BOOMSTICK

High-Capacity Magazines Bill To Be Introduced

http://www.huffingto..._n_2376838.html

WASHINGTON -- House Democrats will introduce legislation to ban the production of high-capacity magazines on the first day of the next congressional session, the office of Rep. Diana DeGette (D-Colo.), one of the lawmakers sponsoring the bill, told The Huffington Post.

The Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act will mirror a failed bill introduced during the 112th Congress. Its authors hope that in the wake of the shooting deaths of 20 first grade students in Newtown, Conn., there will be heightened political urgency to act when it is reintroduced on Jan. 3.

Backed by DeGette and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), the legislation has gained a wave of Democratic co-sponsors since the shooting, which also claimed the lives of 7 adults. But no Republican has come forward yet to offer his or her support. Even more critical to its political prospects, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has not indicated whether he will allow such legislation to come to the floor for a vote.

Still, backers are hopeful, noting that a ban on high-capacity magazines -- which have been involved in many of the recent high-profile instances of mass gun violence -- would be a smaller concession for gun-rights advocates than a broader assault weapons ban.

The bill Democrats will introduce would limit magazines, belts, drums, feed strips and "similar device" to 10 rounds of ammunition. It would allow people to hold on to the "large capacity ammunition feeding device" that they currently own, but prohibit them from buying others or transferring the ones they have.

The bill would also exempt retired and current law enforcement officials who use those devices for "purposes of law enforcement (whether on or off duty)" as well as contractors who have been licensed to carry the devices for security purposes required by federal law.

"I'm not so naïve as to think that we can pass some law that will stop a deranged person from taking a gun and shooting people," DeGette told The Huffington Post two weeks ago. "What I am interested in is making it as difficult as possible for that deranged person to shoot as many people as possible."

"The bill Democrats will introduce would limit magazines, belts, drums, feed strips and "similar device" to 10 rounds of ammunition. It would allow people to hold on to the "large capacity ammunition feeding device" that they currently own, but prohibit them from buying others or transferring the ones they have."

How are they going to stop people from selling ones they currently own? Magazine registration?

"The bill Democrats will introduce would limit magazines, belts, drums, feed strips and "similar device" to 10 rounds of ammunition. It would allow people to hold on to the "large capacity ammunition feeding device" that they currently own, but prohibit them from buying others or transferring the ones they have."

How are they going to stop people from selling ones they currently own? Magazine registration?

It won't... Just a rehash of the 94 AWB. Mags post AWB had to be dated and there was no way to prohibit "pre ban" mags from changing hands since they were grandfathered

It won't... Just a rehash of the 94 AWB. Mags post AWB had to be dated and there was no way to prohibit "pre ban" mags from changing hands since they were grandfathered

Do you mean the manufacturer had to engrave the date of production on the mags?

I never looked st my mags that closely... But other plastic item have a date code "cast in " to the plastic...construction Hard hats have such a code on the underside of the bill/ visor

Sounds like they know they are losing this battle and now they want to compromise. Not one inch. Sorry, but go after the bad guys

exactly...like the ny fireman shooter...they push his having the same weapons as the other shooters...but dont talk about him killing his grandmother with a hammer...wheres the hammer ban?

This to me reveals alot. The anti gun nuts' ultimate manifest destiny fantasy is to limit everything down to 1-round. Just read between the lines. This would be "AWB" 4.0, and counting. If they keep 'banning', there would be nothing left but THIN AIR. Which is their Ultimate goal, do NOT be fooled for one second.

why do you care you don't even live in a high cap state? D.A.

Sure we do, for NJ 15 rounds IS high capacity, LOL. :jester: But on a more serious note, I have several magazines that were originally 20's but are now permanently fixed to only hold 15. How in the world do you prove you possessed them before this type of ban? Most receipts are long gone, and ones for my mini14 were done by a buddy in Pa for me. Sounds like I would be SOL.

Also, I really have to stop reading these threads, as they just aggravate me to no end. The last part of that article where the politician is quoted had really gotten to me. WTF. This isn't the first time an anti gun politician basically admits that these bans would do nothing but still want to go through with them anyway. :censored:

No all mags going forward once a ban becomes law will be stamped "For Law Enforcement Only". At least thats how the last one worked. Question is will NJ make their own rules as far as grandfathering existing mags that we own. Hope not.

No all mags going forward once a ban becomes law will be stamped "For Law Enforcement Only". At least thats how the last one worked. Question is will NJ make their own rules as far as grandfathering existing mags that we own. Hope not.

the only problem now is that there are thousands of legally owned magazines stamped "Law Enforcement/Military Use Only." How do they plan on differentiating between once bought in 2005 and one bought (possibly illegally) in 2013...

the only problem now is that there are thousands of legally owned magazines stamped "Law Enforcement/Military Use Only." How do they plan on differentiating between once bought in 2005 and one bought (possibly illegally) in 2013...

Because if they were already purchased in 2005 they are grandfathered. Amy new mags will have the stipulation the awb provides stamped on any new mags