Celraysoda

Looking for CC holster for Glock 26

Hoping you all can help. My brother in law who is military and lives in Florida just purchased a Glock 26 as his primary CCW. The holster the shop gave him is horribly uncomfortable. These are his requests and wants to know if you all can suggest something as some of you may have more experience with holsters.

Inside or outside pants

Can be removed quickly I.e. no belt loops

Leather

Prefferably for the small of the back

He will also be needing a shoulder holster as he wants to get into security.

-Thanks.

Probably more holstes for Glocks than any other similarly sized gun on the market so Google is your friend. Small of the back and shoulder holsters are usually not the recommended choices no matter what your job will be. They mostly tend to be bought by those who see them on TV and think they are cool so your friend may want some expert advice. I am ex military and because I carried both a pistol and rifle in combat, it did not prepare me at all for civilian carry and I wasted a lot of money on holster that I saw on TV or in the movies.

SOB holsters are uncomfortable if you have to sit down like to drive and most stay away from them in LE because if you fall on your back you can be seriously injured by your gun pressing into your spine. As far as shoulder holsters go you have to always wear a jacket or large outer garment and worst of all you are muzzling anyone near you either all the time if using a horizontal type or when you draw from a vertical one. Also must make sure you have a thumb strap as your gun can and will fall out when you bend over. Plus your arm will always brush against it as you have a thick gun between your rib cage and arm. Very uncomfortable and they usuall print if you move around. On TV the actors do no wear them until the scene calls for them to show them.

I urge your friend to speak to a professional or just read a good book by Massad Ayoob before spending money on a holster of these types. The fact that he even paid for a piece of garbage holster to being with tells me he is not yet knowledgeable about holsters the same as I was when I moved to Florida. I have 4 drawers full of concealed carry holsters and sold off 4 more drawers recently. My suggestion, since I have carried a Glock 26 and have bad hips, is one of the hybrid holsters for IWB (like the Galco King Tuk) which can be worn with a tucked or untucked shirt. Very comfortable and adjustable. For OWB you cannot beat a pancake type holster. Surprisingly enough, the Glock made pastic holser for the 26 that sells for about $12 works conceals very well and is comfortable but just about every holster maker has a pancake or similar design for the 26.

A word about gun belts. Something very few ever consider is the gun belt. I know first hand, lord do I know, what a difference having a gun belt makes in not only comfort but concealability. Most people buy a good gun and holster and then carry it either on a Kmart dress belt or a thick dress belt. A good gun belt will preven the gun/holster combo from torquing out from your body, distribute the weight better and prevent your pants from being dragged down by the weight of the gun. I personally use the instructor type frequent Flyer web belts from Wilderness Tactical. Justs two polymer rings and a web belt. You can infinitely adjust them and have a choice of about 3-4 different levels of thickness. Tip, large guys like me find the stiffest one, with polymer insert, to be the most comfortable. However, most of the holster makers make good plain or fancy gun belts in all widths for dress, casual or duty wear. Do not skimp on the gun belt as many a holster that was uncomfortable for me ended up being comfortable with the right gun belt.

Take or leave my advice but after 3 years of learning the hard way, this is my advice. The two carry methods you mention are not near the top of the list for those of use who carry guns daily whether as a civilian or a professional. That you can find out for yourself on the internet or just looking at the holsters sold by companies. They may have one SOB and one Shoulder holster model but the rest of them are traditional belt holsters because that is what works the best and is most comfortable. Ever try to draw you gun from a SOB holster after a bad guy broke your gun arm. Cannot be done but I learned in class that I can draw my gun from a traditional belt holster worn at 3-4 o'clock with my opposite hand. Little things like this and trying to draw a gun from a SOB holster while driving (better pray that the bad guy gives you time) in training taught me which holsters are best.

As far as easy on and off you can select a paddle holster (not my first choice as they can be twisted off you), one that has a metal clip or one that uses snap leather loops. I take my gun and holster off a lot since I have to enter federal building for my job and find the one swith a metal clip to be the best but for OWB a quality paddle or my favorite, snap on leather loops offset to the side of the holster, are the most comfortable for me. Since the Glock 26 is so common you can buy ready made quality holsters from Galco or Desantis. Just go to their websites and enter your gun model and see what holsters they offer for it. Then DO NOT buy them directly from them. Instead go to Opticsplanet.com and search for the holster you want and save a bunch of money and have it shipped in a day or two. Maybe longer now as every one is overwhelmed with orders.

To add...

A lot of holster makers have OWB offerings that have snaps on the belt loops so you do not have to remove the belt to remove the holster. It's a nice feature if you want to have that ability.

SOB holsters are quite dangerous. Very concealable, but dangerous. Lots of spine injuries have been had with them on. My suggestion, have him speak with a quality holster maker and see what can be done for it. And I agree with the above poster, do NOT skimp on the belt.

This guy is in Florida and is real nice to talk to, to boot.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

C

I've carried a handgun just about everyday for nearly 40 years and a G26 for about 13.

IWB-Best concealment. I use them but something minimalist like a DeSantis Sof Tuk. I can't see much sense in the IWBs that have snaps and paddles where the holster is a lot bigger than the gun. A lot of your security with a IWB comes from how tight your belt is. It can be uncomfortable if you get the wrong holster. Usually slower draw than a OWB.

OWB-Strong side 2-4 o'clock probably the best way to carry a SD gun. I've tried just about everything and about 25 years ago found the DeSantis Speed Scabbard. I have one for every gun I carry on a regular basis (including the one I got 25 years ago). Its a very secure holster without a safety strap (which I prefer) but they offer it with a thumb break if you prefer.

