Ray Ray

Ring around my cylinder

I had just finished shooting the steel match in Central Jersey and I was cleaning my revolver when i noticed a ring around the cylinder. I'm not sure of the terminology but it's at the rear where that piece comes up to lock the cylinder? What is it from, how do i make it stop and is the cylinder scared for life?

it's called a drag mark, the cylinder stop only comes down for a moment to clear the cylinder notch on the cylinder while rotating, there is a small spring that keeps upward pressure on the cylinder stop so that it falls into the next notch.

Normal.

That's what happens when you shoot your guns raymond, o snap!

But really, i dont think it's a big deal, all my smiths have a drag mark. it's less visible on stainless cylinders.

I don't see it on my other revolvers. Well, not that bad.

It is a sign that you actually shoot it. I have been told that the Colt design leaves less of a drag line on the cylinder than S&W. Never owned a Colt revolver to confirm or deny it though.

I've heard the same thing about colts, I suspect they use a reduced power spring for the cylinder catch.

Again, ray - this is normal for a revolver you shoot. collectors that want it perfect forever buy un shot guns and never squeeze the trigger on it.

It is a sign that you actually shoot it. I have been told that the Colt design leaves less of a drag line on the cylinder than S&W. Never owned a Colt revolver to confirm or deny it though.

My 2 Colt's have no ring at all, and they are old.

only pic I could find of the innards of a colt revolver

Colt:

DSC04619.jpg

Smith:

8424894367_44a6f47da9_b.jpg

It looks like the Cylinder catch on the colt is attached to the pivot arm of the timing hand, allowing it to stay down longer and only come up at the end of the revolving cycle, whereas the smith only comes down for a moment when you first start pulling the trigger, then spring pressure keeps upward pressure and clicks into the next cylinder stop.

just the way it is , mkay?

only pic I could find of the innards of a colt revolver

Colt:

DSC04619.jpg

Smith:

8424894367_44a6f47da9_b.jpg

It looks like the Cylinder catch on the colt is attached to the pivot arm of the timing hand, allowing it to stay down longer and only come up at the end of the revolving cycle, whereas the smith only comes down for a moment when you first start pulling the trigger, then spring pressure keeps upward pressure and clicks into the next cylinder stop.

just the way it is , mkay?

alec how hard was it to fit all of the APEX parts

alec how hard was it to fit all of the APEX parts

Fairly involved with setting sear, but not impossible. I've got about 6-8 hours invested in the one I did intially, and additonal time every so often with " tweaks" , but that is mostly stoning.

I'll shoot you a PM

I heard it only makes the mark if you close the cylinder and shoot it double action, if you close it cock it back and release the hammer then shoot it won't drag read it on SW forums but mr revolver * rolls my eyes * raymundo still has no idea about guns but sure can talk that talk!!

Hey Ray. Is the cylinder in question blued or stainless? I've seen stainless cylinders finished where the back 1/2" is polished while the rest of the cylinder is brushed finish. Another way is polish a ring around the cylinder where the notches are. Not sure if you fancy that. Can you polish out the catch so it doesn't mar your finish as much when in contact?

I heard it only makes the mark if you close the cylinder and shoot it double action, if you close it cock it back and release the hammer then shoot it won't drag read it on SW forums but mr revolver * rolls my eyes * raymundo still has no idea about guns but sure can talk that talk!!

It's the same exact order of mechanical operation internally , wouldn't make a difference.