Kaiser7

Just kicking around ideas about what handgun I'd like to get

If you want a poor mans 5.7 get a Yugo/Romanian TT..for a couple of 100bux...it lll do most of the things that the 5.7 will.....small round but very fast.....a lot of reviews say overpenetration or whatever but i can assure you it can do damage with the speed of the round which is the same theory behind the 5.7.

Is TRUE weapon of Russian History. Milsurp Ammo used to be cheaper...

Actually my thinking is usually this with gun purchases. "Well, if I got this cheaper $300 gun, I could get it sooner! BUT, I could just save that $300 for a little bit longer, and get a BETTER gun!"

That's why, stupid as it is, I doubt I'd buy a .22 pistol first. In my mind, it makes more sense to save a little longer, and get a REAL pistol, and then get a .22 later on, with like, a tax return, or from selling some stuff on ebay.

Don't necessarily think that you're stuck buying 2 pistols if you went the .22 route first. You said you liked the Sig P226 and P229, why not try the Sig P-series Classic rimfire guns?

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-classic-22.aspx

@ around, $450, they provide a cheaper intro into the Sig world. You can shoot to your heart's content and get some good trigger time, and then down the road, purchase a Sig X-Change Kit to covert the same frame up to 9mm/.40s&w/.357sig when you're ready to shoot centerfire for about $350 more. You don't need another permit for the X-Change Kit either which is nice. 2 guns in one.

Don't necessarily think that you're stuck buying 2 pistols if you went the .22 route first. You said you liked the Sig P226 and P229, why not try the Sig P-series Classic rimfire guns?

http://www.sigsauer....classic-22.aspx

@ around, $450, they provide a cheaper intro into the Sig world. You can shoot to your heart's content and get some good trigger time, and then down the road, purchase a Sig X-Change Kit to covert the same frame up to 9mm/.40s&w/.357sig when you're ready to shoot centerfire for about $350 more. You don't need another permit for the X-Change Kit either which is nice. 2 guns in one.

Excellent plan. That's an excellent way to start. You can become proficient on the centerfire platform at 1/10 the cost in ammo.

For what it's worth, here is my $.02

Get a quality pistol used. This will knock a few hundred of the purchase price. I know Bullet Hole in Belleville, NJ has a pretty good selection of used pistols. I'm guessing other gun shops have some selection of used pistols as well. Some decent deals found on this website also.

Get a 9mm. Yup, lots of good calibers out there, but 9mm is cheapest / recoil is least objectionable of the viable self defense rounds. Lots of cool rounds out there, but cost will quickly add up. I can't tell you how many times I've read about people getting into pistol shooting and buying a .40/.45/357 Mag/ etc., only to wind up w/ a 9mm to offset practice expenses and be able to shoot it decently w/out the drama of trying to control a higher recoiling round. I am among those that went though this process. Not saying somewhere down the line to not get another caliber, but start w/ something that won't turn you off to shooting.

Whatever pistol you get, pick something that you can convert to .22lr. This will allow for very affordable practice. Or, buy an additional pistol...being a .22lr.

If you're serious about learning to shoot, take a class and invest time in doing dry fire practice at home. Makes a world of difference.

I prefer pistol w/ the same trigger for every shot, but don't limit myself to them. If you buy a used pistol, plan on learning how to disassemble the pistol to change out springs and what. Glocks and M&P's are great for this. Very easy pistols to work on and parts are plentiful and cheap. Pistols I'd consider...

Any Glock

Sig P series or SigPro/2022

Beretta 92/Vertec series

S&W 5950 or M&P series (really really like the M&P)

CZ75/85 series

HK USP/P2000/P30 (will probably run a little rich for you, but you never know what deal you can find)

Good luck

Kaiser, dont worry about what laws *maybe* passed, buy what you can legally own now! It'll always be easier to buy now and make something compliant if that unfortunate bill comes to pass vs trying to buy something that doesn't exist in the future.

Well, by the time I turn 21, get a PPP, and have the cash, it'll be a while.

I like to start looking at what I'm interested in ahead of time so I can do more research, and determine what I REALLY want.

The first handgun I ever shot was a Ruger Mk II and I instantly fell in love. A real tack driver and it has that Luger grip angle everyone loves. As people have said, you can shoot the .22 all day long for pennies a shot.

