AlexTheSane

Wife applied for her FPID

Today (Day 118 of my Wife's application) she got a letter from LPD stating "While reviewing your application...I noted that one of your references indicated on the questionnaire...that you suffer from sever allergies.  Whenever there is any indication of any type of physical ailment that the applicant suffers from, it is necessary for the applicant's doctor to provide a note addressed to my attention that the physical defect or disease, in your case severe allergies, does not make it unsafe for you to handle a firearm."

I was astonished at this!  I mean allergies, really?  Lack of an FID does NOT keep my wife from handling firearms--she can still handle them in any legal venue such as inside the home or on our land, or in at the range.  So I really do not understand the relevance of the request.  I think it is either a delay tactic, or (to give the benefit of the doubt) they are just trying to cover all bases.  And how can a doctor, who is not likely a firearms expert, make that call any better than the person applying for the FID?  I knew I should have gone for my PhD ;-)

Presumably the reference form asks about any medical or physical ailments, so I can understand one of her references listing this.

It is really not a big deal to get this, so I will probably just submit it and complain later--after she gets the FID and P2Ps.

What says the forum?  Do you think this is legal?  Am I overreacting by feeling outraged?  Like this is an infringement on her civil rights (well, I guess I felt that when I moved to NJ).

That's great... Unless your wife's allergy is to lead, brass, or gun powder I'd be pretty annoyed at the person I used as a reference.

"Soooo, you thought my shellfish allergy was something the PD needed to know about, huh?"

Based on the reference I can't really fault the PD. They aren't doctors so at least they appear to be willing to take the word of her primary physician on it.

So, to some of your points.  First of all, is this legal?  Constitutionally probably not, at least in it's basic tenant, I would venture to guess at least some of our founding fathers had allergies and I am 100% sure they would not even consider limiting anyone's right to bear arms based on whether they had watery eyes and a runny nose.

Now as to NJ legal, and this is a very slippery slope, probably.  Asinine...absolutely, legal in this cesspool  of NJ nonsense... probably.  At the very least very difficult and expensive to overturn.

That's great... Unless your wife's allergy is to lead, brass, or gun powder I'd be pretty annoyed at the person I used as a reference.

"Soooo, you thought my shellfish allergy was something the PD needed to know about, huh?"

Based on the reference I can't really fault the PD. They aren't doctors so at least they appear to be willing to take the word of her primary physician on it.

My contention is that the lack of FID does not prevent anyone from legally operating a firearm--on ones land, at the range, or any other legal NJ venue.  I thought the FID was only for purchase and transport.  And I cannot fault the reference, depending on how the question is worded, I may have answered the same thing.

Usually I just answer with "I do not know" when I get a reference questionaire.  And some of the questions on refernce forms I have received--"what kind of person is the applicant?"  I don't even know what that means, so I usually just write American.

Today (Day 118 of my Wife's application) she got a letter from LPD stating "While reviewing your application...I noted that one of your references indicated on the questionnaire...that you suffer from sever allergies.  Whenever there is any indication of any type of physical ailment that the applicant suffers from, it is necessary for the applicant's doctor to provide a note addressed to my attention that the physical defect or disease, in your case severe allergies, does not make it unsafe for you to handle a firearm."

I was astonished at this!  I mean allergies, really?  Lack of an FID does NOT keep my wife from handling firearms--she can still handle them in any legal venue such as inside the home or on our land, or in at the range.  So I really do not understand the relevance of the request.  I think it is either a delay tactic, or (to give the benefit of the doubt) they are just trying to cover all bases.  And how can a doctor, who is not likely a firearms expert, make that call any better than the person applying for the FID?  I knew I should have gone for my PhD ;-)

Presumably the reference form asks about any medical or physical ailments, so I can understand one of her references listing this.

It is really not a big deal to get this, so I will probably just submit it and complain later--after she gets the FID and P2Ps.

What says the forum?  Do you think this is legal?  Am I overreacting by feeling outraged?  Like this is an infringement on her civil rights (well, I guess I felt that when I moved to NJ).

The question is usually some version of "Does the applicant suffer from any phsyical defect or illness".

I would be pissed if my references couldn't figure out that within this context things like allergies, lactose intolerance, bad acne, halitosis, a crooked nose, missing teeth, etc., have no relevance.

I mean they're all some form a physical defect/illness, but c'mon.

"Le sens commun est fort rare."

Just got the letter from the PD saying her FID was approved and we can come pick it up any time.  Four months and 12 days.e three

Now I just need to convince her that we need to use all three P2Ps that come with it.

My wife and I applied for ours the same exact time. We went together. Mine were ready two weeks ago. She is still waiting. I called and complained about the wait, but she didn't. We submitted them Feb 11.