kc17

Intro & question

Greetings all, just joined, lots of great info on here but I did not see an answer to my specific question already.

Here's my situation, I've had a FID since 2001, picked up a shotgun when I got it, re-issued my FID about 8 years ago when I moved to a new county, picked up a .22 rifle few years ago. Now I'm looking to get a pistol. I just picked up permit application yesterday, dealing with NJSP in Hamilton (Mercer Co) since I have no local PD. Hoping the permit will be a little faster since I already have my FID??

I've pretty much decided on S&W M&P9, which from what I've read can be tough to locate. A friend of mine really wanted the M&P when he bought but wound up with the Beratta PX4 because he could not find an M&P. I shot his PX4 yesterday, and the M&P (and every other 9mm available at the range) and the M&P called to me the most. 

So my question... do I try to locate a M&P while waiting on the permit and hope the dealer will hold it for me, or do I need to wait to get my permit? What is the chance a dealer will hold a gun for me while waiting for my permit? Clearly this will vary on the dealer, but which is more likely? If I find the gun and dealer is not willing to hold can I have it sent to an independent FFL while I wait on my permit?

TIA

Kevin

Welcome. If you pay for it and it won't be a 6 month wait(or whatever extreme it will be atvthis point) a lot of dealers many of which on here will hold it

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

Welcome!

First, good luck with the permit wait, from what I've read here there seems to be a longer wait when dealing directly through the NJSP than with local PD.

In my experience, gun dealers and gun shops are willing to hold a firearm with a deposit. They understand that the wait time in NJ is an affair and most want the return business. I have had a pistol on layaway for the last two months and luckily will be starting the NICS process with it next week. Since you mention Mercer county, you might want to check into Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters, they will hold a firearm with a deposit.

You should mention your location in your profile to make it easier for members to suggest  shops and FFL dealers in your area.

Good luck with you purchase and permit wait time!

Location updated.

I stopped into Cheyenne yesterday, it was mobbed & my stomach was growling so I didn't stay. Took a quick look (in between bodies) and didn't see any M&P of any variation on display.

Trooper told me although I could drop off application 24/7 it was a good idea to do so during "banker hours" since an on duty Trooper during those hours could review at that time and notify me of any potential problems I could address then & there. Problem with that is I work during and beyond "banker hours" so I either take the chance dropping off on my time or wait till mid-June when I'm off and can go on his suggested time. 

Kevin, I woud check with George at Plumsted Arms which if you're in Cream Ridge is right in your neighborhood (He's a vendor on this site, username is nuclearheli).  Great small local FFL to deal with.  I had a lower transferred to him a couple of months ago and while there and talking with him he did mention that he's willing to work with people if they find something and want it transferred to him while they wait for their permits to come.  But again, I'd check with him.  He might be able to locate an M&P 9mm for you.

Good luck with the permits and the NJSP in Hamilton.  My local Hamilton PD took 4.5 months for my 3 permits, and from what I've read of others experiences with that barracks the wait is just as long if not longer.  But who knows you may luck out.

I was just in Cheyenne on Tuesday of this week around 7pm buying my M&P Shield .40SW and I hadnt seen it so dead in there for MONTHS!  It was a wonderful change to how it usually is there.  I am surprised you didn't see any M&P's because there gun rack and pistol cases were pretty full when I was there.  But I believe a lot of people who submitted for permits in Dec./January are finally getting them back and are coming out in swarms.  There were 4 separate people that tried to come into Cheyenne that night right at 7:55pm to get pistols and they close at 8pm.

I'm heading over there this morning to pick up some ammo.

Welcome to the site!

I saw George in the vendor section, could not find a website for him; he mentioned in a post he hoped to have that up soon. I assume he (or any other FFL) would have some type of a "finder's fee"? I'm fine with that so long as it's reasonable. I will probably reach out to him at some point. 

Cheyenne could have had an M&P on display and I just could not see it through the masses. 

I still want to have my wife fire off a few rounds on the M&P just to make sure there's no deal breaker from that outcome. This will be my gun, but I want to make sure she can handle it if ever needed. 

I saw George in the vendor section, could not find a website for him; he mentioned in a post he hoped to have that up soon. I assume he (or any other FFL) would have some type of a "finder's fee"? I'm fine with that so long as it's reasonable. I will probably reach out to him at some point. 

Cheyenne could have had an M&P on display and I just could not see it through the masses. 

I still want to have my wife fire off a few rounds on the M&P just to make sure there's no deal breaker from that outcome. This will be my gun, but I want to make sure she can handle it if ever needed. 

Have your wife get her FPID as well!

George stocks Glocks and some others, he may have S&W's I dont know.  Good guy, and unlike your experience in Cheyenne that day you wouldn't ever have that at his place.  He's got an awesome salt water aquarium too!

Welcome to the forum.

Click on "Gun Price Request" in the main menu tab and submit one.    Also, click on Marketplace, I think there is already one for sale... but in a 40.

I intend to use the GPR feature, but was going to wait until I submitted my P2P application. The Trooper that gave me the application suggested I submit it during banker hours as there would be a chance a more knowledgeable Trooper would be on duty that could review the application for me. It will be 2 weeks before I can make it during those hours. 

I think I saw the .40 in the marketplace, but I'm pretty much set on the 9mm.