Sign in to follow this  
Combat Auto

S&W 629 44mag with 4 inch barrel

M4brigringo has one , though I think it's a 6"

But just a thought, if you were going to add only one revolver to your collection, I personally wouldn't make it a 44 mag. I'd buy a 38/357 variant like a 686 / 627 or other of the various 6-8 shot models.

44 mag is a blast to shoot though

And this is correct

I just keep buying and buying them, I can't stop

ME: Hello, my name is NJCK, and I'm addicted to S&W.

GROUP: Hi NJCK!

Like said before me, it's an S&W, 'nuf said... I own 29s and 629s, including 4" and they're fantastic. However, I wouldn't recommend one as your 1 and only 1 amongst semi-autos. Instead, I would recommend you find yourself a nice S&W 686 pre-lock. Feed it .38Spl for practice and .357 Mag is an effective SD round.

.44mag is actually a dual cartridge revolver too. .44 mag/.44 special So you can go bold or go mild!

I have a S&W .44 Mountain Gun with 4" barrel. The Mountan Gun was a special offering by S&W with a slighty trimmed down style for lighter weight.

It still has some heft too it and is a great little shooter. Have both the wooden grips and a set of Crimson Trace Hog Grips.

mountaingun_zps9a759aa4.jpg

This is the M29 blued version but it also came in SS Model 629.

If you one of your semis is a .45, you might want to consider that caliber for the wheel gun.

You can modify some wheel guns to handle regular .45 LC and .45 ACP using a moon clip.

I am considering doing this to my .44. There are some folks on the forum who can speak in great detail on this.

http://www.tkcustom.com/

Choices, choices choices !

So to answer your question: S&W, very accurate, and nice to shoot. Very Reliable with minimal care. But Ruger makes some nice revolvers too.

And even though it is looked down on by some folks, I have found Taurus (recent models) to handle very well too.

You should go to some gun stores and handle a bunch! The grips are different enough to give a very unique feel in shooting.

No wrong or right, just preference. I don't think you would go wrong with any of these three.

Have Fun!

Wow, Guys - thanks for al the great insight!

This would be a "novelty" gun for me - so wouldn't be shooting 200 rounds every 2 weeks like I do with my 45 autos...But I do intend to have fun with it from time-to-time....The 500m is tempting - but I do have a 44mag Marlin-lever-action carbine (it is a lite-weight Beats ;-) and very accurate) - so I'll stick with 44m and one less round to stock...Sounds like all good experience with S&W - so I will get the 629 when they are available (all the usual places are out right now).

Wow, Guys - thanks for al the great insight!

This would be a "novelty" gun for me - so wouldn't be shooting 200 rounds every 2 weeks like I do with my 45 autos...But I do intend to have fun with it from time-to-time....The 500m is tempting - but I do have a 44mag Marlin-lever-action carbine (it is a lite-weight Beats ;-) and very accurate) - so I'll stick with 44m and one less round to stock...Sounds like all good experience with S&W - so I will get the 629 when they are available (all the usual places are out right now).

Sorry, BEAST (not Beats).