1LtCAP

One of my hobbies

yep. and the second highest scoring ace, tommy mcguire has mcguire afb named after him. marge is just inside the security gate, although we all know there's no way it;s the original one.......

Chicago's O'Hare Airport, named after the Navy's Edward "Butch" O'Hare, another CMoH holder. He was killed during the war, shot down by another American pilot during a night engagement.

Chicago's O'Hare Airport, named after the Navy's Edward "Butch" O'Hare, another CMoH holder. He was killed during the war, shot down by another American pilot during a night engagement.

i hadn't known that about o'hare.......

in the fso i talked about.....we've got friendly fire on. meaning that if you accidentally shoot a friendly, he's taking damage. of course it's still just a game, and the real guys it was life/death to them.......

but in the game, a fight gets hectic VERY quick. kind of like........fly an hour, bored outta your skull, monitoring instruments, maps, etc.....then suddenly all hell breaks loose......

we did a "battle of britain" setup a few months back. i was in a spitfire mk1. i dove in on a ju88, and was walking my fire in from his right engine to the fuselage, to take out his rear guns, when my squad co flew right through my sights. i dinged him up, but didn't take him down.

one of the coolest things, is in one specific arena, i think i mentioned.....axis vs allies. in there, there are no icons for the aircraft. those that mentioned that they've flown know what i mean......in that arena, you need to use your gunsight to know the distance of the enemy, and you really don't know what you're about to merge with till he's just about past ya, so that makes it a bit harder yet. i gotta find some of the screenshots to put up.........

from an encounter i had....me in p-38g vs me-109.........

spotted the bogie, jettisoned my tanks.....

avabs1.jpg

on merge, i had "E" over him, so i went up....you can see him just off my left wing going away....

avabs2.jpg

avabs3.jpg

this guy was good....it was all i could do to keep him basically in front of my 3-9 line....

avabs4.jpg

avabs5.jpg

finally some hits scored....

avabs6.jpg

on the following pic, for reference, if the wingspan of a 109 fills the outer ring....he's 200 yards out. he's a lot closer here.....

avabs7.jpg

My Uncle Mike was in the Army Air Corps. He originally started flying the B-25 Marauder bomber, but switched over to fly heavy transports flying over "The Hump." After the war, he went to work for Pan-Am, eventually flying 747's until he retired in 1981. He would die a year later of a brain tumor, never getting to enjoy his retirement.

dam, i am soo sorry dude. i truly hope that this line of conversation is not bringing up bad memories for you, as that was not its intention.

No, not at all. Those guys are true heroes.

This thread is really cool

I fly FSX with a Cessna style yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals (Saitek Pro). I wonder if my hardware would work with this game. I know FSX has a "Combat Pilot" mode too but I've never tried it. I just fly civilian missions

I am currently building a dedicated computer for Flight Sim. Because FSX only uses 1 processor core for nearly everthing it is necessary to overclock in order to render busy airspace at the highest detail levels. I plan on overclocking a 3.7Ghz i7 to around 5Ghz using a bigass liquid cooler. All I've got so far is a military style case and the cooler but I should have everything together in a few months

I need to pick up Aces High

Can you communicate with your squad over a headset in the game or do you type messages to your teammates?

This thread is really cool

I fly FSX with a Cessna style yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals (Saitek Pro). I wonder if my hardware would work with this game. I know FSX has a "Combat Pilot" mode too but I've never tried it. I just fly civilian missions

I am currently building a dedicated computer for Flight Sim. Because FSX only uses 1 processor core for nearly everthing it is necessary to overclock in order to render busy airspace at the highest detail levels. I plan on overclocking a 3.7Ghz i7 to around 5Ghz using a bigass liquid cooler. All I've got so far is a military style case and the cooler but I should have everything together in a few months

I need to pick up Aces High

Can you communicate with your squad over a headset in the game or do you type messages to your teammates?

i think FSX has some civil air patrol type missions in it, and skins for our aircraft.

i almost got a yoke, and a multi- throttle quadrant for extra realism since i normally fly a p-38, but decided to go with the stick, and single throttle. there's really not enough advantage in the game to differential throttling.

yessir, we have voice comms, and text. voice comms can be programmed onto your buttons. i have "general" mapped to a button on my throttle, and "squad only" mapped to the "T" on the keyboard. additionally, we(the 325th) use teamspeak, which i have mapped to my keyboard too.

Doesn't anybody play outside anymore? Here's a shot of me crossing the Verazzano Narrows bridge on my way into the Hudson River Corridor. Plenty of bogies on this flight, although the Cessna doesn't have guns.

Not a screen shot, sorry. :-)

post-6308-0-20246100-1366984096_thumb.jpg

i haven't been up in about 5 years. renting a cessna is just getting too expensive.

I hear you. A nonprofit flying club is a good way to bring down costs, if you fly enough to amortize the buy-in and dues. There are a number of them around.

I can fly an hour in a Skyhawk or Cardinal for less than the cost of shooting 3, maybe 4 boxes of commercial .45 in an hour.

Thanks 1LtCAP

Doesn't anybody play outside anymore? Here's a shot of me crossing the Verazzano Narrows bridge on my way into the Hudson River Corridor. Plenty of bogies on this flight, although the Cessna doesn't have guns.

Nice! My practice area is Island Beach State Park down to the lighthouse. Can't wait to get my PPL and explore up there. I used to fly JFK-SYR (self loading cargo) twice a week during twilight and looking out the left window on departure, crossing over the north tip of Manhattan looking down the island, is one of the most beautiful sights my eyes have ever seen. I can still visualize the lights of each avenue sequentially popping in and out of geometric focus as we floated by. Particularly the lights of Times Square when you're exactly perpendicular. What a beautiful place from a distance

Finally found some photos I took of a low level training flight through the Adirondacks a few months ago. 300 knots at 300 feet, pretty intense to say the least. I imagine anybody out in one of those cabins was probably pretty surprised...

photo6.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo9.jpg