scohen2002

Best scope for rem 700 .308

I'm looking at high end scopes, I think I know which one I want but I'm curious for more opinions. My requirements are at least 20x power and a bdc dial knob. Ideally I want an 8-25x or 6-20x type. Budget is $1500. My current front runner is the leupold vx-3l 6.5-20x56 side focus target.

This is a better scope than Leupold...

Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50 HDMR

Very happy with mine and just ordered another one.

Here is a link to where to buy it...

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d69.html#p147

Call or email Scott for his best price. Remember to buy a quality set of rings like Seekins or Badger Ordnance. This will set you back another $125-150. And if you dont have a good scope base you will need to buy one of those too ($100 for the Seekins).

So the scope, rings, and scope base should get you around the $1500 mark.

I was wondering the same thing. Best answer on best scope was on youtube.

Like Shane said, the scope you get really depends on what you plan on doing with it.

For my 308 AR, I just went with a NIkon M-308. I didn't want to spend too much money on a rifle scope that I would only use for target shooting. I find it difficult to justify the cost if I could only use it out to 300 yards in NJ. The Nikon only goes out to 16x but it has a BDC for out to 800 yards.

Nightforce scopes are nice. I'd like to slap one of those on when I build a Rem 700. I just need to find a range that I would be able to make it worthwhile.

MidwayUSA has a bunch, I think like 6 or 8, Nightforce scopes on sale for $1599 (Some of them were like save $300 so that was a nice discount).

I looked at the exact Leupold you mention back in October and November, now I don't mean to sound anything but helpful- but are you sure you want that "L" series from Leupold, with the dip-built-into the bell so it sits really low on the barrel w/ the hump "riding" over? I just didn't like it, I mean I was letting everyone convince me it was the best etc. but in the back of my mind, I just wasn't comfortable with it...I was very very close to a particular VX3 4.5-14x50 illuminated B&C and also a few VX3Ls, just something to think about.

Ok this decision really tormented me for a while. I hope I chose wisely... Time will tell. I got the bushnell elite tactical 6-24x 50mm. Thanks to for the advice especially to bullzeye and Shane. Shane, I used to think a bdc would help with target shooting, now I realize its more hunting ad sniping than calm target shooting.

Today I zeroed in the new scope at ft. Dix. I am super happy with it so far. It's crystal clear, bright and very very easy to use. I highly recommend people consider this as serious contender to some of the scopes that cost 2 or 3 times as much. Once zeroed in the 24x makes shooting at 200 yards unbelievably easy. Hoping to push it out to 500 yards next week.

I never found bushnell to be of even near superb quality

No dispute, i settled a bit, i think the Bushnell was a good match for me at about half of what i thought i would have to spend to get a "quality" scope that went out to the ranges i wanted. I should have initially said quality, not high end :)

Scopes, gun's, accessories, cars, tvs, everything in life is balancing act between what you want, what you need, what you can afford, and even what you know. I arrived at a good place, i could have paid 3 or 4 times more, but am still happy.

I never found bushnell to be of even near superb quality

No dispute, i settled a bit, i think the Bushnell was a good match for me at about half of what i thought i would have to spend to get a "quality" scope that went out to the ranges i wanted. I should have initially said quality, not high end :)

Scopes, gun's, accessories, cars, tvs, everything in life is balancing act between what you want, what you need, what you can afford, and even what you know. I arrived at a good place, i could have paid 3 or 4 times more, but am still happy.

Post a pic of it mounted

Did you read the title? Lol

Yeah but thanks for your concern.

There are more than 30 Remington 700s listed on their website right now.  This rifle looks a lot like the Remington 700 AAC-SD I have bought fairly recently, but I notice he has a crowned barrel and I have a threaded barrel, so I am pretty sure he doesn't have an AAC-SD.  yet the next most likely rifle does not come with that stock, which is why I asked what rifle he had.

I was operating under the impression the gentleman would know what I meant and simply say the model he had of 700.

But thanks again.

I bought it used, and it didn't come with a manual or box or anything. So to the best of my internet dective abilities i believe it's a Remington 700 SPS Varmit with 26" heavy barel. What ever it is i absoluley love all 9 or 10 pounds of this fat bastard.

Yeah but thanks for your concern.

There are more than 30 Remington 700s listed on their website right now. This rifle looks a lot like the Remington 700 AAC-SD I have bought fairly recently, but I notice he has a crowned barrel and I have a threaded barrel, so I am pretty sure he doesn't have an AAC-SD. yet the next most likely rifle does not come with that stock, which is why I asked what rifle he had.

I was operating under the impression the gentleman would know what I meant and simply say the model he had of 700.

But thanks again.

Thanks for the cool story but it was still in the title!