Leather- only way to go with the exception of some specialized uses.

SOB-already covered looks cool but that's about it. Weapon retention sucks.

Shoulder Holster- I have them and use them but I find them best for:

1. Full size handguns moreso if you have a short jacket.

2. If you're spending most of the time in a car or climbing in and out of an aircraft or armored vehicle.

3. For a second gun if you already have one on your hip.

They are bad if you have to grapple with someone or need to run. they get hot in the summer.

You say he is interested in security work. As in executive protection? I've worked Secret Service details mostly for foreign dignitaries during UN functions but also for G.W. Bush during the convention in Philly in 2000. FWIW I never saw anyone who had to be in a suit all day use a shoulder holster. Always a strong side OWB.

The only thing I didn't cover above is the easy on easy off.

IMO you're sacrificing some security with these types of holsters. No way is a paddle, some snaps and/or clips as secure as a holster with a belt threaded through it. There's a video out there where a guy grabs a gun in a Fobus paddle holster with both hands and rips the holster right off the paddle. Those holsters with big paddles are uncomfortable in hot weather. Some will shift no matter how much you tighten your belt.

I've also never quite seen the logic behind easy on and off holsters. When you need to be armed you put the holster on and take it off when you're done. The holster for my EDC sits by my wallet and other stuff I put in my pockets and goes on when I put my pants on. If I come home and want to not carry the gun around the house I take it out of the holster and put it away.

Can someone give me a scenario where one needs to take their gun on and off so many times a day a "quick release" holster makes sense.

IMO you're sacrificing some security with these types of holsters. No way is a paddle, some snaps and/or clips as secure as a holster with a belt threaded through it. There's a video out there where a guy grabs a gun in a Fobus paddle holster with both hands and rips the holster right off the paddle. Those holsters with big paddles are uncomfortable in hot weather. Some will shift no matter how much you tighten your belt.

I've also never quite seen the logic behind easy on and off holsters. When you need to be armed you put the holster on and take it off when you're done. The holster for my EDC sits by my wallet and other stuff I put in my pockets and goes on when I put my pants on. If I come home and want to not carry the gun around the house I take it out of the holster and put it away.

Can someone give me a scenario where one needs to take their gun on and off so many times a day a "quick release" holster makes sense.

When you carry IWB on clips there is no reason anyone should even know you have a gun... Let alone be grabbing for it... I carry IWB with those metal clips all the time... Gun fits snug doesn't fall out... I like to be able to just pull the rig off on the off chance I need to disarm... Post office... Court house... Etc...

Never had any security issues with that rig...

I agree and only use belt threaded holsters myself mainly becuase they hug the gun closer to my body than the ones with loops or clips on the side. If I have to remove my gun I simply remove the gun and keep the holster on. I like leather too but lately I have bought a few of the hybrids. Leather against my body and a thin kydex shell. Put a fat Glock 26 in a leather holsters like the summer comfort with a reinforced mouth and it adds quite a bit more thickness to the total package compared to kydex.

When you carry IWB on clips there is no reason anyone should even know you have a gun... Let alone be grabbing for it... I carry IWB with those metal clips all the time... Gun fits snug doesn't fall out... I like to be able to just pull the rig off on the off chance I need to disarm... Post office... Court house... Etc...

Agreed. I tend to prefer the J clips as they fold under your belt so they cannot be yanked off. Do not recommend those other kind of clips that you find on cell phone cases that easily come off. In Florida it is warm to hot all the time so my normal dress is Tee Shirt and shorts. An IWB holster works fine even with my HK P2000SK. I like CompTec Minotaur holsters for my bigger guns. Nice leather cushion and changeable shells.

Vlad if it works for you fine. However you need to consider the possibility you may be in a physical confrontation that doesn't warrant deadly force. I guarantee there's someone out there that can rip that holster off. Steel or plastic clips, j clips, snaps or whatever. As I said before I use IWB holsters but the snatchability is something you can't brush off based on "they shouldn't even know you have a gun".

On the "off chance" I need to disarm I just take the gun out of the holster and secure it in the car. I've never seen any paddle holster you didn't have to at least loosen you belt to put it on or off so what are you really gaining?

Vlad if it works for you fine. However you need to consider the possibility you may be in a physical confrontation that doesn't warrant deadly force. I guarantee there's someone out there that can rip that holster off. Steel or plastic clips, j clips, snaps or whatever. As I said before I use IWB holsters but the snatchability is something you can't brush off based on "they shouldn't even know you have a gun".

On the "off chance" I need to disarm I just take the gun out of the holster and secure it in the car. I've never seen any paddle holster you didn't have to at least loosen you belt to put it on or off so what are you really gaining?

I guess anything is possible? but with that said a gun could be taken from any rig... with as tight as my IWB setup is I am pretty confident the gun is coming out before the holster would go...

but more to the point of what you are saying.. you bring up one of the lamest parts about concealed carry... a LOT of people throw a gun on and have no other physical training... if you are going to carry a gun you should really invest in some self defense classes beyond just the gun so you can understand how to keep yourself safe..

I guess anything is possible? but with that said a gun could be taken from any rig... with as tight as my IWB setup is I am pretty confident the gun is coming out before the holster would go...

but more to the point of what you are saying.. you bring up one of the lamest parts about concealed carry... a LOT of people throw a gun on and have no other physical training... if you are going to carry a gun you should really invest in some self defense classes beyond just the gun so you can understand how to keep yourself safe..

Vlad I agree wholeheartedly that too many think of SD a just carrying a gun.