Ok guys, ive never built my own AR before so im going to be pretty frank with my question. What do i need besides stripped lower, lower parts kit,etc. Not looking to make anything fancy. I just want to pick up an extra hobby to kill some time when im home. Not really concerned about price. Thanks guys.

Just building the lower and purchasing the complete upper or are you building both? Lower is easy as pie to put together, upper is a different story. I pieced together and built my lower, my upper i purchased complete..

Well as of know looking to build the lower and then build the upper or purchase next month. I can get a stripped lower and old school has the parts kits for 165 shipped trying to figure out if all I need is the stripped lower and the parts kit he has

You may want to hold off on this. You are assembling an ar15 in what might be the worst time in modern history to do so. The majority of the parts you need are not available and wont be for months.

thats not true, if you want something you will find it. might pay a bit more now then before. but things can still be found these days.

thats not true, if you want something you will find it. might pay a bit more now then before. but things can still be found these days.

Yeah if you want to spend lots of money, yeah you can find stuff. Overall it is true. How many places have bolt carrier groups in stock? Mags? Complete upper? Bcg itself is a rare find these days.

Yeah if you want to spend lots of money, yeah you can find stuff. Overall it is true. How many places have bolt carrier groups in stock? Mags? Complete upper? Bcg itself is a rare find these days.

eh you can get stuff still decent priced some a little more. the hard thing to find is a bcg right now but they still pop up here and there. especially if you want a complete upper. pkfirearms is one of the places who seems to keep having complete uppers. also watch on the ar15 forum theres sections for all parts and people update constantly. in the past week i could have bought a few complete uppers with bcg but chose not to because i dont have the money right now.

At this point, most of the effort will be in find parts, building it will take no time at all.

true you will spend some time to find the parts. but you can find them.

I can't wait to build one but I refuse to pay $300 or more for a lower that sold for $100 two months ago. There were lowers available from one company yesterday, 300 of them actually. They sold out in a matter of a few hours if that. Crazy.

At this point until all this crap winds down people are going to snatch up anything that hits the market and either 1) hoard them or 2) try to capitalize on the demand to flip them quickly for a large profit. At some point tensions will ease up, demand will subside, production will catch up and some schmuck will be sitting on 100 lowers he paid $150 each for with the hope of flipping them with a $300 price tag and new lowers will once again begin to be in plentiful supply from the manufacturers for around $90 again (ban or no ban).

What no one realizes in this frenzy is all these manufacturers need to do if a new, tougher ban is enacted is engineer a bolt or pump action upper (just like DPMS did in the '90s) and all the parts (including lower receivers) to keep building semi-autos will continue to be available under the radar and in spite of the laws anyway.

Do you really think the guys in Texas and some of the other southern states really cared that the law said they couldn't build ARs with flash hiders, adjustable stocks and bayonet lugs on them in the '90 when all the parts were always readily available to do so the entire time the ban was in place? This whole federal ban thing is a complete joke and to add insult to injury 3D printable magazines will make any magazine ban just as equally ineffective.