mattio41

First Responders

As I sit in the aftermath of today's events, I feel I have to take time and reflect. And ultimately give thanks to all those whether you are a professional or first on the scene.

I am traveling in Ecuador at the moment, and while driving down the highway. My family and I were ones that were first on the scene of the most horrific traffic accident I have ever seen. 3 tractor trailers, a bus, and 3 small cars. It appears that it had started raining, the roads became slick, and it started with a tractor trailer jack knifing across the highway. Where the bus then speared head first into the trailer, and a second truck crashed into a small car carrying a family into the tractor. Two other cars had rolled over in the attempt to avoid the accident, while a third truck ( flipped on its side and slid into the pile.

I had immediately jumped out of the car and raced to the scene. I was joined by many others. As we desperately tried to evacuate the injured through broken windows of the bus. Some of inside handing out the wounded, se of down below carrying them to safety. I saw acts of heroism today that I will remember. Not discounting my own actions of what happened. I learned that it is possible that when lives are on the line, you reach down and find that inner strength. It is in fact possible for eight men to pick up a car and move it. I know because I did it.

As we carried the wounded, one could not be affected. I helped carry two women, who I believe will not survive their injuries. We removed two dead children from the crushed car. There is so much more that I saw today, that my mind is just racing.

We had stopped to by some mangoes, which took us all but 2 minutes to do. If we did not do that, could that have been us???

As we sit in traffic, trying to get home. I am covered in the blood of others. It will be several hours before we are home, and all I want to do, is get my family home and safe fr the events of today.

I am sorry to have written this, and maybe just because I need to vent my feelings somewhere. But as I do, I have to ask. How do you do this every day?? If you are one of the first responders out there, how do you do it?? And because you do it, I will always give thanks after today.

I would like to say thank you for doing what you did. I myself work with most of the vehicle extrications for my station.

These are things you carry with you for a long time, but know that you probably saved some lives today.

The reason I do it is because someone has to. I would only hope that if someone close to me needed help, they would have it.

Now get back to your family and cherish your time with them.

Harrowing, matti, just harrowing stuff. Glad you and your family are okay, though. Don't struggle with "what if''s?" at this point. Just be thankful it wasn't you and yours. You're a good man for jumping in there and doing what you could.

Good work, Mattio.

Not to denigrate police, EMS and firemen because they surely can't be everywhere and do a tremendous job when on scene, but those who arrive right after the accident and decided to help are the real First Responders. Most people just drive right by...after slowing down to take a look at the carnage.

Sorry that you had to experience that, and thank you for doing what you did. If it bothers you, talk to someone about it. Check with the local hospital or FD when you get home and they can put you in touch with someone who deals with critical incident stress debriefs.

Mattio; you are a good man for reacting the way you did. I'm sure you didn't count but as you and the others ran to the scene you also ran past many more who sat in their cars and did nothing. In times of emergencies and stress a persons true self come out - you are to be commended for being a good hearted person right down to your soul.

I'm sorry you had to see and experience that. I'm sorry anyone has to see and experience that. We live in a world that has a lot of pain, death and evil - but we are also blessed to have people who are selfless and willing to respond in times of crisis.

I grew up as a bad asthmatic and took many ambulance rides as a child. When I was in elementary school I wrote that I wanted to be an EMT when I grew up based on my experiences as a patient. I became an EMT right out of high school and after years of experience on the Basic end, I went to Paramedic school. I started because I wanted to give back, I enjoy helping people and I like working outside in an uncontrolled environment. I have reached an age where I have been in EMS for more then half my life and I have no plans on doing anything else. I tell students that this job takes a special kind of crazy. I have been teaching students In this field, in 1 way or another, for 12 years. I have seen a lot of people get certified as a basic EMT and after a few bad calls they decide this isn't for them. I've had new EMT's completely freeze up. I once had one walk away crying a d call for a taxi - she quit EMS that moment and became an alcoholic. (She got her life back together since). The people who do this job for a long time true lay are a special kind of crazy.

How do I live with it? God gives me the strength. This is where he wants me so this is where i am. In my years I have seen over ten thousand patients, many I forget, some I never will. I carry some calls and patients with me and I will never forget them, even if I try. I have stepped in every fluid that human body is capable of making. I have stepped in guts, brains and things I couldn't identify. I spilled coffee on my uniform the other day and the girl at wawa was concerned, I told her that if this is the worst fluid I get on my uniform today, it's a good day.

Years ago I took a class (CISM) Critical Incident Stress Management and joined a CISM team. After particularly bad calls CISM teams are often called in to help the responders deal with the stress and concerns of the call. CISM teams have drasticly reduced the number of people in who suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. (PTSD). CISM teams also can help hook responders up with therapists if a debriefing isn't enough. Most of the time it is, sometimes it isn't.

In a big accident like the one you encountered, especially with dead kids, a CISM meeting will likely be scheduled. You are welcome to go, reach out to the responding EMS, Police or Fire departments for information. You may find it helpful. I also PM'd you my contact info if you have questions of want to talk.

God Bless and Merry Christmas.

Ron