gleninjersey

Ruger GP 100 in .327 instead of .357

Did you check Meltzer's in Garfield?  They always had GP100's , but that was before all the craziness happened.  I would definitely choose 357 over 327 just for ammo availability.  I reload so I can always get 38/357 brass.

I paid close to 550 for mine, but that was about 4 yrs. ago.

Sure the GP100 costs less, so does Craftsman over Hilti, Kia over Dodge, McDonalds over Bobby Flay ! you get my point. There is a reason you are paying less, sure - they both go * Bang! * but you need to consider quality , reputation, and resale value. When I sold my GP100 I took a huge hit on it, S&W's typically hold their value, and ussually increase in value over time.

If having the lock on your smith and wesson is an issue you can do one of two things, find one of the bazillons of used 686s produced without it, or stop by my place and i'll remove it for free.

Also, unless you plan on reloading... Dont bother with the .327, others have mentioned plenty of good reasons. I've personally never seen .327 on the ammo shelves, IMO it's sort of an obscure round. Stick with 38special / 357. It's cheap, common, and plenty of it out there.

GP100 will likely serve you just fine, but just throwing out some information.

Thanks for the input and information, I'll be sure to take you up on the offer of removing the lock when I pick up the 686+ .....in a few months.  Just put a deposit down on the GP100 in .327.  I called around and places near me had ammo (in .327 and .32).  I'll order ammo online and stock up.  Going to be about 3 weeks until the background check is done.  I'll let you know when I get and we can meet somewhere so you can try it out and I can shoot some of your S&Ws so I can see what I want next!

Why did you opt not to purchase the GP100 .327?

I almost bought the Smith and Wesson 686 Plus (I was really, really close to getting it) but two things stopped me:

1.  The incidents I have read about the internal lock freezing the entire gun up and rendering it completely useless.  While I realize it is very rare, I'm not willing to bet my life on it NOT happening to me at the exact moment I need the gun to work.  I haven't heard of any instances of the GP100 locking up like this.

2.  The price for a S&W 686 Plus is about $150 or $200 more than a Ruger GP100.  I would rather save that money for ammo or my next gun purchase.

Heritage Guild in Easton PA had the S&W 686 Plus in stock (I think in a 4' SS finish) last Saturday when I was there.  They were asking $819 for it.  I also called RTSP in Randolph and they had the GP100 but only in 6 inch and they wanted close to $900 for it!

It is a very nice gun but for my first gun I want reliability (the internal lock freezing the entire gun up negates this), simplicity and to a certain extent affordability.  The Ruger GP100 wins 3 out of 3 of those.  The S&W 686 2 out of 3.  

If I already owned an extremely reliable revolver,I would have no problem purchasing a S&W 686 Plus.  Aesthetically, it is a beautiful gun and the trigger is very smooth.  .  Maybe I'll own one down the road but not for my very first handgun purchase.

The lock is really a non-issue that you should not be worried about. As others have said it can be removed very easily yourself, no gunsmith needed. Prices on both guns are all over the place. There are good deals to be had if you can be patient. There are dealers on gunbroker that don't charge for shipping. You just need to search around. On gunbroker there is a rating system so you can check on a seller and see what their reputation is like. I have bought two with no shipping charge and my father has as well. No reason to pay $50+ for a transfer when there are FFL's that will do it for $35-$40, including NICS. As far as problems with the gun itself, they will tell you to contact the manufacturer, just like a local shop would probably tell you. I tried both the GP100 and the 686 before buying and I liked the S&W more. I was patient and found a brand new American Series 686 for a good price with no shipping charge. I was all in (transfer fee and NICS included) for under $700. If you are in need of a home defense gun you should consider a shotgun while you wait for the right deal to come along. Good luck with your hunt.

Did you check Meltzer's in Garfield?  They always had GP100's , but that was before all the craziness happened.  I would definitely choose 357 over 327 just for ammo availability.  I reload so I can always get 38/357 brass.

I paid close to 550 for mine, but that was about 4 yrs. ago.

Meltzer's doesn't have any .357 GPs or 686s.  All sold out.

Paid $579 for the GP .327.....all in with background check fee and tax it is $636.  I'll have to stop in Meltzer's some time.

The lock is really a non-issue that you should not be worried about. As others have said it can be removed very easily yourself, no gunsmith needed. Prices on both guns are all over the place. There are good deals to be had if you can be patient. There are dealers on gunbroker that don't charge for shipping. You just need to search around. On gunbroker there is a rating system so you can check on a seller and see what their reputation is like. I have bought two with no shipping charge and my father has as well. No reason to pay $50+ for a transfer when there are FFL's that will do it for $35-$40, including NICS. As far as problems with the gun itself, they will tell you to contact the manufacturer, just like a local shop would probably tell you. I tried both the GP100 and the 686 before buying and I liked the S&W more. I was patient and found a brand new American Series 686 for a good price with no shipping charge. I was all in (transfer fee and NICS included) for under $700. If you are in need of a home defense gun you should consider a shotgun while you wait for the right deal to come along. Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks for the input.  I'll probably use one of the sites you mentioned in the future.  Where do you shoot at?  Would love to check out your 686s some time.

