plode

FL CCW Fingerprint issues

I'm trying to apply for my FL CCW(non-resident) permit. As I'm sure many of you may know, the fingerprints must be done by a law enforcement agency.

My local LE is NJSP.

NJSP now contracts through Sagem Morpho for any non-arrest related need(firearms). Since Sagem Morpho isn't a LE agency, that doesn't fulfill the FL requirement for the fingerprinting.

I've tried a bunch of different local municipalities to see if they would do it, and they all switched to electronic fingerprinting- for arrests only, and don't even have the ink anymore.

I also tried my County Sheriff and was told no.

Not trying to "bash" them but, I PM'd and e-mailed(over 2 weeks ago) Gun For Hire to see when they would be coming to Winslow(South Jersey Shooting Club) for CCW processing, and did not get a reply to either, although my PM was marked as "read".

Any ideas of where to get fingerprinted(or anyone know a "friendly" PD that might do it near Cape May County)?

I also have 3 other friends in the same predicament.

IMPORTANT! Florida is cracking down on fingerprints card. They must prepared via an entity with a valid, recognized originating agency identification (ORI). There were far too many FL CCW "classes" going on with folks who indeed know how to take proper fingerprints, but not really supposed to be doing so. For those teaching the classes in NJ, you will find they generally have obtained services of an off-duty officer who has obtained permission from his agency/department to do so and use the ORI. I've heard this a number of times from fellow instructors who do the CCws too.

Look under the vendor sponsor section in this forum.The guys at Gun For Hire can help you.They have done all my prints and I've never had a problem.They arent near Cape May,but if you cant get to them they may know someone by you.Good Luck

I'll second GFH, and I have been busy and haven't made the last few, but GFH staff was always at NJ2AS meetings doing the pictures and printing for the FL CCW application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gun For Hire has not replied to my PM or e-mail. According to an RSO at SJSC, they apparently would come down to do CCW processing pretty regularly. I asked in the e-mail when they would be coming down again as it isn't on any of their schedules.

The next NJ2AS meeting is at Gun For Hire, which is 135 miles from here, a bit of a hike to get fingerprints done.

I've asked a couple retired LEO's I know to ask around for me and see if they can find an officer to do them for me.

If I cannot find someone in the next 2 weeks(until next NJ2AS meeting), I'll talk to my friends about car-pooling and driving up there for it.

Everything else is completed ready to mail out.

It really shouldn't matter that your local PD uses electronic prints now. It just means that instead of sending them electronically, they just have to print them out on the fingerprint card that FL supplies (although I believe it is just a standard FBI print card). Actually much neater - no ink involved. That's what my local PD does - free of charge for residents.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Push your county PD. A kid who worked for me over the summer needed to be fingerprinted in order for the SEC to let him work for me. He called his local PD and they said he couldn't do it. He called the sheriff and they said no as well. I got on the phone and asked them nicely if they could please do them as they must be done on paper and his local PD refused. I got an "OK fine...bring them in". I experienced the same thing with my local PD. I needed to get paper prints for a Florida Insurance License. They finally agreed to do them.

It's not that they DON'T do them, it's that they don't WANT to do them.

I did mine at local PD last year. They practically invited me in. They did the initial and the renewal. But I work 'in the field' and I suppose they were just being helpful. But point is, I think some PD, like was said, do not WANT to do them.

Well after calling every law enforcement agency in Cape May County, none would do it.

I finally put in an e-mail to the Atlantic County Sheriff's Department and they replied back that they would be more than happy to do it for me, gave me the dates and times they are open for fingerprinting etc.

So I went up there today, a Sheriff's officer printed me, gave me a mini lesson on the different kinds of fingerprints and even said that one of my fingers has a very unique pattern that apparently only 2% of the population has. He then gave me an envelope to mail my CCW application to FL, gave me some tips(like sending it certified rather than just regular old mail so I'm sure they received it) made a couple copies of my prints for me to have, should I need them, and then sat around and BS'd for 10 more minutes with a couple other officers(mainly about the gun craziness currently going on. Despite what the media wants you to think, they are all pro-gun for the sane, law abiding citizens).

This is the way every law enforcement agency should be. They are truly there to serve the people, rather than tell them they can't do something like fingerprint someone.

Got everything else all done and mailed it out today. They should get it by the end of the week, so that puts the "90 days" they take to process the permits at mid April for me getting the permit. Perfect timing as I'm planning a trip to FL in April.