Sign in to follow this  
Sig226GuyNJ

New Jersey cop who was spotted sleeping in patrol car now loses loaded gun

The PBA is offering a $1000 reward

http://www.trentonian.com/article/20130109/NEWS01/130109654/police-union-offers-reward-for-officer-146-s-gun

TRENTON — The Trenton Policeman’s Benevolent Association Local 11 has approved a $1,000 reward for bringing Officer Richard Takach’s lost handgun to the Trenton Police Department.

“We want that gun back,” PBA President George Dzurkoc said. “We don’t want anyone to be injured or worse by the department’s property.”

Takach lost his service weapon early Monday morning at the West Precinct substation at the end of his shift when he placed the gun on the rear bumper and drove away, according to a police report left at The Trentonian. A search by three officers and a search dog was unsuccessful.

“It’s not a sign of him being careless, it was an accident, nobody intentionally loses a weapon,” Takach’s attorney Stuart Alterman said to NBC10. “He was changing in and out of his duty uniform to his street clothes, he was transferring his weapon from his duty holster to an off-duty holster and unfortunately he lost a weapon. He left it on the car or the truck. When he realized it was gone, he called, he drove back to Trenton, they looked for it and he notified his superiors immediately.”

Excluding the costs of the holster and ammunition, the value of the Glock M23 handgun is estimated to be between $600 and $700. If the gun is not recovered, the city would be on the hook to replace it.

“It was a mistake, but the taxpayers should not have to pay for his error,” Councilman George Muschal, himself a retired police officer, said. “If he lost the gun and it’s never found, he should have to pay restitution for it.”

Muschal said callers to the councilman’s hotline have indicated that the lost weapon is somewhere in West Trenton and seem interested in providing information leading to the weapon’s recovery — if there is a reward involved.

And I can't carry...lol There is no excuse for this at all... coming from a police family that makes me embarrassed. I'm sure he had his wallet on his pocket when he left. Between credentials, badge, and gun I watch the family treat them like there an extension of the body. Only time there not in eye sight or on the body is bed time and celebrations.

Placed on the rear bumper, he drives away, but thats not careless? The difference between public employment vs. Private employment is accountability, in the private world the boss would just look at him and say "do I have to say the words?" no union to say job for life. Defending this guy just gives any cop with a brain a bad name.