johnott

Some Dem Senators avoiding email contact....

I was at the computer this evening writing some emails to the US Senate Judiciary Committee members. I was expressing my opposition to pending firearms legislation and here is what I found:

I had no problem emailing any of the Republican Senators, but when it came to the Dem's... the website of Dick Durbin of Illinois wouldn't accept any emails except from in-state constituents (you have to supply a valid Illinois mailing address and zip). The web-page of Richard Blumenthal of CT allows you to fill out the email form, but after you click "submit" you are informed that he is only accepting emails from CT constituents.

They may be the Representatives for their respective states, but they are pushing gun control legislation that affects citizens from all states. They do have a snail mail address but IMO all US Senators should have equal access by all citizens.

I'm pretty sure that their phones still work, and if all else fails, just copypasta the email you would have sent to snail-mail.

I mean, the hard part is writing the letters and all that jive.

It's not that hard to do but it's harder than it has to be, especially if they already have a publicly posted email address.

I think senators are just using this tactic as a way to avoid negative feedback.

In this day and age where everyone uses email and texting... I find it objectionable that any Representative at the Federal level would effectively ban email communications with groups of citizens solely based upon their state of origin. Thereby leaving us to seek a slower more rudimentary means of contact.

What a surprise! They don't want to hear from anyone who has an opinion that differs from theirs. I have run into the same problem when emailing out of state politicians.

They only want to hear from folks who's vote "matters" to them.. shocker. I don't see a big conspiracy or strategy. Would you prefer the accept your email and throw it away when they realize you're not from their home district?

Interesting thread on reddit regarding contacting Congress.. from the POV of the guy answering the phones..

http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/17njfx/as_one_of_the_guy_answering_your_calls_to/

Will you please refrain from lecturing me about the 2nd Amendment or yelling at me? For the past several weeks, almost every pro-2nd Amendment call I've received has devolved into being told I'm paid too much (I don't get paid anything) and yelled at despite the fact that the Rep. I work for is about as strong pro-guns as they come (as am I). If you want to earn our eternal gratitude, please do the following:

*Only call the Representative or Senator that represents you. Any calls to other Reps. or Sens. only create pointless work for us and the Congressman/woman you called will never see it. Yes, this includes Feinstein and Boehner.

*Simply tell us to log your view as being against the AWB and against the magazine capacity limitation (if that's your personal view) and we will log you as such. You need to provide your name and mailing address to be entered into the system that the Member of Congress looks at (in most offices).

*Lecturing me or my co-workers on the fact that "assault rifles" is a bs term, etc. is pointless. If you really want to debate the Rep/Sen's view on the issue, ask to speak to their 2nd Amendment/Firearms Legislative Assistant. We have ZERO input into how the Congressman votes.

*EDIT: It's pretty much a one man-one vote system. Once you express your views once, we mark you as such, and thats it. Multiple calls/letters don't do anything but create more paperwork for us.

Thanks!

Interesting thread on reddit regarding contacting Congress.. from the POV of the guy answering the phones..

http://www.reddit.co..._your_calls_to/

I think this deserves it's own post, if it isn't up there already. There are probably people constantly calling/writing/faxing and heckling these offices every day. According to this, once your position on the matter is tallied, extra correspondence on the matter is a waste of everyone's time.

I was at the computer this evening writing some emails to the US Senate Judiciary Committee members. I was expressing my opposition to pending firearms legislation and here is what I found:

I had no problem emailing any of the Republican Senators, but when it came to the Dem's... the website of Dick Durbin of Illinois wouldn't accept any emails except from in-state constituents (you have to supply a valid Illinois mailing address and zip). The web-page of Richard Blumenthal of CT allows you to fill out the email form, but after you click "submit" you are informed that he is only accepting emails from CT constituents.

They may be the Representatives for their respective states, but they are pushing gun control legislation that affects citizens from all states. They do have a snail mail address but IMO all US Senators should have equal access by all citizens.

Are you surprised by this? I'm not at all. They want a peace of the trending pie but they don't want to deal with the foot work. These are the same people that think 15rd "clips" should be outlawed and reformed