If you just plain want something bigger, I 'll cast another vote for the Beretta 92FS - my first purchase. I've put several hundred rounds through it and couldn't be happier with how its treating me as a first-time gun owner. Has a really good weight to it, feels good in the grip, and the decocker is a nice feature. Build quality is really solid and I think the open barrel is kind of sexy, like a nice, long pair of legs that makes your head turn. (Lifetime warranty doesn't hurt, either.) Paid $650 for it brand-new back in August; felt it was a little high but I love the gun and trust it with my life.

Well my sister just got her PPP and FID, so maybe I'll have her buy what I want, and see how it is XD.

My brother-in-law and sister pretty much always come to me with any gun-law, or firearm related questions. Thanks to NJGF, I actually have the answers!

Leaning towards a used 9mm sig 229/226, or 9mm 1911, though with nj mag limits potentially being 5 rounds might not bother if that passes :/

Good choice on the Sigs. I, as well as 4 friends of mine, have the P226. One of the best examples of a DA/SA metal frame fullsize handgun. Really accurate and very eay to control. My cousin has a 9mm P229 that I've fired a couple of times. Really really nice pistol, and very accurate. My buddy has 8 P-series Sigs. Just some advice,... don't rule out the P228's. One of Sig's best models. Sig are some of the easiest pistols to shoot accurately. They also have excellent mechanical accuracy for a service pistol. As a couple of people have already mentioned, if you can, start getting mags now. Just one cautionary note ( and I sometimes wonder if this gets too overblown on the web), is try to stick to pre 2005 Sigs as those guns have a better reliability track record.

The 1911 in 9mm sounds great, but, I may be very wrong on this, I get the impression 9mm in a 1911 is a less than perfect combination. I've read a few accounts of less than stellar reliability in this setup. Just about every negative review I've read centers around magazine problems. AFAIK, there is no "standard" on 9mm 1911 mags. Don't get me wrong, I think a 9mm 1911 would be very desirable in that recoil would be next to nothing and there is no trigger in any handgun I know of that could be turned into a more amazing trigger, than a 1911.

Kaiser, dont worry about what laws *maybe* passed, buy what you can legally own now! It'll always be easier to buy now and make something compliant if that unfortunate bill comes to pass vs trying to buy something that doesn't exist in the future.

+1!!!

Good choice on the Sigs. I, as well as 4 friends of mine, have the P226. One of the best examples of a DA/SA metal frame fullsize handgun. Really accurate and very eay to control. My cousin has a 9mm P229 that I've fired a couple of times. Really really nice pistol, and very accurate. My buddy has 8 P-series Sigs. Just some advice,... don't rule out the P228's. One of Sig's best models. Sig are some of the easiest pistols to shoot accurately. They also have excellent mechanical accuracy for a service pistol. As a couple of people have already mentioned, if you can, start getting mags now. Just one cautionary note ( and I sometimes wonder if this gets too overblown on the web), is try to stick to pre 2005 Sigs as those guns have a better reliability track record.

The 1911 in 9mm sounds great, but, I may be very wrong on this, I get the impression 9mm in a 1911 is a less than perfect combination. I've read a few accounts of less than stellar reliability in this setup. Just about every negative review I've read centers around magazine problems. AFAIK, there is no "standard" on 9mm 1911 mags. Don't get me wrong, I think a 9mm 1911 would be very desirable in that recoil would be next to nothing and there is no trigger in any handgun I know of that could be turned into a more amazing trigger, than a 1911.

You want to sell me one of those Sigs for super cheap as a 21st birthday gift? Just kidding.

As for a 9mm 1911, not going to lie, it's more desirable to me not just due to less recoil, and the fact I'm VERY inexperienced shoot handguns, but they had one in Fallout New Vegas, and I thought it was kind of cool.

You want to sell me one of those Sigs for super cheap as a 21st birthday gift? Just kidding.

As for a 9mm 1911, not going to lie, it's more desirable to me not just due to less recoil, and the fact I'm VERY inexperienced shoot handguns, but they had one in Fallout New Vegas, and I thought it was kind of cool.

As mentioned in my 1st reply, get something used. It opens more doors as to what you'll be able to afford. Roughy 1/2 of the 20 pistols I own, I bought used.

You're making me want to play Fallout New Vegas again!!!

As mentioned in my 1st reply, get something used. It opens more doors as to what you'll be able to afford. Roughy 1/2 of the 20 pistols I own, I bought used.

You're making me want to play Fallout New Vegas again!!!

Oh, I have no problem buying used. Honestly most of the used stuff I see is functionally new, apart from being "tested" a few times at a range. I sort of prefer buying used actually.