Rick_F

What if you send a handgun back to the manufacturer, and they replace it with a new one . . .

^ Thanks guys. I've been curious about that. I recently bought a Springfield Armory MC Operator that I'm having issues with http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46864-springfield-armory-mc-operator-finish-wear/page__fromsearch__1 . I have 1 permit left, so I was wondering if I should save it in case SA gets off their lazy asses and lets me know what they are going to do.

You will need a new permit. It is illegal for manufactures to use the same serial number on another gun. I have been through this. I did not hear this on the internet.

Thank you. I will err on the side of caution and save my permit until I get this resolved.

You will need a new permit. It is illegal for manufactures to use the same serial number on another gun. I have been through this. I did not hear this on the internet.

When did this happen? I'm not trying to bust your chops but 10-15 years ago I've seen some manufacturers do this. As I related above I've seen Glocks with say ABC123 be remade as ABC123X. That extra letter really makes a new sn I guess. Also saw a S&W M60 remade with the same serial number.

When did this happen? I'm not trying to bust your chops but 10-15 years ago I've seen some manufacturers do this. As I related above I've seen Glocks with say ABC123 be remade as ABC123X. That extra letter really makes a new sn I guess. Also saw a S&W M60 remade with the same serial number.

2 yrs ago with a Glock. Even the local pd thought they could just switch the serial number plate to a new frame. No chance, it is illegal to do so.

And yes, adding an X changes the serial number.