Not sure if this is the correct forum, but it seemed appropriate. I have been searching the web and have been getting all kinds of mixed answers. I'm currently stationed in Cali and with any luck with be getting out within the next year and a half. I have a mp 40 and an ar (completely nj legal) what is the process for me being a resident of nj to legally own them in nj?

-I don't not have a FID

-Bought the weapons with my orders and active duty ID

-have a nj drivers license

Thanks in advance!

Mreed is correct. It is not necessary to register firearms purchased legally, outside the state, prior to moving into the state. Nor do you need a FPID in order to possess. You should consider getting one as it allows you to purchase handgun ammunition, as well as purchase long guns, and also makes travel with long guns less onerous.

Also, as Mreed said, any guns brought into the state must be NJ compliant. Don't assume that because your AR is CA compliant that it will also be NJ compliant and be aware of the 15 round maximum mag limit on any semi-automatic firearm.

I'd welcome you to the gulag, but coming from Commiefornia that would be redundant.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As said above. Get the NJ Firearms ID card to allow you to transport long guns without worries (supposed to take 30 days; in reality can be months).

DO NOT participate in the voluntary gun registration process.

Get out of the Dirty Jerz as fast as your circumstances allow.

So if you can bring any gun into NJ as long as you owned it and purchased it legally before you became a NJ resident, do you ever have to prove how you purchased it?  Suppose I have a gun I got legally when I lived in Texas.  I move to NJ and became a resident.  I am going to the range, I get pulled over, I have a hand gun locked up in the trunk, ammo is the back seat also locked up and separate from the gun.  Legally going to the range to practice.  Officer ask to see my copy of the permit or NJFID card,  I don't have it because I don't need it and had the gun legally when I lived in Texas.  This will fly? 

Officer ask to see my copy of the permit or NJFID card,  I don't have it because I don't need it and had the gun legally when I lived in Texas.  This will fly?

Best of luck. Except for the LEOs on this forum, LEOs in the great state of NJ possess almost no knowledge regarding what is or is not legal. It isn't necessarily their fault - the NJ laws are just that convoluted. The best advice is be extremely careful not to get pulled over while transporting.

So if you can bring any gun into NJ as long as you owned it and purchased it legally before you became a NJ resident, do you ever have to prove how you purchased it?  Suppose I have a gun I got legally when I lived in Texas.  I move to NJ and became a resident.  I am going to the range, I get pulled over, I have a hand gun locked up in the trunk, ammo is the back seat also locked up and separate from the gun.  Legally going to the range to practice.  Officer ask to see my copy of the permit or NJFID card,  I don't have it because I don't need it and had the gun legally when I lived in Texas.  This will fly? 

Your best bet is to save any receipts from when you purchased the gun in Texas, if you still have them.

Should your gun be confiscated, it will eventually be returned to you (unless the gun is stolen property) because the "authorities" would not have any legal reason to seize it from you. You do not need a permit to own a handgun in NJ, only to buy a handgun. Having a receipt would make it easier to prove you bought it legally.

b. Licenses and permits. When the legality of a person's conduct under this chapter depends on his possession of a license or permit or on his having registered with or given notice to a particular person or agency, it shall be presumed that he does not possess such a license or permit or has not registered or given the required notice, until he establishes the contrary.

It really is a matter of conduct. I have never had an LEO ask to see inside my trunk or my briefcase or bag. If you aren't doing something stupid there would be no reason to assume the guns aren't legal. My FID is in my wallet but that does not prove anything. I do not carry around my handgun permits or receipts and have some guns that are so old I have no idea where they are anyway.