Frank Rizzo

Shooting my Mosin.. 1st Impressions

Obtained a couple Mosins last weekend, never had or shot one in my life, not sure what to expect. Before hitting the range I double checked the head space and firing pin height then gave them a quick clean and lube. Took one to the range today and loaded it up with Russian surplus ammo. Was kinda like "will this thing fire?".. oh man was I in for a surprise. Shot perfect and HARD. The thing with its iron sights was super accurate, I was amazed how well it shoots. Was shooting standing up, not from the bench. It was louder than anything else that was currently in there.. hee hee. Ran 60 rounds of ammo through it without a hitch. Only side effect was the cosmoline bleeding up thru the hand guard because it got so hot, smelled good too. ;) If I had anymore ammo, I would not have used it, my shoulder was toast. Currently I have a black & blue spot on it. Ehh.. small price to pay for having way too much fun. I cant wait to shoot again, just gonna bring a pillow for my shoulder. :) The rifle I shot is on the right, the rifle on the left is identical and may have to fire that one next time.

post-6194-0-85056100-1366688655_thumb.jpg

Yeah that was me. Cool guy next to me let me shoot the Chiappa Rhino revolver, sick gun. :)

Yeah that was my buddy Rob, I was the bearded fella shooting with him.

Mosins are very addicting and affordable, you also get kinda intimate with it, specially if it came to you covered in cosmoline.

Well its not so affordable anymore, as they slowly climb up in price.

The recoil is abusive but satisfying, except when the wife shot it for the first and the last time.

You would never believe what kind of mosins I have seen and held. Some of the guys here are completely in love with mosins. But I won't get into that.

The best part of owning a mosin is to bring it with you at the range and bring your friend that you don't like and then let them shoot it without giving them a warning. :)

I love me a dirty old Nagant!!! I have a few some I keep as issued and others I play around with. I put this on all but one of mine because she was good enough out of the box. http://www.smith-sights.com/

I will be bringing my m44 to GFH Friday to try out a brass stacker mount with a cheep pistol scope.

Wanna avoid the black and blue shoulders without the need for a pad, shoulder that rifle tight and lean into it pushing forward.

Thats pretty much what I was doing, pulling it tight into my shoulder before putting my finger on the trigger. My shoulder is still slightly sore and the black&blue is almost gone. ;) I ended up buying this pad.. http://www.amazon.com/Shooterpads-Recoil-Gel-Filled-Pads/dp/B00081Q7E4/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1366803981&sr=1-4&keywords=mosin+nagant+recoil+pad As for the sights, they were just fine. With the target at 25yds, this beast was very accurate. I need to take it to the 50yd line and see what it can do.

Shot two more Mosins today... black & blue came back! Woo hoo!! I ended up folding a bath towel multiple times for a pad and it worked very well for shielding me from the recoil. Now it feels like I was hit with a ball peen hammer rather than a sledhammer. ;)

My brother gave me a gun about 10 years ago. It's been at my dad's house this entire time.

I finally had him dig it out this weekend while I was home....and it turns out it was a Mosin.

The barrel is FOULED in this thing...it's going to take me an hour or so to scrub it out. Any tips?

I don't know the first thing about these, but I suppose it's time to learn!

post-5674-0-95481800-1367293358_thumb.jpg

I absolutely LOVE the bolt in this gun! I'm willing to bet I can fully rack the bolt in about a half a second.

My brother gave me a gun about 10 years ago. It's been at my dad's house this entire time.

I finally had him dig it out this weekend while I was home....and it turns out it was a Mosin.

The barrel is FOULED in this thing...it's going to take me an hour or so to scrub it out. Any tips?

I don't know the first thing about these, but I suppose it's time to learn!

post-5674-0-95481800-1367293358_thumb.jpg

I absolutely LOVE the bolt in this gun! I'm willing to bet I can fully rack the bolt in about a half a second.

Is that a Finnish M91? That wood and rear sight makes it look Finnish.

More/better pics please.

I believe it is a 1941 Finnish M91 with a Tikkakoski barrel. I'll post some more pics when I get home.

(It looks exactly like this one)

0010_small.jpg

You might have a decently valued mosin if its a Finnish variant

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

I believe it is a 1941 Finnish M91 with a Tikkakoski barrel. I'll post some more pics when I get home.

(It looks exactly like this one)

Finnish Mosins are thought to be the most accurate out of all the makers of Mosins. And also some of the nicest wood coloring/grain, IMO.

Look forward to seeing pictures of the markings. :)

If you don't know about this website, there is tons of useful info.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM91F.htm

I don't believe Tikkakoski barrels are marked A,B,C in the later years(1940-1943). The link I posted can give you a lot more information then I ever could.

Beautiful rifle man. Don't refinish it and ruin it.