JrzyGuy30

North Carolina

So I think I finally convinced my wife for us to take a road trip down to Durham and Charlotte to consider as a future place to raise our family (finally).... We have had a few friends move away to those states (all which are happy) so she's open to it.

So the question at hand is, taking a handgun with me down there, is it feasible? legal? We want to drive down. What do I need/or need to know? I saw NC is an open carry state without permit, so I assume I can just strap on my 9mm and be out and about if I'd like. But to get there, is another story. Do I need to separate it all in pieces and lock in the trunk or is that not even legal with the states I have to pass through?

I prefer traveling with my firearm for safety, but at not at the expense of any restrictive firearm laws...

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

Can't help with the gun thing as I flew down and didn't want to check my bags. I will tell you my friend who is living in the Charlotte area tells me OC is legal but not seen often.

Also when you are in Charlotte, take a trip to SC in the Fort Mill area. Its a really nice area, but there is no OC in SC.

thanks for the link guys... Its more for carrying the vehicle or keeping in any hotel rooms we stay in over night while we venture around. Not really OC unless I'm feeling like Mr. Cowboy that day.. ha

Well that didn't take long! Didn't you post in my thread asking how I convinced my wife? Good for you and your family. You're going to enjoy the trip, I'm not familiar with Durham but Charlotte is a great city. And I agree with the previous poster about checking out towns right across the border in SC like Fort Mill (where we are moving to this summer), Indian Land, Clover, Rock Hill. Mecklenburg County doesn't have that good a school system if you have kids which Charlotte is in. Fort Mill has the best in SC. SC has lower taxes than NC also.

Maybe we'll see you down there someday! Can't help you for transport on the way down through other states or while in NC but I'd check their state website for the real, accurate information.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. We began packing up the house this past weekend!

Well that didn't take long! Didn't you post in my thread asking how I convinced my wife? Good for you and your family. You're going to enjoy the trip, I'm not familiar with Durham but Charlotte is a great city. And I agree with the previous poster about checking out towns right across the border in SC like Fort Mill (where we are moving to this summer), Indian Land, Clover, Rock Hill. Mecklenburg County doesn't have that good a school system if you have kids which Charlotte is in. Fort Mill has the best in SC. SC has lower taxes than NC also.

Maybe we'll see you down there someday! Can't help you for transport on the way down through other states or while in NC but I'd check their state website for the real, accurate information.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. We began packing up the house this past weekend!

Good for you. I have a couple job possiblities. One near Charlotte in which I'd be getting an apartment in Fort Mill.

Taxes are lower, but if you have a newer car get ready to pay a lot in property taxes.

Any good real estate links? Just window shopping. Did a quick search in that are on realtor.com and everything was over 600,000.00!!

I am a project manager for a large construction company in nj and my wife is a speech therapist. I see her having no problem finding a job but I am not sure i would make anything near what I am making here down there

Thanks

Yes I did post and even told my wife about it and she said it was logical that the wife and you looked around down there.. she said maybe a road trip down would help my case... and the fact that homes there are going at this price: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1615-Irving-Pl-Creedmoor-NC-27522/94879273_zpid/

Regardless, I will keep you posted. We do have our first daughter on the way so any big changes won't occur till later this year early next, but if I can plant the seed and nurture it, I'm sure it'll grow in due time :)

thanks for the link guys... Its more for carrying the vehicle or keeping in any hotel rooms we stay in over night while we venture around. Not really OC unless I'm feeling like Mr. Cowboy that day.. ha

Be sure to do some local research. Some localities in NC have adopted, or are considering adopting ordinances like the city of Chapel Hill’s which restrict the open carry of handguns.

Any good real estate links? Just window shopping. Did a quick search in that are on realtor.com and everything was over 600,000.00!!

I am a project manager for a large construction company in nj and my wife is a speech therapist. I see her having no problem finding a job but I am not sure i would make anything near what I am making here down there

Thanks

tom what a small world, my wife is a speech language therapist as well!

Where are you looking at that you found homes for 600k? Did you find homes lakefront on lake Wylie or something? That's the only way I could see 600k.

Or are you looking elsewhere in nc?

I ended up finding cheaper ones. Must have has a setting wrong. I am just dreaming right now! Not sure if my wife would even want to move. Looks nice though but only heard bad things as far as the school systems go if your kids have any learning disabilities at all. Does your wife work on her own or in a school?

Good for you. I have a couple job possiblities. One near Charlotte in which I'd be getting an apartment in Fort Mill.

Taxes are lower, but if you have a newer car get ready to pay a lot in property taxes.

Ok so I had to google this because I was not following you at all and now I am a little bit concerned. SC charges "personal property tax" on vehicles (cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles). I have a truck, a boat, and a car. Hmmmm.

Thanks for pointing this out, wasn't aware of this side of things, we focused on other key things to make a decision.

I ended up finding cheaper ones. Must have has a setting wrong. I am just dreaming right now! Not sure if my wife would even want to move. Looks nice though but only heard bad things as far as the school systems go if your kids have any learning disabilities at all. Does your wife work on her own or in a school?

She worked for Rutgers DDDC for 5 or 6 yrs and for the last year and a half has been working for Hopewell Twp regional school district. She's looking into part time contract work down there as we're going to try for a second child (daughter is 19 months old now) but she will be eventually starting her own practice.

Ok so I had to google this because I was not following you at all and now I am a little bit concerned. SC charges "personal property tax" on vehicles (cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles). I have a truck, a boat, and a car. Hmmmm.

Thanks for pointing this out, wasn't aware of this side of things, we focused on other key things to make a decision.

There are certain items that are exempt from the tax on real & personal property in SC.

http://www.sctax.org/Tax%20Information/property/prop.html

My wife works per forum through the state. Only way to go. Especially with kids. We have 3. 5,3 &1. You can set your own hours. Just put aside money for taxes. Average is around 70 per hour for early intervention. Not sure what pay down there would be like. My biggest concern would be for me. Not sure what pay scales are like. Plus we count on my job for health care. May have to take a trip to check out the area. 2 of my children have Allergy issues and we go to CHOP a lot. They would have to have great resources for children down there. Keep me updated!

There are certain items that are exempt from the tax on real & personal property in SC.

http://www.sctax.org/Tax%20Information/property/prop.html

Yeah I jumped the gun on that. It's really commercial boats and other boats that can qualify as a residence which mine cannot. The personal property tax is just like any MVC registration.

Yeah I jumped the gun on that. It's really commercial boats and other boats that can qualify as a residence which mine cannot. The personal property tax is just like any MVC registration.

It can be pretty high if you have a brand new car which is valued high. Take notice that not too many people down there own new cars.

It can be pretty high if you have a brand new car which is valued high. Take notice that not too many people down there own new cars.

Never heard of a vehicle tax.. from prelim quick search online, it looks like its capped at $150 a year though (x2 = $300) .. and I'd gladly pay $300 a year in car taxes and $2000-3000 in prop taxes for a 3500 sq ft home that would cost me $15000 a year in property taxes!