bowbag

rejected pistol permits

I'm a little pissed off right now so excuse my spelling.  Ok, so I got my Firearms Purchasers ID card back in 2000.  I initially got it with a pistol permit and bought one.  Then a around 2005 I got some more permits and bought a couple more pistols.  This was all through my local state police.  Five months ago I put in for some more pistol permits.  After not hearing anything for so long I called up the barracks to find out why such a long delay.  I was told it's because I triggered the mental health warning because I was hospitallized when I was 15.  Which I was, I also didn't put that on my form because I was a minor AND because it's never come up before.

Now I'm being told to get permits I need to go to a shrink and be approved to own firearms.  wtf!  Do mental infractions when you're a minor really apply?  The cop told me he was doing me a favor by not submitting it to trenton and waiting for me to get the proper paperwork in line, although no one called me for five months!!!

Yuck, what a mess.  I see the shrink I went to back then is still practicing so I guess I could go back to him and see if he'll certify me a capable human being.  This all happened 20 years ago but he was a friend of the family so maybe he'll help me out.  Although I really doubt many shrinks are too eager to validate their patients to purchase firearms.  The cop hasn't submitted anything so I have time to sort it out without anything being effected in trenton.  They must have expanded the mental health check but this really caught me off guard.  Going into people's records when they were minors is a bit invasive if you ask me, like they're fishing for reasons to not give permits.

You signed a release when you filled out the form that lets them go and check this stuff, they did not do anything wrong.  Just get it fixed and be happy they are working with you.

It was at Saint Claire Riverside near Summit NJ if I recall and voluntary, not sure what class of institution that is.  I just find it odd that this is showing up now.  Never in my adult life has this ever come up.  I am going to get the letter, provided I don't have to go through some sort of analysis for months or something crazy like that.  If they're will to start going into minor records get ready for people being rejected for rehab visits as teens, JV as teens, all sorts of infractions.  It's gonna be a treasure trove of items to reject people for. 

njgunowner:  The state does know it was a one time thing.  They knew the exact date I was in and the amount of time I was there.

I do not think it's impossible and I dont think you are going to be the only victim of this going forward.

Exactly what is happenning to you is what the Federal Government wants to do with everything through Obama care.

Mix that in with what they consider "Common sense gun laws" and the day you may have put that pill in your mouth for

your childhood ADHD may end up sealing your fate depending on who determins who can and cannot have firearms.

Since 2010, the New Jersey Administrative Office of the Courts has been compiling a database of mental health records of individuals who have been involuntarily committed using federal grant money. So far they have inputted more than 350,000 records dating back to 1975 and have transmitted them to the FBI for inclusion in the NICS. In a recent Philadelphia Inquirer article, Glenn A. Grant, the acting director of the New Jersey court system, stated that more than 85 gun purchases have been denied based on these records. Currently New Jersey voluntarily participates in this program. This bill would codify the state’s participation and expand it to all records of those federally-prohibited from owning a firearm.

Now guess who will be determining and defining the term " Mentally ill" like I said before expect this to happen to a lot of existing gun owners.

If you have every been on SSRI's espically in the last 5-10 years I would follow this very closely and get a great 2A laywer on retainer.

Since 2010, the New Jersey Administrative Office of the Courts has been compiling a database of mental health records of individuals who have been involuntarily committed using federal grant money. So far they have inputted more than 350,000 records dating back to 1975 and have transmitted them to the FBI for inclusion in the NICS. In a recent Philadelphia Inquirer article, Glenn A. Grant, the acting director of the New Jersey court system, stated that more than 85 gun purchases have been denied based on these records. Currently New Jersey voluntarily participates in this program. This bill would codify the state’s participation and expand it to all records of those federally-prohibited from owning a firearm.

My guess would be they are compiling many more records then just involuntary committs with grant money.  In my case anyway I was voluntarily commited and my parents fronted the bill.  I remember cause it was a pretty major bill.  The timing would fit though cause I was able to get some pistol permits without issue as late as '07(or around there).

I don't think I made it clear above but I was commited for just over a week as a minor in 1993 and they're just dragging it out now.

This seems very strange, I would think they should either let you buy more hand guns OR come take away the ones you already have.  How can they justify not allowing you to buy more when you already have some - these laws are just so stupid.