IMHO .327 was invented as a solution for a problem that really doesn't exist, since Shootists like myself aren't clamoring to shoot a magnum in a J-Frame anyway!  .38+P Federal Hydro-Shocks are on-duty right now in my Model #19 4", and I see no benefit to additional recoil and muzzle flash, especially from a hard-to-find when the SHTF "obscure" round fired out of an even shorter BUG Gun barrel.  To my way of thinking, my .38+p Hydro-Shocks in a K-Frame 6-shot with extra-small J-Frame rubber grips would be SO MUCH easier to practice with and buy ammo for!  So a 2.5" Model #19 with J-Frame sized grips would do just fine--they just don't make them any more, so you have to know and appreciate the "Old ways" like me.

Dave 

WOW!!!  Background check is done.  Not sure if you count the weekend so it was 3 days or 5.  Much faster than I thought and had anticipated.  Was told to expect 3 week wait.

Guess who will be picking up their first handgun on Saturday and then prob heading over to Heritage Guild in Easton to do some shooting!  Or maybe I should just call in sick tomorrow ........   :)

Sounds good.  Where do you shoot at?  I've only shot at Heritage Guild in Easton so far & I live in central NJ.

Consider joining EFGA in Easton. Its 60$ for the whole year and 30$ to renew the year after that.

www.efga.net

I k there 2-3 times a week. PM me i you want to check it out.

Sounds good.  Where do you shoot at?  I've only shot at Heritage Guild in Easton so far & I live in central NJ.

I usually shoot at Shore Shot but Im thinking about joining Range 14.

Glad to hear your NICs went thru. When was it submitted? Mine was put in monday. Hoping to have my GP 100 for the weekend too. It is sitting in the safe at my FFL waiting on the call.  Enjoy the gun and post pics!

-Scott

Consider joining EFGA in Easton. Its 60$ for the whole year and 30$ to renew the year after that.

www.efga.net

I k there 2-3 times a week. PM me i you want to check it out.

Thanks for the invite.  I would very much be interested in checking it out, not this weekend though.  I'll PM you in the near future.

I usually shoot at Shore Shot but Im thinking about joining Range 14.

Glad to hear your NICs went thru. When was it submitted? Mine was put in monday. Hoping to have my GP 100 for the weekend too. It is sitting in the safe at my FFL waiting on the call.  Enjoy the gun and post pics!

-Scott

Was in the store (Sportsman Rendezvous in Flemington) on early Saturday afternoon to put the down payment and pay for the NICs.  So it was much, much quicker than expected.  The store told me probably 3 weeks and it was only 3 business days!

Was in the store (Sportsman Rendezvous in Flemington) on early Saturday afternoon to put the down payment and pay for the NICs.  So it was much, much quicker than expected.  The store told me probably 3 weeks and it was only 3 business days!

Great maybe mine will be done tomorrow or friday!

-Scott

So just got back from Heritage in Easton.  Wife and I ran 100 rounds (50 .32 long and 50 .327) through it in about 30 minutes or so.  Wanted to give her a quick primer on how to operate the gun and what it felt like to shoot it.  She shot really well and I was impressed!  Especially since she has only fired a gun once before and that was about 25 years ago.  With some time she'll become more comfortable and even more proficient with it........i just hope she doesn't become a better shot than me!  She wasn't very comfortable with the the .327 rounds but had no problem with the .32s.

I haven't shot a .357 in over 2 months when I tried the Ruger SP100 and Smith & Wesson 686 (rented them at Heritage Guild) but the Ruger GP100 in .327 seemed a lot smoother but still backed a heck of a punch.  All in all I'm very satisfied with my first handgun purchase and look forward to doing some more shooting. 

Shot my GP 100 today at Range 14. Man am I happy I finally bought a revolver! This thing is awesome! It eats up the recoil of the .357mag rounds very nicely and the .38special rounds are smooth. Shot 100rds with no hickups or fatigue at all.

-Scott

I had a S&W .327 and sold it. Big mistake and I think I will buy another. What I like is that the .327 is similar to the .357 but with less recoil. The best part is that you can shoot just about any .32 out there from the very mild to the powerful .327. Gives you a lot more choices in ammo than a .357 does.

Shot my GP 100 today at Range 14. Man am I happy I finally bought a revolver! This thing is awesome! It eats up the recoil of the .357mag rounds very nicely and the .38special rounds are smooth. Shot 100rds with no hickups or fatigue at all.

-Scott

Congrats on finally getting it!  Where did you shot at?  I've only shot at Heritage in  Easton.  Damjan Blues is showning me EFGA (outdoor range a short distance from Heritage) tomorrow afternoon and I'll eventually make my way over to RTSP to check them out.

Congrats on finally getting it!  Where did you shot at?  I've only shot at Heritage in  Easton.  Damjan Blues is showning me EFGA (outdoor range a short distance from Heritage) tomorrow afternoon and I'll eventually make my way over to RTSP to check them out.

Went out to range 14 at Fort Dixs ( or the joint base as its now known).  Great range and love shooting outdoors. Dont know if I can shoot indoors anymore after that experience. The .357magnum still BANGS outdoors and makes people turn an look lol.

-Scott