...says the police officer. Thanks, but no thanks. If you pull someone over, you are not looking for friendship and conversation, are you?

This made me giggle.

This is a good video, long but good. A lawyer is speaking to a class of law students and the second speaker is a cop turned lawyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

No reasoning with this closed minded ignorant mentality here..moving on

I'll ask you because you are an officer and have that frame of reference:

Assume you pulled somebody over and asked:

1-Do you have anything I should know about?

2-Do you have anything illegal like drugs, guns?

How should one answer to cause the least amount of grief to both parties?

Now, I understand that for those questions to be asked, things moved beyond a piddly traffic stop but please play along with me.

I'm not trying to put you on the spot or provide fodder for anybody. I'm just curious.

I'll ask you because you are an officer and have that frame of reference:

Assume you pulled somebody over and asked:

1-Do you have anything I should know about?

I'd say, "Yeah, herpes. Are you looking for a date?"

This is the type of horrifically open ended question that really jams people up when they get diarrhea of the mouth. Just say nope. If it is the truth, great. If you are lying and you get caught, you have bigger problems.

As long as the weather is nice, I would personally be fine with exercising my right to be silent and driving a cop to wasting 45 minutes tossing my car.

As long as the weather is nice, I would personally be fine with exercising my right to be silent and driving a cop to wasting 45 minutes tossing my car.

Exercising your rights does not justify probable cause to be searched.

This made me giggle.

This is a good video, long but good. A lawyer is speaking to a class of law students and the second speaker is a cop turned lawyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

I've watched this video and the examples given don't tell the entire story. In fact some of the defendants he talks about are stupid. It seems rather self serving for him to say keep your mout shut all the time just spend your money to hire me. I'm not saying there aren't times you should shut up until your lawyer gets there. But there are times you can avoid trobule or help yourself if you talk to police.

I've watched this video and the examples given don't tell the entire story. In fact some of the defendants he talks about are stupid. It seems rather self serving for him to say keep your mout shut all the time just spend your money to hire me. I'm not saying there aren't times you should shut up until your lawyer gets there. But there are times you can avoid trobule or help yourself if you talk to police.

The way I see it, you talk to police you have the possibility of: putting your foot in your mouth, getting a bad cop. If you simply say my lawyer advised me to remain silent until he is present that takes away the risk of putting your foot in your mouth or other bad things from happening.

One of the smartest things I've ever seen regarding traffic stops while carrying was done by Tom Greshem and Massad Ayoob. Tom pretended to have been stopped. Ayoob was the officer who stopped him.

Instead of saying "I have a gun" Tim just handed Ayoob his carry permit. The reasoning is that the word "Gun" has a very powerful effect on people, especially if the cop has a trainee with him who is jumpy.

But in a nutshell in NJ, the answer is no. If you are legally transporting, with the weapon in an unaccessible locked container, the police officer has no more need to know of the gun than if it were a caulking gun. It's not going to hurt him or anybody else unloaded or locked in the trunk. If he asked me if I have a gun, I'll say "yes." If he asked me if I have anything in the vehicle he should know about, I will say no.

But, I don't tend to get pulled over in the first place. I'm more afraid of a car accident than a speeding ticket.

Note that I did have a friend of mine who is in the National Guard. After the terrorist attacks, he always drove around with his rucksack and field gear in the trunk in case. This may sound strange to anyone who is younger, but that time was a very strange time and nobody knew if there would be another attack coming.

Anyway, he got into a wreck and rolled over. The trunk opened up and his field gear and army-issued 30 round magazines came spilling out of his car and were strewn all over the road. The police were ready to arrest him for possession of high-capacity magazines until he furnished proof that he was in the Guard by way of his ID card.

Now that would be an interesting news story: "Soldier arrested by the state for possession of high capacity magazines that were issued by the state."