Fred2

Do gun buy backs bother you?

Driving through Morristown, I saw a big DOT sign promoting the local gun buy back.

It makes making me feel like a criminal for believing in and supporting what is one of our given rights.

Is there a way to protest these assaults on our freedom?

While others have mentioned setting up a buyers booth outside the buy back, I was thinking that something more along the line a of a pamphlet explaining how they are "wrong".

Just as an example, the State will be paying you a pittance for what can be a valuable, historically important, piece.

Teaching them how to find a dealer, get a fair value for the gun, and preserve a piece of American history may have a positive effect.

If it saves just one gun, it is worth it.

The problem with Gun Buy Backs is it's a freebie for a criminal to turn in a gun that was used in a crime and some people don't know that they can sell the gun themselves and make more money and allow someone else to enjoy it. So yes, Gun buy backs suck and are stupid.

Any state/county offered buy back will end up costing the taxpayer more money. What are the DA personnel OT costs of operating these gun buy backs. If no questions asked, why all the paperwork? Are they really going to return this property to its owner if checking shows it was lost/stolen? What are the costs when they take them to melt them down? Multiple officers watching a smelter melting them down and getting paid? Nice work if you can get it. They claim they use funds confiscated from other sources, however I am having problems believing it. Is there that much cash confiscated? And for what, to get old broken hunks of metal out of somebody's house. Let's face it, they were not on the streets. Again, feel good, make work, does nothing, keeps 'em in office, government project. We have way to many of them in this state already. Funny how nanny states are expensive to live in, have tons of useless regulations, and still has lower quality of life issues.

From the legal aspect, I still have a big problem with them. If they want to conduct buy-backs, they should do so within the framework of the existing laws -- not some interpretation by the AG that allows them to bend the law at will. They should revise the existing law to add provisions for these buy-backs. As it is, law-abiding gun owners are required to follow the laws that the lawmakers are allowed to break.

It's a waste of taxpayer dollars and the flat price for the guns implies they are either paying too much for the gun or screwing some clueless owner. If you own a gun that isn't stolen and want to dispose of it you should just go to an FFL and get a fair price. If you want to set up a booth to buy something to compete, try making an offer to buy any ammo. :-)

My father is retired and was the president of the Kiwanis of San Francisco last year or so. He donates his time for local gov jobs and assisted with a buy back program.

He said it was mostly older people, sons and daughters of deceased gun owners, widows, etc. He commented on how it was very similar to medication drops. People have these things that they don't understand, or need or want and want a safe place to get rid of them.

I'm sure if you are in a different demographic, the types of people and reasons are much different.

The concept is fine, the implementation sucks. As said above it is a huge waste of money. The worst part about the one in Morris County is they are wasting tax payers' money needlessly. Rather than destroy the guns they should sell them on consignment at some local FFL - why not let the tax payers at least recoup some of the money spend on buying them. Just remember anything the government does they do it less efficiently than a private operation would do it because they don't care about cost - just raise taxes if you need to.

Any state/county offered buy back will end up costing the taxpayer more money. What are the DA personnel OT costs of operating these gun buy backs. If no questions asked, why all the paperwork? Are they really going to return this property to its owner if checking shows it was lost/stolen? What are the costs when they take them to melt them down? Multiple officers watching a smelter melting them down and getting paid? Nice work if you can get it. They claim they use funds confiscated from other sources, however I am having problems believing it. Is there that much cash confiscated? And for what, to get old broken hunks of metal out of somebody's house. Let's face it, they were not on the streets. Again, feel good, make work, does nothing, keeps 'em in office, government project. We have way to many of them in this state already. Funny how nanny states are expensive to live in, have tons of useless regulations, and still has lower quality of life issues.

I agree 100000%

That is pretty good, but I don't see it happening here.

True. We would get chased out and pulled over before anyone can make it out of the parking lot. Reminds me of when I was in Bullet Hole waiting in line ( like usual ) and some guy was selling his deceased fathers shotguns. The guy had an FID but just needed money. The guy behind the counter offered $50 each. We all were shocked at the offer and a few of us said we would offer $250 out in the parking lot for each one. As we walked out, the employee said it was illegal and he was calling the cops. One of the other buyers said " f*ck you guys, I AM a cop".

FYI, I always keep eligibility forms in my car...you never know when you'll need one.

Just a fun story to share and the reason why I have never been back to the Hole.

Not when it's my buying the guns back from someone else.

When I see the state doing it and giving amnisty to illegal gun owners yet making me jumo through hoops

It bothers me. They should be doing like the South West does, and do the turn in check them for previous crimes

then auction them off to the local FFL's to raise money for the State and local PD's.

It bothers me because it gets news coverage and the implied message is that somebody is finally getting all the dangerous guns off the street. That message being pushed by all networks for the last 30 years is why we are where we are now.

If somebody really wanted to reduce violent crime, they would hand them out instead of collect them.