Shawnmoore81

Apple TV

Roku may be the better bet and allow more flexibility. The Apple TV is more like a conduit for the iTunes store, plus some other venues like YouTube, Netflix, MLB, etc. Getting rid of cable depends on what you watch. A lot of online episodes of tv series have an obnoxious amount of commercials.

I have one and unless the majority of your media is in iTunes or acquired through iTunes I would suggest looking at the Roku instead (I have both). Roku has Amazon Instant video as well as HBO GO and lots of others. You can also stream movies/audio to it from a PC or flash drive if you get the Roku XS

Happy to answer any other questions

^

Yup.....apple blows anymore..lol

I know some die hard apple people who are getting rid of their apple stuff

Yeah... Not so much. I work in IT and we pretty much allow people the choice between Mac or Windows (and iOS or Android) and we've seen phenomenal growth of Mac. Never mind iOS vs. Android, for handhelds/tablets we're about 97% iOS.

Yeah... Not so much. I work in IT and we pretty much allow people the choice between Mac or Windows (and iOS or Android) and we've seen phenomenal growth of Mac. Never mind iOS vs. Android, for handhelds/tablets we're about 97% iOS.

You calling me a liar?

I can provide names of people who recently got fed up with their macs and iphones, and switched to pc and droids

Im glad you work in IT. Guess what...so do i.

Just because people you work for like mac, doesnt mean the whole world does.

You calling me a liar?

I can provide names of people who recently got fed up with their macs and iphones, and switched to pc and droids

Im glad you work in IT. Guess what...so do i.

Just because people you work for like mac, doesnt mean the whole world does.

Jeez, chill out. I was making an observation based on my experience just like you did.

I have the 720 and 1080 version. It is probably used more then my cable box. I use it for the Netflix, actually my kids use it for the Netflix. You need a Internet connection (Wireless or Ethernet) so you will probably need your cable company in someway. Unless you have DSL or make your smartphone into a hotspot.

So this is kind of what I do for a living. No really, I'm not just into IT. I work for a large media company that does streaming for these devices and help develop and maintain these services.

Whoever said that Apple TV is a conduit for iTunes is correct. Apple allows only its own content as well as that for a few selected partners. It's actually pretty limited. It's the most convenient way to get iTunes content on your TV though. Can't do it otherwise unless you attach your iPhone, iPad or Mac/PC to your TV with a HDMI cable. You can also do AirPlay mirroring with your iPhone/iPad/Mac. This means whatever you see on your screen will be on your TV if you want. No additional connection other than wifi needed. I would have really loved for them to open up the Apple TV to third party developers like they did with the rest of the iOS ecosystem. I'd even write an app or two myself... but they won't. There are always rumors that Apple will be going into the TV business and selling cable TV over the internet but I don't think that the networks would sign on to that.

You'll likely never see Amazon video content on Apple TV. They're arch rivals at this point. You can do Netflix though.

Roku will get you a ton of stuff. By far it is the most versatile. Some of them even do angry birds (the game) on TV.

But other than that, got a game console? Blu-ray player? Smart TV? I have all of the above. They pretty much stream the most popular services. XBOX wants you to shell out for a live gold sub before you can stream. That's $50/year? No thanks.

Yes, all of them need internet. But without cable TV you're saving $50 - $60/month. I have DIRECTV and internet from the cable company. I still come out ahead.

I have the 720 and 1080 version. It is probably used more then my cable box. I use it for the Netflix, actually my kids use it for the Netflix. You need a Internet connection (Wireless or Ethernet) so you will probably need your cable company in someway. Unless you have DSL or make your smartphone into a hotspot.

There are different versions? Shit I hOpe I got the 1080

The AirPlay feature is pretty awesome. But you need a iPhone or iPad to do this.

Me- iPhone 5, iPad mini

Wife - iPhone 5, iPad mini

Son- iPod touch

Daughter- iPod touch

It amazes me that my daughter was using an iPod before she was 2. Now is is 2 and works it easily.

I'll throw in my $0.02 too. I'm a un*x guy, so anything unix based, I'm for. I'm also married. So when I decided that Microsoft can kiss my rear-end, I had to contend with WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). I went with a Mac and OSX (I hated OS 9), instead of Linux (like I use on my laptop and at work). After that, when I made the jump to smart phones, the iPhone was really the only game in town (Android was introduced 8 months after I bought my phone). When I signed up for Netflix, I went with an AppleTV, because of the proliferation of Apple products in my house. It is easy to use, runs Netflix and Hulu Plus, and will stream from your iTunes library. That's one of the things that appealed to me. I rip the kids' DVDs to MP4 format and share them through iTunes. No more scratched/lost discs/etc.

Now, having said that, if I had it to do all over again, right now, I would go with a Linux PC, Android phones, and a Roku for the TV. I actually did pick up a Roku a few months ago and installed Plex on it and my Mac, so I can stream the same ripped DVDs to the Roku, which makes the Apple TV simply a more expensive version of the same box.