matty

NY Firemen shooting Straw purchaser

Every father, grandfather, Uncle Joe, Aunt Josephine, etc., that's given a kid an old or new gun for Christmas, his birthday, his Confirmation, a gun that he's grown up with and still has to this day; those people are all guilty of the same crime: a "straw purchase." That situation is very much a reality.

It's slightly different as she purchased guns for a known felon. Even if she didn't know he was a felon, it should've raised suspicion when he asked her to buy the guns, he being someone capable of affording a gun on their own.

Buying a gun for a kid is different. A kid won't have a criminal record nor do they have the income to purchase the gun on their own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You CAN buy a gun for anyone who can legally purchase a gun on there own... That is not a straw purchase... if the transfer follows federal and state laws there is no way in any shape or form your committing a straw purchase. A straw purchase is the illegal transfer of a firearm, that's all it is, with the intent on doing so during the original legal purchase.

A straw purchase is when you buy a firearm for someone because they CAN'T buy one. I can go out right now and buy a pistol for my brother using one of my permits, i would be stretching the question if the gun purchased was for me and not someone else, but i CAN legally turn around and transfer it to my brother via P2P. Now if i just gave it to him with out a p2p, then yes, its a straw purchase.

It's slightly different as she purchased guns for a known felon. Even if she didn't know he was a felon, it should've raised suspicion when he asked her to buy the guns, he being someone capable of affording a gun on their own.

Buying a gun for a kid is different. A kid won't have a criminal record nor do they have the income to purchase the gun on their own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course.

You CAN buy a gun for anyone who can legally purchase a gun on there own... That is not a straw purchase... if the transfer follows federal and state laws there is no way in any shape or form your committing a straw purchase. A straw purchase is the illegal transfer of a firearm, that's all it is, with the intent on doing so during the original legal purchase.

A straw purchase is when you buy a firearm for someone because they CAN'T buy one. I can go out right now and buy a pistol for my brother using one of my permits, i would be stretching the question if the gun purchased was for me and not someone else, but i CAN legally turn around and transfer it to my brother via P2P. Now if i just gave it to him with out a p2p, then yes, its a straw purchase.

I've been told multiple times, by multiple lawyers, that the above info is.false..

If i were to purchase 10 AR's, with the INTENTION of giving them to someone else, you are indeed making a straw purchase..

I've been told multiple times, by multiple lawyers, that the above info is.false..

If i were to purchase 10 AR's, with the INTENTION of giving them to someone else, you are indeed making a straw purchase..

I buy 10 AR's today, and sell them off tomorrow to legal gun owners.... please tell me how the court will proceed to tell me what my intentions were or were not when i bought the guns?, speculation doesn't fly in a court room. When the guns end up going through illegal transfers, well... your actions speak for themselves. NJ makes this very simple in that they require a contract be signed during every transaction, so that each time a gun is transferred a contract assigns liability of possession to the buyer and liability of sale to seller. Form 4473, when asked if the gun is for you(are you the actually buyer of the gun), you can answer yes, the gun IS being bought by you. You can then do what you want with the gun there after as long as you follow the law... If i buy a gun for someone it is still MY gun until i transfer it legally to someone else, even if my intentions were not to keep it. If someone gives you the money for it to buy, that can cause an issue, but if I use my money, no issue.... i am buying the gun and i'm not buying it on behalf of someone.... if the intentions were for someone to buy it there after or be gifted through a legal transfer... no law against that.

there is no "straw purchase" law, The ATF uses Title 18 to prosecute. I'm not a lawyer, but i'd like to know what lawyer/s told you what is and is not a straw purchase when we don't have the laws to support the claim. They prosecute straw purchases using the transfer laws in place.

I am not a lawyer not is this legal advice by any means:

It says right on the 4473 what "actual tranferee/buyer" means.

ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to buy a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT THE ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER of the firearm and must answer "NO" to 11a. The licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer "YES" to question 11a. However you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable cause to believe is prohibited under 18 U.S.C Sec. 922(g), (n), or (x).

That said, I thought CMP allowed one to have a proxy select a rifle at their stores?