Caine

Senate hearing on "gun control" happening now

Apparently Feinstein decided that these hearings were too "slanted" against the gun-control crowd so she's opting to hold her OWN hearings. I wonder how many pro-2A people will be allowed to attend that one....

Apparently Feinstein decided that these hearings were too "slanted" against the gun-control crowd so she's opting to hold her OWN hearings. I wonder how many pro-2A people will be allowed to attend that one....

That would be none. It's easy to come to the conclusions that you want when you have the participants who think EXACTLY the same as you do. So the hypocrite doesn't think that HER hearings would be slanted?

Watching the replay on C-SPAN now. Reminds me why I didn't get into government. Durbin needs to stop his advertising that Chicago has 6x the number of guns confiscated as NYC. That just reinforces the black hole that is Chicago's crime rate. He also doesn't understand the inherent right of the individual to defend themselves or the right of the PEOPLE to defend themselves from the tyranny of government.

Kopel coming out swinging!

Captain Kelly is definitely posturing for a run at a seat in Congress.

Graham: "The Constitution says guns in common use...". Where is that? I must have missed it in the hundred times I read the document... Also, his visual display states that handguns effective range is 25-50 yards (or meters). Mine is effective much closer than that. Anyone else? I agree with him overall, of course. Great closing line though.

Towards the end of the debate Chief Johnson was presented with statistical evidence to prove cities with the strictest gun control polices have the largest increase in firearms related deaths. At the same time, other cities who did not have gun control polices, were much safer. Johnson was asked why this was so. He side-stepped the question by saying that the reason Chicago has so many guns is because they are brought in from surrounding states.

So.... the reason Chicago's gun control doesn't work is because the rest of us need to be more like Chicago?!

What kind of biased lopsided debate is this. A debate should be about facts not opinions. Most of the Senators themselves are not very knowledgeable concerning constitutional law, the 2nd Amendment or firearms. They should recuse themselves from the proceedings. There needs to be a vetting process for the participants of this debate. Both sides need to be represented fairly.

In my opinion I think this debate is a waste of time. What we really need is to settle the meaning of the 2nd Amendment once and for all. The current debates and legislation may all be moot. Everyone needs to be on the same page, using the same baseline. Only then can we truly proceed to discuss the topic of firearms in our society. The argument needs to be turned around. It should not be about restricting firearms, it should be about defining our rights concerning firearms.

An example of the ridiculous burden already placed upon firearms owners... If you want to hike the Appalachian Trail (over 2,000 miles of it) or any portion thereof... and you have a license to carry; you are expected to know and follow ALL the firearms law of every state, county, and municipality or town you cross. That includes every Federal law and the law of each states Fish and Game Commission as well. That's insane. That's infringement.

- I have to stop here, as I am preaching to the choir. (Just had to vent a little).

Edited by johnott

This.

I am just as qualified an expert on space flight as he is on gun control policy.

Lol so true

Seriously people we can't put fuel in that rocket we need to use potato chips. We can attach it to a 747 and release it then the chips will launch them into space. I know because my wife eats potato chips.

I understand how people effected by gun violence can be intimidated by guns. Although some people become strong and prepare for the worse so next time their not the victim. Point is people effected/traumatized by a certain situation should not be the people making decisions about said situation. If people with the fear of elevators had a foothold in congress we would be one hell of a fit nation.