wooly bugger

New Mosin report

Just picked up my Finn M39 and Russian 91/30. Both shoot much better than my M44 (although I may also just be getting more practiced.)

The Finn shoots as well as my CZ452, which is a tack driver. I was getting some vertical strings, but I think that's due to inconsistent cheek weld.

I also tried Wolf steel case ammo, which shot just as well as the more expensive Herter's.

OK, here are some pics and questions:

First the Finn M39 overall view

Finn.jpg

Then the receiver

Finn1.jpg

A marking on the trigger guard. I think the "M" stands for "myyty," which according to Lapin means "sold," as in "sold as military surplus. I don't know what the deformed star is.

Finn2.jpg

And another I can't decipher on the bolt. Interestingly, the bolt has the bow and arrow "made before 1928" mark, even though the receiver is marked 1942. I wonder if they took a pre-27 bolt and fitted it to the newer receiver. The bolt as a matching SN, but it's stamped on the handle knob, rather than on the bolt body.

Finn3.jpg

So, I conclude this rifle was made in 1942 at the Sako factory. I'm not sure what to make of the other markings.

The mark on your bolt is a Russian "Izzy" arsenal stamp. The Finns built almost no receivers, rather they took captured Russian M91's and some 91/30's, or in some cases they bought Mosins from other countries or were given them as aid (by the Germans who captured them in battles) and rebarreled them and reworked them. The tang on that rifle will tell you it's true age, the date on the barrel is when the Finns reworked it.