ClangClang

Help me build my first AR!

This past week I picked up a stripped lower and a LWRC "Deluxe" Lower Parts Kit.  After watching a couple videos, I have no doubt that I can build this with ease.  Where I could use some help however, is selecting some parts.

Some points to consider:

• What I want to build, first and foremost, is a "fighting carbine." Since I'm not an LEO, nor an operator (who operates operationally) Home Defense will be its only "real" usage outside of range days
  • That being said, I have a hankering to start entering 3-gun competitions and maybe take one of those multi-day classes as well (I'm bouncing around the idea of going to a Haley Strategic class at some point later this year)
  • I don't have a firm budget in mind. Don't want (AKA can't afford) top shelf, but definitely don't want to be "penny wise but pound foolish" either.  I prefer to buy once, cry once.
  • Primary interest is reliability.  Everything else comes secondary.  This will be a "forever gun" so I want to get it right the first time. (I never sell anything)

My next purchases are going to be the grip and stock.  I've pretty much decided on an Ace Skeleton stock and a Magpul MIAD grip but if anyone has alternate suggestions, I'm all ears.

I think for my first AR, I'm comfortable building the lower but mounting the barrel, tuning the gas tube, etc might be a bit above my pay grade, not to mention that I would need to buy a bunch of additional tools to make it happen.  All that has me leaning to simply buying a complete upper.  That being said, it would be great if I could get a built but "stripped" upper where I can select my own hand guard, sights, etc. 

Can anyone recommend an upper? Preferably in stock (hahaha).  Anyone have any words of wisdom in terms of where to go from here?  Things I need to decide: Barrel length and twist rate, piston vs DI, etc

Thanks in advance!

I have a light carbine that I use to shoot fast inside the 100 but can bring it to center mass 300 yard hits with a magnifier.. 

I run a 14in barrel with a perm attached brake to get to 16... agreed on mid length gas system.. definitely smoother and lighter IMO...

my upper is Spikes and I run it real dirty and it has been very reliable.. 

Apparently its super dangerous to build your own lower [/sarcasm]

I bought a Bravo Company EAG HS complete upper. Bought it NFA so I can have my own compensator pinned on.   I have to say I love it.  Very light and quality is very high.  I don't think they have any instock though. 

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw.htm

This, however, is. 

Buy it.  

ETA:

They do NOT do compliance work to make this NJ legal.  If you already have the lower at your residence I would suggest having this shipped to a location that does not have other gun parts so you can have the compliance work done.  

Apparently its super dangerous to build your own lower [/sarcasm]

I bought a Bravo Company EAG HS complete upper. Bought it NFA so I can have my own compensator pinned on.   I have to say I love it.  Very light and quality is very high.  I don't think they have any instock though. 

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw.htm

This, however, is. 

Buy it.  

ETA:

They do NOT do compliance work to make this NJ legal.  If you already have the lower at your residence I would suggest having this shipped to a location that does not have other gun parts so you can have the compliance work done.

If He Doesnt Have A Stock Yet The Gun Wont Work So He Can Have It Shipped To His Home. The Only Thing That Needs To Be Done On A BCM upper Is The Bayo Lug. 5 Min With A Grinder And Hes Good To Go.

I Hav That Exact Upper And It Is Top Notch. my Build Isnt Done Yet But The Fit Finish And Feel Is Great.

If He Doesnt Have A Stock Yet The Gun Wont Work So He Can Have It Shipped To His Home. The Only Thing That Needs To Be Done On A BCM upper Is The Bayo Lug. 5 Min With A Grinder And Hes Good To Go.

I Hav That Exact Upper And It Is Top Notch. my Build Isnt Done Yet But The Fit Finish And Feel Is Great.

Pb - of the models listed on the BCM page, which muzzle device did you get?

Lastly, if I have a stock, but remove said stick to other place or residence does this allow me to have the upper mailed to me?

My #1 criteria for my AR's is light weight and centralized mass. As a result I don't hang a lot of crap on my rifle; and if I do I want it as close to the CG of the rifle as possible.

Check out the PDQ Ambi Bolt Stop that MAC just reviewed. I would consider this for a new build as I have always found the bolt release a bit cumbersome.

Lastly, if I have a stock, but remove said stick to other place or residence does this allow me to have the upper mailed to me?

you can't use it with the flash hider so if you want to be safe just have it mailed to an FFL....

with that said I would not personally lose sleep over having it shipped to me directly.. providing I was going to weld on a brake shortly after receiving it...

Luckily I have a residence in another state, so that upper (with the A2 flash hider) is on the way to me over there.  I'll probably walk it in to the local gunsmith and have him pin/weld on a brake before bringing it back to NJ.  I can grind the lug myself.

What brakes do people use?  I've been looking at the Miculek but I really don't know what "features" I'm looking for, one way or the other.

i got the lw 14.5 mid length upper with the bcm gunfighter mod, 1 comp. because it is a 14.5 in barrel they have to pin and weld it on to sell it as a non nfa part. the comp is 1.5 in which brings the oal to 16 in which is the minimum.

as far as the stock, as long as something needed internally to make the gun go boom isnt there i would feel fine ordering it right to my home. i did and just took it to my fiends house to grind off the fsb and bayo lug. i wanted a low profile gas block but i couldnt switch it as the comp is welded on. so i just took a grinder and chopped it off. took all of an hour taking my time and smoothing everything out as best i could. a coat of cold bluing and it looks pretty decent

you people really make this whole process a lot more difficult than it really is. read the laws and follow them.

i got the lw 14.5 mid length upper with the bcm gunfighter mod, 1 comp. because it is a 14.5 in barrel they have to pin and weld it on to sell it as a non nfa part. the comp is 1.5 in which brings the oal to 16 in which is the minimum.

as far as the stock, as long as something needed internally to make the gun go boom isnt there i would feel fine ordering it right to my home. i did and just took it to my fiends house to grind off the fsb and bayo lug. i wanted a low profile gas block but i couldnt switch it as the comp is welded on. so i just took a grinder and chopped it off. took all of an hour taking my time and smoothing everything out as best i could. a coat of cold bluing and it looks pretty decent

you people really make this whole process a lot more difficult than it really is. read the laws and follow them.

Thanks for the tips...

Just an fyi you CAN order it without the pinned brake (nfa) as long as its just the upper and you dont have the rest of the parts.  They have no issue shipping it to you.  I did this for the 14.5 upper I bought and had someone put a Spikes Dynacomp on it and grind the bayo lug.  

plenty of uppers that are available right now, at least compare to two months ago. price is a big factor as they go from PSA ($600ish) to HK ($1900).  also, you need to decide if you want DI or Piston.  one thing is for sure, this will not be your last build. :) 

plenty of uppers that are available right now, at least compare to two months ago. price is a big factor as they go from PSA ($600ish) to HK ($1900). also, you need to decide if you want DI or Piston. one thing is for sure, this will not be your last build. :)

I've been keeping an eye out as well and there still aren't that many complete uppers for sale for decent prices. I've seen a lot of kits but I dont feel like dealing with headspace and such and would prefer fit to be done at factory.

I've been keeping an eye out as well and there still aren't that many complete uppers for sale for decent prices. I've seen a lot of kits but I dont feel like dealing with headspace and such and would prefer fit to be done at factory.

Look at the BCM website. The most you'll need to do is slap on handguards, and toss in a CH and bcg