals are over this will just fade away.

In addition, most of the news stories I've seen on TV today have already begun to shift their focus on how F'd up the kid and his family were, not so much on 'black guns'.

There will be some discussion on the subject of weapons, but it'll fade away to nothing eventually.

Relax folks.

Apparently we have a lot of young guys on this forum. Those of us who lived through the last one are thinking it out and will make a lot of money from the new ban and have the kinds of weapons that you can no longer buy.

http://en.wikipedia....ions_of_the_ban

During the last ban guns and magazines already owned were exempt and they became very valuable and commanded a lot of money if sold. I paid $100 for Glock hicap mags and more for 20 and 30 round AR mags. They have to grandfather existing weapons or they will make millions of people into instant criminals. Some people have hundreds of thousands invested in gun collections and you just do not take that away from them without compensation. My guess is that they will do as before but this time do not leave the large loopholes that existed in the last ban which focused on cosmetics due to the politicians not knowing much about guns.

There is a fly in the ointment as guns are a 1.5 billion dollar business if you count the manufactrers, importers, gunsmiths, gun stores, ranges, instructors, holster and accessory manufacturers, etc.. Any legislation that puts a big dent into that will have financial repricussions for the national economy. I think that they will end up focusing on reduced ammo capacity and perhaps require fixed magazines so that you cannot change a magazine and be back in business. Much like the California law which are easily overcome with some clever devices. We will see a ban on magazines over 10 rounds and no more rifles which the public perceives as "assault" weapons to be sold to civilians. Quite frankly it will be a hard sell to defend the AR and AK for hunting purposes as there is no good argument for them. A rifle with a built in 5 or 10 round mag is more than sufficient for hunting and our preferences will not matter.

I learned from the last AWB what to do. I have stockpiled hicap magazines and this weekend bought 3 new firearms that they will likely ban. I do not need them but they will prove to be a good investment. I know guys in NJ who made substantial amounts of money by buying up as many hicap mags as they could before the last ban and then selling them. What is the risk? I do not see anyone making already owned ones illegal so the risk is that you get stuck with a nice supply of guns and high cap magazines that othes will envy and that will last you a lifetime. :)

Thanks for your great post!

I'll give you the boating accident claim, but the rest has been covered.

I already turned all mine in at one of those "No questions asked gun buy backs". :whistle::spiteful:

I wouldn't invest to much into "Hi cap" mags for reselling purposes if I were you. The manufacturers saw the last ban coming and cranked out mags nonstop until the minute the ban went into effect. In the 10 years that law was in effect, the supply of "Hi Cap" AR and AK mags, as well as many others, never dried up. The only mags that were really valuable were some of the ones for less common guns that were never made in large quantities. The amount of standard cap mags out there now is a lot greater than last time, and passing a ban is no slam dunk for the gungrabbers, which would also have to be ruled constitutional by SCOTUS when the inevitable challenge comes - another likely place for a ban to hit a dead end.

This! People may have complained about the Heller decision, but it did establish a de facto multi-prong "test" for whether or not a gun was protected by the 2A. The "in common use" test is one of those prongs, and it would be really hard to argue that the AR-15 is not "in common use". Assuming they have the votes to get an AWB passed, it will likely fall to the legal challenge.

The magazine capacity limit may be another story. I'm not sure how the legal challenge to that one would go.

I personally think an AWB will have a hard time passing a republican house but its going to be a long drawn out political battle. If they do ban ARs and u own one will u be compensated for turning it in?

Want to know what people think on another matter though, the 10 round mag limit which I think will pass in 2013 AWB or not.

I already turned all mine in at one of those "No questions asked gun buy backs". :whistle::spiteful:

It would be the ultimate irony if "they" outlawed certain firearms and required them to be surrendered, and people stated that they had turned them in to the no questions asked, we don't check serial numbers, "buy back".

Funny, you won't hear about that in any of the news reports though...

You kind of do... they've been calling it an "assault type."

Which I suppose makes my father in law's Chevy Impala a "NASCAR Type" vehicle.

What do you need a car that goes 120 miles per hour for! What if you drove it recklessly and into some children? The only people who need a car that can go 120 miles per hour is the police!

Quite frankly it will be a hard sell to defend the AR and AK for hunting purposes as there is no good argument for them.

I can't vouch for the AK, although a few use the SKS as a hunting rifle since the ballistics of the cartridge is very similar to the 30/30.

There are quite a few people who use the AR as a gun for killing coyotes and prairie dogs since coyotes eat livestock and prairie dogs create holes which could break the legs of cattle.

You kind of do... they've been calling it an "assault type."

Which I suppose makes my father in law's Chevy Impala a "NASCAR Type" vehicle.

What do you need a car that goes 120 miles per hour for! What if you drove it recklessly and into some children? The only people who need a car that can go 120 miles per hour is the police!

That's actually a logical, solid argument. Of course you'd be called "ridiculous" for trying to use it.

I can't vouch for the AK, although a few use the SKS as a hunting rifle since the ballistics of the cartridge is very similar to the 30/30.

There are quite a few people who use the AR as a gun for killing coyotes and prairie dogs since coyotes eat livestock and prairie dogs create holes which could break the legs of cattle.

AR/AK..... if they banned one and not the other, that would be stupid. And what about all the M1s? Mini-14's and Mini-30s? Where would they fit in?

One of two things will happen: they'll try to ban ALL semi-autos or they'll add a bunch of specific guns by brand and model number. I find it hard to believe they'll just recycle the CAWB as it was... altho if that's as bad as it gets, i'll take it. And wait for it to sunset like last time.

An important concern which is getting little attention- AMMO. They might limit online purchase, limit amount you can buy, or add "crime tax" to ammo, anyway you look at it, cost of ammo will be going up, make sure to stock up now, good investment regardless.

Have you tried looking for ammo On-Line ?

An important concern which is getting little attention- AMMO. They might limit online purchase, limit amount you can buy, or add "crime tax" to ammo, anyway you look at it, cost of ammo will be going up, make sure to stock up now, good investment regardless.

I have heard this idea floated - basically an excise tax on ammunition that would make ammunition prohibitively expensive, but shooting ranges would not be subject to the tax, provided that they can guarantee that ammunition used at shooting ranges is consumed on the property. The theory is that people could still buy enough ammunition to have a magazine or two for home defense, but couldn't amass large quantities.

Of course, I don't think anybody who thought of this plan ever thought about reloading. This is the epitome of feel-good legislation, because... you know... no crazed killer would ever put $10,000 of ammo on his credit card if he expected to be alive to pay the bill.

But one advantage is that we would see less of Nutnfancy's trench runs.