Sign in to follow this  
Old Dog

Florida passed a law allowing teachers to carry in school

While some States are passing laws to restrict guns, Florida has just passed a law that amends the existing gun laws so as to allow teachers to carry guns to school. However, the law leaves it up the principals as to which teachers can carry.

Unless you lived in a gun friendly State you have no idea of how the whole culture and beliefs about guns can be so different. You can talk about guns while getting your hair cut or talk to the girls and guys painting your house. Most are pro gun and it is rare to start a gun discussion and have anyone oppose what you say. Some may not agree with you but they will keep their mouths shut as they are a small minority. So now we have laws that say teachers can carry in school if the principal permits it. We continue to pass pro gun laws despite Zimmerman and Newton as we do not see the instrument used by the criminals as the problem but rather the criminals themselves.

I'll be in route there Friday evening for a few job interviews and vacation.

85% of my family lives down there only 25min away from 60% of my girlfriends family....... Why I'm not there yet is beyond me....

because you've been brainwashed not to leave, :punish: Did that help???

While some States are passing laws to restrict guns, Florida has just passed a law that amends the existing gun laws so as to allow teachers to carry guns to school. However, the law leaves it up the principals as to which teachers can carry.

Can't wait to move down in a few months! Since you say principal, I guess this is only k-12...any word on colleges that you're aware of?

Found the bill text at http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Documents/loaddoc.aspx?FileName=_h1097__.docx&DocumentType=Bill&BillNumber=1097&Session=2013

Lines 28-30 say " 'school' means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career

30 center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic" which gives me hope, but the language of the rest of the bill sound very k12 focused.

Anyone care to weigh in with your interpretation?

Found the bill text at http://www.myflorida...97&Session=2013

Lines 28-30 say " 'school' means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career

30 center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic" which gives me hope, but the language of the rest of the bill sound very k12 focused.

Anyone care to weigh in with your interpretation?

You didn't read it correctly..

That deals with the punishments of discharging a weapon in one of those places..

scroll down further and school for carrying is defined as..

For purposes of this subsection, "school" means any public elementary school, middle school, junior high school, or

secondary school.

This applies to K-12 only.