rightisright

Does ANYONE make a low profile gas block that uses pins??

I know most low pro gas blocks would be fine if red-loctited then screwed down. But pinning the block thru the barrel like it was meant to be seems much stronger to me.... and I like to make my guns Murphy-resistant.

I guess I could always WECSOG an A2 FSB and make my own. Does anyone know of a company that makes a low-pro that uses pins? Google has failed me today.

I don't know off hand if any are pre-drilled for a pin, as there's no standard place on a barrel for the pin to slip into. You'd need someone to drill a hole through the block, and cut a slot in the barrel for the pin to go through. Shouldn't be a pricey job at all.

To my knowledge no one makes one, but someone may come along and prove me wrong at any time.

If it is a new barrel and gas block, you should be able to send a lo-pro gas block and barrel to ADCO and they can drill them in a jig and put in the taper pins for you.

I do not know if any local (NJ) venders will provide that service.

Also as you stated, if it has a FSB just cut it down and make your own.

Making a lo-pro gas block that reuses the same taper pin spacing as a a-frame sight would also make it needlessly long. I suppose it could just use the rear pin, but it seems that most, if not all blocks always use at least 2 fasteners with whatever system they use. Plus a clamp on block uses simple tools to service/replace which is a big plus over having to drill/ream for pins. Combined with what others said, its probably not the best route.

The general consensus is that a pin is not needed. Is your barrel dimpled? BCM makes their carbines with set-screwed low-pro blocks or regular taper pinned front sight bases. They dimple the barrel where the rear set screw goes for the low pros. Furthermore, they use Rocksett on the screws. If they do it that way, I'm inclined to believe you really don't need a pin. Those guys build some serious rifles.

However, if in fact you DO want a pin...ADCO performs a low-pro GB pinning service. As others have stated, it's NOT a taper pin. It's an actual pin similar to the way you'd pin a muzzle brake.

Lastly, you could make a homemade low pro gas block out of an F-Front Sight Base like this:

fsb3.jpg

fsb8.jpg

fsb11.jpg